NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
What ive read is the the nvme's really work wonders if youre doing tons of read and write type shit. Video editing, mass data transfers, etc.. But for normal use and gaming they are not even faster than the old gen SSD. At least none that you will notice.

True and not true - when youre loading games for the first time, maps, zones, levels, and anything of the sort. I have 2 2TB XPG Blade S70 in Raid-0 for my game drive and the difference is night and day when it comes to loading things like that. I remember when i was using WD Raptor drives thinking shit was going quick and listening to that HD churrrrn. I havent used a 2.5 SSD in about 2 years. The last build i used them on was my Azza Cube, and im likely going to build something in the Azza Regis later on this year and make that my main rig.

I actually liked the cube more than my current O11D XL when i think about it. However everyone and their mom has an O11 nowadays so it loses its appeal.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New RAM/MOBO/CPU wouldn't POST, kept giving a 54 LED code and trying to reinitialize. Flashing to the latest bios using the built-in Flash fixed it... good thing I bought a motherboard with post code LEDs and built in flash... (but maybe a cheaper motherboard would have just POSTed in the first place looooool.)

Fucker

Log Wizard
What ive read is the the nvme's really work wonders if youre doing tons of read and write type shit. Video editing, mass data transfers, etc.. But for normal use and gaming they are not even faster than the old gen SSD. At least none that you will notice.
New games are getting pretty fat. High res gaming means a lot of shit is getting pumped around. Besides, they are cheap as donuts these days.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New games are getting pretty fat. High res gaming means a lot of shit is getting pumped around. Besides, they are cheap as donuts these days.
Yeah, this XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade is insanely cheap and fast.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, this XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade is insanely cheap and fast.
Seems like everything is getting insanely fast these days. Ipad fast enough. A14 bionic SOC in that thing is stupid fast for a tablet....hell, it is faster than a lot of desktops. MBA with M1 SOC, faster than Ryzen 3700X in some operations while using a fraction of power and only a little bit of heat. Had to get a new iphone, and it is silly smooth. My old one was only 2 generations old, but this iphone 13 kills it. New Macbook have huge CPU power and do it quietly and not turning themselves into space heaters. Intel dropping a huge WTF bomb with their new CPUs. It is a good time to be a propeller head.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Seems like everything is getting insanely fast these days. Ipad fast enough. A14 bionic SOC in that thing is stupid fast for a tablet....hell, it is faster than a lot of desktops. MBA with M1 SOC, faster than Ryzen 3700X in some operations while using a fraction of power and only a little bit of heat. Had to get a new iphone, and it is silly smooth. My old one was only 2 generations old, but this iphone 13 kills it. New Macbook have huge CPU power and do it quietly and not turning themselves into space heaters. Intel dropping a huge WTF bomb with their new CPUs. It is a good time to be a propeller head.
My cinebench score more than doubled and I haven't even fucked with this thing yet. XMP isn't even turned on (because of that whole BIOS fuckery earlier.)

Granted the 9700K was kind of a stupid piece of shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I mean of course youre gonna buy the nvme these days. The cost difference between nvme and not is what? Like $25-$30? I was more speaking to the OMG you get 4808 giggamegajoulewatts PER SECOND....bullshit which is kinda pointless in every day tasks that everyday gamers use.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I mean of course youre gonna buy the nvme these days. The cost difference between nvme and not is what? Like $25-$30? I was more speaking to the OMG you get 4808 giggamegajoulewatts PER SECOND....bullshit which is kinda pointless in every day tasks that everyday gamers use.
1643914893207.jpeg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Difference between SSD/HDD is huge.

Difference between NVME and a typical SATA SSD? Means fuckall. I always crack up at people breaking their bank for 5 BAJILLION MB/s READ/WRITE PER SECOND!!!!! Total waste of money chasing that shit. All you should care about are reliability ratings.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Difference between SSD/HDD is huge.

Difference between NVME and a typical SATA SSD? Means fuckall. I always crack up at people breaking their bank for 5 BAJILLION MB/s READ/WRITE PER SECOND!!!!! Total waste of money chasing that shit. All you should care about are reliability ratings.

Video is 3 years old.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Video is 3 years old.
You're right. Current NVME drives might shave off another 0.2 seconds of load time over a 970 Evo in games.

Phew! Imagine the possibilities 8sec difference on boot time provides me! Over an entire year I'll have saved almost a whole hour! An hour I would've just spent playing games/browsing the internet anyways, because nobody can do ANYTHING meaningful in 8sec increments except wait for boot.

• 1Imbecile

Fucker

Log Wizard
You're right. Current NVME drives might shave off another 0.2 seconds of load time over a 970 Evo in games.

Phew! Imagine the possibilities 8sec difference on boot time provides me! Over an entire year I'll have saved almost a whole hour! An hour I would've just spent playing games/browsing the internet anyways, because nobody can do ANYTHING meaningful in 8sec increments except wait for boot.
It is almost as if there's more to it than loading times.

• 1Tiresome

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
So what is the current "method" of tryna get a new card? I have no personal brand loyalty, and if the market were normal I'd go for the $999 MSRP ones, as I want the most bang for my buck and I'm assuming the last price jump to top tier 3090/6900 doesn't have an equivalent % increase in performance (correct me if I'm wrong, please). However, I do currently use UWS 3440 rez and have an eye for the new ultra-ultrawides coming out soon, so absolute top tier GFX card wouldn't be the worst thing.

Is there like a site or app I need to get on? Do I set bestbuy.com as my homepage and refresh it every time I remember? Do I offer to suck Xexx's dick? Help a brother out here.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what is the current "method" of tryna get a new card? I have no personal brand loyalty, and if the market were normal I'd go for the $999 MSRP ones, as I want the most bang for my buck and I'm assuming the last price jump to top tier 3090/6900 doesn't have an equivalent % increase in performance (correct me if I'm wrong, please). However, I do currently use UWS 3440 rez and have an eye for the new ultra-ultrawides coming out soon, so absolute top tier GFX card wouldn't be the worst thing.

Is there like a site or app I need to get on? Do I set bestbuy.com as my homepage and refresh it every time I remember? Do I offer to suck Xexx's dick? Help a brother out here.
Enter daily newegg raffle or join other waitlist like evga ahs
Join various discords and get alerted to drops then play the lotto in queues hoping you get one
Pay scalper prices on various market places(offerup, fb marketplace, cl etc.)
Pay some shady scalper or third party for access to a bot to maybe buy you one

I got my 3080ti from signing up for the waitlist the day before EVGA launched theirs.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Uhh they certainly do, its just youll run into games that simply dont benefit. Youre talking 500-600mb for sata3 drives compared to 2000mb+ for nvme drives.
7000+ for top of the line NVME PCIE 4.0 drives, like the Samsung 980 Pro, the XPG Gammix S70, and the WD SN850.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
7000+ for top of the line NVME PCIE 4.0 drives, like the Samsung 980 Pro, the XPG Gammix S70, and the WD SN850.
Its all fun and games until you learn the controller on your mobo cant support those speeds. Was limited to SATA3 speeds on my hp ex920 drive for a while on my old intel system.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’m second guessing my purchase of the 980 Pro - it has no rpmz :(

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Assuming no Microcenter within 90min drive?