NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what is the current "method" of tryna get a new card? I have no personal brand loyalty, and if the market were normal I'd go for the $999 MSRP ones, as I want the most bang for my buck and I'm assuming the last price jump to top tier 3090/6900 doesn't have an equivalent % increase in performance (correct me if I'm wrong, please). However, I do currently use UWS 3440 rez and have an eye for the new ultra-ultrawides coming out soon, so absolute top tier GFX card wouldn't be the worst thing.

Is there like a site or app I need to get on? Do I set bestbuy.com as my homepage and refresh it every time I remember? Do I offer to suck Xexx's dick? Help a brother out here.
I've had a lot of luck from bundles. Most people don't want to buy a bundle of shit they'll never use, so they stay in stock a lot longer. Antonline.com has EVGA bundles that come with mice, keyboards, power supplies, AIO coolers, and always a video card. I don't give a fuck about the extra parts so I just buy the bundle and keep the parts or re-sell them.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
EVGA was directly doing bundles this week, but the problem is all the super cheap addons were sold out after the first day and then all of the good value ones followed. So by midweek you're stuck buying the more expensive bundles just to get the card you want. If you actually will use the PSUs and stuff that's fine but most people are only after a card.

Be aware that they are adding 2 GB of RAM and jacking up the price +$500 on newer models too. Pay attention to 10GB vs 12GB versions cause they're scalping the 12s directly.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Appreciate the responses! There appears to be no Microcenter here in Austin but there is in Dallas and Houston, so a day trip is definitely on the table if MC's got some l337 hookups. I'll keep a lookout for the EVGA bundles; I assume they're posted on the main page? I went through the hullaballoo of registering for their site to get on their notification list, only to find out that you need to have bought one of theirs and/or participate in their "community" to get on it! What a gyp.

Big P you got some Discord links you can send my way?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Went by MC, they had quite a bit in stock but they are all the more expensive 3rd party ones. Ended up getting a gigabyte 3060 for $520, shit is still expensive. It was either 3050 for $350, 3060 for $520, or 3070ti for $950. They actually had a 3090, was over 2k though. 3080 for $1100, was tempted but I don’t care too much about having every single bell and whistle turned up to 11, so I’ll just wait and upgrade in a few years when (hopefully) supply isn’t so awful.

Picked up an i5 12600k while there for $250, now I just have to find literally everything else.

Last edited:
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Went by MC, they had quite a bit in stock but they are all the more expensive 3rd party ones. Ended up getting a gigabyte 3060 for $520, shit is still expensive. It was either 2050 for $350, 3060 for $520, or 3070ti for $950. They actually had a 3090, was over 2k though. 3080 for $1100, was tempted but I don’t care too much about having every single bell and whistle turned up to 11, so I’ll just wait and upgrade in a few years when (hopefully) supply isn’t so awful.

Picked up an i5 12600k while there for $250, now I just have to find literally everything else.

Cheapest decent DDR5 is $300 i believe - or you can stick with DDR4 and get a D4 12th Gen board.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So you can get a 12700K for 364$ now.

Based on my experience so far, I'd strongly suggest anyone that has anything less than a 9900K or a 3800X and has the spare money to buy one and get one of the cheaper DDR4 motherboards and go for it. This chip is absolutely insane for the price.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So you can get a 12700K for 364$ now.

Based on my experience so far, I'd strongly suggest anyone that has anything less than a 9900K or a 3800X and has the spare money to buy one and get one of the cheaper DDR4 motherboards and go for it. This chip is absolutely insane for the price.

I need to do better keeping up with the Desktop thread and the other ones, not even sure what a serviceable motherboard is these days. Might do this to replace my i7-7700k and Mobo and repurpose it for a cheaper CAD/Fusion 360 box.

Amazon bundles it with an MSI Pro Z690A

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Amazon wouldn't give me a price-match even though they had knocked 14 dollars off their price before even shipping my CPU. I can understand not doing a price match after you've shipped the item but if you lower the price before even shipping the item, the price match should be automatic. (It took them almost 2 weeks to ship my CPU.)

I'm really tempted to buy one from Newegg for 18 dollars less than I paid for mine, get the Dying Light 2 free gift, and send it back to Amazon.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need to do better keeping up with the Desktop thread and the other ones, not even sure what a serviceable motherboard is these days. Might do this to replace my i7-7700k and Mobo and repurpose it for a cheaper CAD/Fusion 360 box.

Amazon bundles it with an MSI Pro Z690A
That one is fine. This one is probably slightly better:

This one is nice for the price:

(Amazon's motherboard prices are all kinds of fucked up because most of them are coming from 3rd party sellers.)

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I know people have been using this thread as a catch all for gaming PC hardware for a while, but we do have a whole damn forum for that stuff.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I know people have been using this thread as a catch all for gaming PC hardware for a while, but we do have a whole damn forum for that stuff.
Change this to the "Gaming PC hardware" thread? IDK.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Change this to the "Gaming PC hardware" thread? IDK.

Then move it to the tech forum where it would belong?

A specific thread for alerts, drops, and hardware deals in the tech forum wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd even sticky it.