NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Fucker

Log Wizard
As I'm not a big gamer, kind of curious to see that lesser cards offer and price. No idea if the increases touted for the top tier cards will scale some for the lower cards.

They are getting performance out of the top 3x by shoveling transistors at them. 18 billion 2080 vs 28 billion 3090. I'm sure they'll be faster, but not as huge if they aren't dumping transistors on them.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
As I'm not a big gamer, kind of curious to see that lesser cards offer and price. No idea if the increases touted for the top tier cards will scale some for the lower cards.

They probably will, there's a metric fuckton of casual gamers who would love a lower cost 1080p/60 /120 GPU with ray tracing. RTX3050 would probably hit that sweet spot and replace the 1660s type market.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

on the last RTX 20 series, the big cards came out in September and October, the GTX 16 series cards were released four months to half a year later. I'd expect the same thing to happen here. I guess they don't want people to buy the cheaper cards for christmas.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They probably will, there's a metric fuckton of casual gamers who would love a lower cost 1080p/60 /120 GPU with ray tracing. RTX3050 would probably hit that sweet spot and replace the 1660s type market.

I was looking the 1660 super at for a future build not too far down the line since I use 2 1080 monitors (only one for gaming at a time) Now going to wait and see. Might build a new machine and just keep the card I have now and then when things settle down replace it.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I was looking the 1660 super at for a future build not too far down the line since I use 2 1080 monitors (only one for gaming at a time) Now going to wait and see. Might build a new machine and just keep the card I have now and then when things settle down replace it.

Yeah, you're better off waiting to get a GPU as there's been rumours of a RTX3050 which will probably include ray tracing. I did a build for my nephew with a 1660super, it's a great card for the price. AMD's in the mix a bit more at these price points, so it might even be worth waiting to see what they come up with on the off chance that they make something awesome. I don't see them producing anything as good as Nvidia myself but you never know.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It’s refreshing to see some competition benefit the consumer in the age of all these monopoly companies/products.
Nvidia has 80% of the marketshare these days and it just keeps growing. We will see a literal monopoly before the decade is out if AMD doesnt get its shit in order, and/or Intel falls on their face with their discrete cards.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Nvidia has 80% of the marketshare these days and it just keeps growing. We will see a literal monopoly before the decade is out if AMD doesnt get its shit in order, and/or Intel falls on their face with their discrete cards.
Does AMD care though since they have the console market cornered? I feel like Nvidia is PC and AMD is console.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Does AMD care though since they have the console market cornered? I feel like Nvidia is PC and AMD is console.
Their graphics division struggles enough as it is. Their advancements cover both product types. Loss in revenue in one means less R&D for both.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

While true, I have a reasonable concern the other way.

AMD is now utilizing TSMC nodes almost exclusively and they are light years ahead of Samsung (and others). I suspect they will be producing 5nm at the time Samsung gets its yields on 7nm to an appropriate level.

This probably won't happen, and I certainly hope it won't - but I can easily envision a scenario where in the next 4 years AMD is the force in both CPU/GPU markets and unlike Intel/Nvidia, they can provide both at cheaper costs and with far greater efficiency. Nvidia is on 8nm Samsung for a reason.

We really need Intel to get their fucking shit together. Rocket Lake may or may not even be PCIE 4 compatible.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
While true, I have a reasonable concern the other way.

AMD is now utilizing TSMC nodes almost exclusively and they are light years ahead of Samsung (and others). I suspect they will be producing 5nm at the time Samsung gets its yields on 7nm to an appropriate level.

This probably won't happen, and I certainly hope it won't - but I can easily envision a scenario where in the next 4 years AMD is the force in both CPU/GPU markets and unlike Intel/Nvidia, they can provide both at cheaper costs and with far greater efficiency. Nvidia is on 8nm Samsung for a reason.

We really need Intel to get their fucking shit together. Rocket Lake may or may not even be PCIE 4 compatible.
Intel is most definitely fucked at the moment and going to fall behind. Ryzen 4700x will be the first time I've personally used an AMD CPU since I started using/building PC's in the 90's. GPU's though, I dunno. I feel like they have a lot more ground to cover outside of the hardware itself. Drivers, game support, etc.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No doubt, particularly in the drivers and RTX/DLSS department.

Another thought I had this morning since announcement earlier this week - while all signs point to these cards being excellent performers, particularly in RTX settings, what purpose is there for Nvidia to sit on benchmarks/reviews if they are fully confident in their product stack? Why restrict DF from posting FPS, etc? Is there a valid reason here? We know they have drivers for the cards now, and we further know all of the tech youtubers and websites have cards in hand... So, why?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
No doubt, particularly in the drivers and RTX/DLSS department.

Another thought I had this morning since announcement earlier this week - while all signs point to these cards being excellent performers, particularly in RTX settings, what purpose is there for Nvidia to sit on benchmarks/reviews if they are fully confident in their product stack? Why restrict DF from posting FPS, etc? Is there a valid reason here? We know they have drivers for the cards now, and we further know all of the tech youtubers and websites have cards in hand... So, why?
Steve from GN talked about this a ways back and one of the reasons why there are review embargoes is that allowing outlets to put them out as soon as they like results in rushed inaccurate results, and negatively impacts the outlets that put a good amount of effort into their reviews. (being late in the review process kills the revenue from the videos/articles) There's other reasons too of course, like being able to control the narrative, not having retailers panic if the consumer response is too low, and other stuff.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Steve from GN talked about this a ways back and one of the reasons why there are review embargoes is that allowing outlets to put them out as soon as they like results in rushed inaccurate results, and negatively impacts the outlets that put a good amount of effort into their reviews. (being late in the review process kills the revenue from the videos/articles) There's other reasons too of course, like being able to control the narrative, not having retailers panic if the consumer response is too low, and other stuff.
That and the drivers probably aren't finalized either.

But yeah, having a bunch of outlets race to put out rushed results for Youtube views doesn't actually do anyone any good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is funny listening to how much hate the Moore’s Law is Dead guy has for Digital Foundry. DF admitted up front that they were sponsored by / paid by / partnered with Nvidia to do the 3080 review so it isn’t like they were hiding anything.

But I do agree with GN and the like, arbitrary 1.7X and 2X or 70% blah blah scales are dumb. Just give me numbers so we can compare.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users