NVidia GeForce RTX 50x0 cards - 70% performance increase, but AI > you

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Back when I did it the biggest site for CC churning and Manufactured spending discussion was FlyerTalk. I believe Nerdwallet spawned directly from that community. There were a variety of smaller private communities as well.

When you open these cards, after searching for and finding suitable deals there are often big caveats for the "free points" or cash back, such $5k spend in the first 3 months. This country's banks are known for their predatory lending practices and will often give you a fairly substantial credit limit. If you aren't careful and do this multiple times a year you will affect both your average credit age and get into available credit lines the bureaus assess as risk. This can tank your score if you aren't careful. You need to know to manually lower the available credit on these cards and which cards to cancel and on what time frame.

If you are actively doing this you start to realize the time spent on the activity is far more worthwhile spent on learning or doing something useful, like your career.

Average credit age's effect on the score is minimal unless you are just starting out or are lol/24 and churning crazy numbers of cards per year. My average account age is around 4 years (8 new accounts in the past 2 years), and I have a score in the 820s (and a high household income.) There is no point in "manually lowering the available credit" on your cards until you are so late in the game that Chase/the other lenders don't want to extend you additional credit, and you don't lower your credit limit, you reallocate it between accounts, because total available credit is a positive effect on the score.

I don't think anyone here is advocating turning churning into a full-time job (or getting deep into the hobby without doing due diligence), but if you want to use it for "pocket money" on hobbies so that you can sock away even more money in investments, who cares? The "predatory lending" argument applies to prudent credit card behavior in general - use like cash, don't spend beyond your means, churning or not.

And to be clear, I would never spend a grand on one of these cards, either.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
If you're paying 1200+ USD for a new card every single generation and fooling yourself into thinking whatever menial upgrade it offers is totally worth it, you are the actual, literal problem.

Not supply chain, not raw materials, not component shortages... not blockchain or mining... consumers like you. That's the actual problem.

The only time I felt scammed from GPUs was when they had that thing where you could buy 2 expensive ones and link them together for like 80% better FPS.

....if the game supported it, and none of the new releases did until it was patched in like 6 months after release, which was stupid. So useless.

faille

Molten Core Raider
This is a forum for people who would camp for 73 weeks straight to get an Ogre-Dick Scepter or whatever the fuck you people did in EQ (I honestly don't know.)

Not exactly know for great use of time or valuing it properly.
Ogre-Dick Scepters were so l33t

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only time I felt scammed from GPUs was when they had that thing where you could buy 2 expensive ones and link them together for like 80% better FPS.

....if the game supported it, and none of the new releases did until it was patched in like 6 months after release, which was stupid. So useless.
yea i was rocking sli 6800s eq2 draw distance for pulling, and ssd raid to load in the raid instance first since i was mt. idk if it was a wives tale that you load first in instance and you draw the most aggro, but i never lost aggro and my guild was especially dumb (nil) on aggro management.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

LOL! I remember SLI (It wasn't that long ago I supposes). I had two 680ti's? Hell they are still in the closet somewhere.

I absolutely didn't feel ripped off with that setup. I built it in anticipation of BF4, and it worked, but I still had a 60Hz monitor and it locked it in at 60FPS.

SLI rarely was supported on games I played, so I dropped it when I built the next rig with the 1080ti.

• 1Truth!

Fucker

Log Wizard
LOL! I remember SLI (It wasn't that long ago I supposes). I had two 680ti's? Hell they are still in the closet somewhere.

I absolutely didn't feel ripped off with that setup. I built it in anticipation of BF4, and it worked, but I still had a 60Hz monitor and it locked it in at 60FPS.

SLI rarely was supported on games I played, so I dropped it when I built the next rig with the 1080ti.
yqy0khco95l11-230001991.jpg

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
  • 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had 2x 3DFX Voodoo II cards SLI'd together so I could run Quake 2 at 1024x768.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I upgraded to a Voodoo card way back when and was able to look up playing EQ in groups/raids without going LD with spell effects on.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I had 2x 3DFX Voodoo II cards SLI'd together so I could run Quake 2 at 1024x768.

I had a V2...got a new computer...and it was some kinda garbo...and the onboard card that sucked used the AGP bus...so I didn't have an AGP slot- I saved up all my schekles and got a PCI- Voodoo 5! whew...used that card until the bitter end. Never spent that much on a video card since heh.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
rofl, travel for work once and the half breed hodj can’t get enough

1712968562858.jpeg

• 1Like