Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You really dig the look of generic Unity textures?
It doesn't bother me. If they had actual talent and money it could be made to look better. I'd certainly give some indie devs a chance had they came out with a prototype that looked like this and were seeking additional funding. My point, Brad hurts this project more than he helps it at this point.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Can we just get this please?? Let's play a game of name that place! :p

rrr_img_82690.jpg

rrr_img_82691.jpg

rrr_img_82692.jpg

rrr_img_82693.jpg

Reference:https://www.project1999.com/forums/a...p/t-18950.html

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it looks good if this was 2004 and they had programmed that stuff themselves. in 2014 and bought from an online store? ehh not so much.

@muligan
erudin
freeport
highkeep and
highkeep
i knew those images, but it helps changing the names of of the jpg files too!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah getting an up and running thing like this isn't as hard as some people may imagine. You could probably do most of what he's doing without even a single line of code. Maybe for some of the scripting of inventory, loading character assets and things like that you would. But for just creating a room, painting said room with textures and dropping a PC with WASD movement most fully integrated engines with some sort of IDE support can do that fairly drag and drop. At the very worst the "code" you'd be writing would just be creating a generic PlayableCharacter object and binding things like the WASD movement, placing the camera in 3rd person behind the PC (also moving the camera with WASD) and some lighting. But it is mostly just crap like LightSource myLight = new LightSource(1f, 1f, 0f) in the scene. Not actual nitty gritty programming. The graphics engine abstracts all that away from you anymore.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So what you're saying Tenks is that Brad and his bros are just dumping a plate of spaghetti on their keyboards and charging for a screenshot of it.

Tenks

So what you're saying Tenks is that Brad and his bros are just dumping a plate of spaghetti on their keyboards and charging for a screenshot of it.
No what I'm saying is fund my kickstarter for Generic Unity Game # 5234. Stretch goal of $250,000 I create a custom texture.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
it looks good if this was 2004 and they had programmed that stuff themselves. in 2014 and bought from an online store? ehh not so much.

@muligan
erudin
freeport
highkeep and
highkeep
i knew those images, but it helps changing the names of of the jpg files too!
lol... yeah, I really wasn't intending for it to be a real game but mainly inferring you can make the old look good and it still be very true to it's beginnings. Each of those places are easily recognized and look great. I'm not expecting Brad to remaking EQ as I know he can't legally but what he is creating is going to be aged before it releases and will have to be awful good to overcome the lacking in visuals. I don't care much about graphics honestly but I think what he is displaying is indicative to what he has access to and what he is able to achieve which is not much.

Tenks

If Suinig leaves a bag of pills on his front porch will Brad leave a bag of screenshots for payment?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol... yeah, I really wasn't intending for it to be a real game but mainly inferring you can make the old look good and it still be very true to it's beginnings. Each of those places are easily recognized and look great. I'm not expecting Brad to remaking EQ as I know he can't legally but what he is creating is going to be aged before it releases and will have to be awful good to overcome the lacking in visuals. I don't care much about graphics honestly but I think what he is displaying is indicative to what he has access to and what he is able to achieve which is not much.
aye, it still would make for a good game. those images do look great, but to be honest the original images looked great too back in 99. most of erudin looked awesome, i would take that horrible fucking boat ride just to explore it. what those guys were thinking when they designed such a great place and stuck it in a spot where nobody ever went to boggles my mind. i think the most i ever saw in erudin back in the day was 4 people in those zone(s), including me.

Tenks

I have fond memories of exploring vast continents of brown in Vanguard. Around every corner was a new shade of brown I didn't know existed.

iannis

Musty Nester
aye, it still would make for a good game. those images do look great, but to be honest the original images looked great too back in 99. most of erudin looked awesome, i would take that horrible fucking boat ride just to explore it. what those guys were thinking when they designed such a great place and stuck it in a spot where nobody ever went to boggles my mind. i think the most i ever saw in erudin back in the day was 4 people in those zone(s), including me.
Erudin was a ghost town.

There really wasn't much there mobwise or gearwise, and until the hole there wasn't even a dungeon there. And Erudites didn't start with any sort of night vision.

Lesser Fey was like that too. That zone was neat. But all anyone ever used it for was maybe 1 day of a bandit camp (before they went to Nro) or mages afk-camping brownies. There was a fair amount of deadspace even in Basic EQ. Dagnors Cauldron -- it was the place that you ran through on your way to Unrest / Kedge. But there were actually goblin camps all over that zone. Just no one ever bothered.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Erudin was a ghost town.

There really wasn't much there mobwise or gearwise, and until the hole there wasn't even a dungeon there. And Erudites didn't start with any sort of night vision.

Lesser Fey was like that too. That zone was neat. But all anyone ever used it for was maybe 1 day of a bandit camp (before they went to Nro) or mages afk-camping brownies. There was a fair amount of deadspace even in Basic EQ. Dagnors Cauldron -- it was the place that you ran through on your way to Unrest / Kedge. But there were actually goblin camps all over that zone. Just no one ever bothered.
You confusing Lfay and Gfay?

Edit - NM noticed you wrote Dagnor's, SORRY CARRY ON

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Unused zone space added to the mystery of the world. It was true in EQ and was true in Vanilla WoW as well. "Hey, what the fuck do you think is north of EPL? Oh shit, where does this green raid portal lead to in Winterspring? What do you think Hyjal looks like? Where does this walled off area lead to in Silverpine Forest?

Shit was kinda cool. Except Blizzard actually delivered on fleshing those areas out and making them part of the story.