Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Z's going to be the top Pantheon streamer. $$ Dolla Billz

Gotta make that pledge money back $$

Some interesting stuff in the FAQ related to what has been discussed here lately.

DPS racing is a thing:
mgxi2RW.png

Not having a single BIS item everyone wants & launching new servers to avoid over saturation of competition:
8ryigAy.png

Avoiding MQ2/ShowEQ like programs:

mfi7D9x.png

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shards... another VG feature which is another word for instancing. You don't get your own zone, you get picks kind of like on the TLP's now.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Shards... another VG feature which is another word for instancing. You don't get your own zone, you get picks kind of like on the TLP's now.

Ah. I thought it was in the same vein as how Rift referred to their servers as shards.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the only thing in Vanguard that had shards was the Ancient Port Warehouse raid dungeon. Shards weren't true instancing since they were still all open world, but it served sort of the same purpose. APW had 6 shards, and which one you entered was determined by a selection box when you clicked the door to zone in. Each shard was a physical copy of the dungeon, and anyone could enter any shard at any time regardless of who else was in it.

So it was all open world raiding, but they made 6 copies of the dungeon because a) even though you could theoretically have 3-4 raids going simultaneously content wise, the performance didnt actually allow that, and b) raid content was late in coming and as such the game was top heavy and there were plenty of guilds ready to jump on APW raiding on day 1.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think the one thing that should be staring all developers (at least in the MMO market right now) is the fact that hard work, not theory crafting, is all that's gonna work. Make a game where you compete for each mob and then have instanced raid zones. So that you finally feel as though you've made it. Or make a game that's the other way around, where each dungeon is instanced, but raid zones aren't instanced.

Something's gotta change. You can't just continually beat a player over the head while screaming, "Are you having fun yet?!" but at the same time, you can't continually baby and pamper the child and expect him to have the same amount of fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can we stop saying shards? Especially when half of you are using the term incorrectly?

Fuck.

• 1Salty

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm fairly sure it does mean servers, not instanced zones.
which is why it's about "launching new shards", not "instancing" or "spawning".

And of course, it does not address the inevitable problem: what do you do when your shard population goes down...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
McQuaid always called new servers "shards", this has nothing to do with instancing. This is back from like the days of UO and shit when they were called shards, not servers. Because the terrm server is misleading too, since most servers are server clusters and shit anyways.

• 1Like

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

And of course, it does not address the inevitable problem: what do you do when your shard population goes down...
Merge servers like every other MMO always has?

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider

Server consolidation is a perfectly fine solution to that problem. Shit, even Sony pulled it off quite well for EQ several times.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Server consolidation is a perfectly fine solution to that problem. Shit, even Sony pulled it off quite well for EQ several times.

Considering how difficult it is to do in EQ, I'm amazed we ever got it done at all. In many ways it's amazing to me that EQ even runs at all today. The coders that have kept it running all these years in spite of its shortfalls are pretty damned amazing IMO.

• 1Like
It's crazy to see them doing so much with the funding they have, considering Vanguard had like 30 million.
It is all because of Unity. They clearly got some good funding too from somewhere, Brad said he was still looking for more, but to get to this point and have a team that big, they must have got a decent amount from somewhere. But yeah, Unity is the mvp. With Vanguard they had to license Unreal which costs a lot, and then they spent a zillion dollars trying to modify into a zoneless MMO engine. For Pantheon they have none of those costs! Unity is like a godsend for gaming imo.

Considering how difficult it is to do in EQ, I'm amazed we ever got it done at all.
I'm amazed SOE didn't accidentally delete all of Everquest considering how everyone at that company was a raging retard.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Everyone keeps saying that shards are servers, not instancing. Yet if you played VG, they specifically spoke about shards working just like an instance, where they would make several copies of a dungeon to accommodate more people. So shards=instancing.

• 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Technically, a "server" in this context is an instance of a given environment, so it is categorically correct to refer to both servers and instances as shards. Except it is an outdated term that doesn't reflect modern technology and is a really cringey RP-way of saying either of the more accepted terms.

If he means instance, he should say instance. If he means server, he should say server. Those are the accepted nomenclature, even if he is targeting a demographic that has a high chance of being in their mid-late 30s/beyond. Basic Communication 101.

• 1Salty

forehead

Trakanon Raider
Let's now debate what to call NPCs that you kill for experience. Is "mobs" an antiquated term? Please enlighten me.

• 1Like