Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Brad saysholiday would have been a bad time to launch the Kickstarter. The site will be up in January and the team will "be able to show more of the game." I'm good with that and it looks like we'll be able to see some actual content.

iannis

Musty Nester
He's not wrong. Launching a kickstarter between dec10 and January 5th or so would be pretty dumb.

Launching one in November with contribution goodies seems like it has the possibility to be somewhat smart.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Launch in January and if it succeeds it'll take out in February which gives plenty of time to get over the holiday spending sting. The Kickstarter should benefit, too, and now there's no reason not to have this thing come out with a well-developed pitch.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
It isn't just the gaming industry that is like that. I work at a company with revenueover $100 BILLION/yearandALL THEY CARE ABOUTis bottom line, saving, profit. It's crazy working at a company where you feel like the company hates you and you are just a negative dollar sign to them, feel like an axe hovering above your head all the time. It's pretty disgusting, but what are you gona do.
What's even more fucking amazing is that these companies play also their magic to not pay a dime in taxes, with fiscal paradises illusion companies charging them billions in virtual expenses to make their profit "zero". Exploitation of workers all around the world, delocalization, maximize competitivity which means lower salaries and so on and so forth. The gaming industry is just the latest in a endless serie of shitty things that changed for the worst.

We played games made with tiny budgets for hundreds of hours, if not thousands.
I have toys my dad bought me 35 years ago when I was in kindergarden that are still functioning and in one piece, nowadays we get toys that break on their own after two months. It's not that today kids are more destructive than we were.
It's like the chinese taught us to deal with shit on a daily basis: you can't have quality anymore, you only get shit, even if you play above average price, you still get shit in a can with a silver lining, but it smells like shit, it looks like shit and in the end it's still shit. Maybe if you pay over the top dollars/euros you can still find very high quality products, just maybe.

It's the whole society or maybe the whole human kind that has to sink in oblivion. Oh well, sooner or later an asteroid will put an end to our misery, just as it did with dinosaurs, maybe the next iteration will be better.
Sorry for the rant. I fucking hate the modern world. I'll hide in my house playing games, ok?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
That sucks. Why not work somewhere else?

And for the record, revenue isn't profits...
You can use profits if you want. Usually revenue streams is what's used when discussing with the MBA types.

It's a very sad state of affairs. Bet we as gamers have a responsibility to call it like it is. There is an objective difference between the industry of today and the industry of yesteryear, outside of nostalgia. Financiers and the increasing size of budgets have played a role in this industry, and that role is not for the better.

I have hope in things like Kickstarter. But I also adored Blizzard at one point too. They have not handled success like we all thought and are approaching EA in terms of respect now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That sucks. Why not work somewhere else?

And for the record, revenue isn't profits...
I'm aware, we make billions in profit too, but all financials people talk about is revenue so I used that. All profit goes to shareholders anyway I guess.

I don't work somewhere else because the job itself is nice, I just don't like the company. I also worked my way up, don't have any college, so I'm assuming I'd struggle to find something equal to what I'm making now. I'm also still kind of nervous of moving jobs since 2009/layoffs. It was so hard to find work. I know it's not like that now but I don't feel secure like I did before that.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Launch in January and if it succeeds it'll take out in February which gives plenty of time to get over the holiday spending sting. The Kickstarter should benefit, too, and now there's no reason not to have this thing come out with a well-developed pitch.
I wasn't expecting a whole lot of in game stuff. It's cool he dropped that.. Looking forward to seeing what they have.. It was definitely getting too close to the holidays for a KS.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This thread could reach meltdown way quicker then I thought. Can't wait till he shows off those cartoony graphics and everyone loses their fucking minds.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread could reach meltdown way quicker then I thought. Can't wait till he shows off those cartoony graphics and everyone loses their fucking minds.
Yea I don't know about that one.. Never say never but I don't think those graphics fit with the type of audience he is trying to attract. For the record it wouldn't bother me but I know it's a deal breaker for others.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Someone will have a nervous breakdown if the shoulderpads exceed a certain width. Calling it.
If his gamedoeslook like WoW, it means he has learned nothing from the mistakes of numerous other copycat failures before this, and in that case I would be confident enough to stake money on his failure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again- the next "successful" (tm) fantasy mmo needs to look, feel, and,play very differently from WoW. This clear disparity from WoW will come not as an individual goal in and of itself, but as a byproduct of creating a game that has pushed the genre to the next level.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure what people are anticipating, but while I don't expect EQ Next levels of cartoon characters, I damn sure wouldn't bank on ultra realism. I'm OK with that, too. Uncanny valley is a real fucker to overcome and a small budget wouldn't help.

The enormous shoulder pad thing is definitely something they need to avoid though.