Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Aradune_sl

shitlord
KS page looks better now, not perfect but way better then last week! If only the pre-alpha screens would look a bit better (nicer assets, there are a shitton of them on the unity asset store).... also, Brad, can you tell us a bit about the style of graphics you are shooting for? I guess realistic looking and not cartoon-style?
More realistic, but we're not going to go nuts like with Vanguard and try to have the latest, greatest DX12+ uber-shaders, lighting, etc. because we want an average game machine to be able to play just fine at launch.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
KS page looks better now, not perfect but way better then last week! If only the pre-alpha screens would look a bit better (nicer assets, there are a shitton of them on the unity asset store).... also, Brad, can you tell us a bit about the style of graphics you are shooting for? I guess realistic looking and not cartoon-style?
btw, thanks for the comment on the KS site getting better -- I agree it's not perfect though, and we remain working on it. I will say a lot of the suggestions here have been super helpful and let directly to a lot of the edits/updates.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
btw, thanks for the comment on the KS site getting better -- I agree it's not perfect though, and we remain working on it. I will say a lot of the suggestions here have been super helpful and let directly to a lot of the edits/updates.
Looks a lot better and the tiers have improved. Though, it doesn't seem like it's possible to select both the testing and $1/yr sub option. Is this intentional?

Zaven_sl

shitlord
Total darkness in dungeons, for sure. Not really a fan of super dark outdoors... people start to hate when it's night and wish it was morning again.
People hated lots of things. People hated to die and lose experience, but it gave you that sense of fear that couldn't be achieved without the penalty. I hope you don't dismiss the idea so fast. I think you should get the players feedback on this. I would bet a fair portion would surprise you and want it dark outdoors. EQ felt so scary at night, it's a feature that i have never seen done in an mmo again. I have had a bunch of friends who played EQ in it's heyday and it's one thing we still talk about - the darkness.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looks a lot better and the tiers have improved. Though, it doesn't seem like it's possible to select both the testing and $1/yr sub option. Is this intentional?
Looks like its $250 for lifetime and $250 for tester and 1st tier with both is the $500 Cohort one

Wizerud_sl

shitlord
Total darkness in dungeons, for sure. Not really a fan of super dark outdoors... people start to hate when it's night and wish it was morning again.
What's wrong with that? It can be a gameplay mechanic. People want it to be brighter? They need to create light (torches, lanterns, whatever)
smile.png
Plus it increases the importance of ultravision-giving items.

Zaven_sl

shitlord
What's wrong with that? It can be a gameplay mechanic. People want it to be brighter? They need to create light (torches, lanterns, whatever)
smile.png
Yes! I just keep picturing walking around with a torch with todays graphics and lighting effects that will look so much better than they did in EQ

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
I kinda like how its done in Cube World, where it does get dark but only super dark in the really wee hours. Course their time passes faster than I'd think you would want in an MMO.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
People hated lots of things. People hated to die and lose experience, but it gave you that sense of fear that couldn't be achieved without the penalty. I hope you don't dismiss the idea so fast. I think you should get the players feedback on this. I would bet a fair portion would surprise you and want it dark outdoors. EQ felt so scary at night, it's a feature that i have never seen done in an mmo again. I have had a bunch of friends who played EQ in it's heyday and it's one thing we still talk about - the darkness.
Will think on it. Maybe it's on a zone-by-zone basis.

btw, Vu just emailed me the zones he did in EQ 1 & 2 so i thought I'd share them:

EQ original: Kerra Isle, Rivervale, Grobb, Kaladim, Unrest and Felwithe
Kunark: Sebilis, Chardok, Charasis( Howling Stones) and City of Mist
Velious: Kael Drakkel and Temple of Veeshan
Luclin: Shar Vahl, Paludal Caverns, and Fungus Grove
Planes of Power: Plane of Knowledge, Plane of Torment and Solusek Ro's Tower

EQ2: Enchanted Lands, Rivervale, Orcishwastes, Lavastorm and Soluseks's Eye
Desert of Flames: Sinking Sands
Echos of Faydwer: Butcherblock mountains, Steamfont Mountains.
Rise of Kunark: Kylong Plains

Zaven_sl

shitlord
Brad - Consider this thought. In EQ so many classes had powerful spells. But what made the spells powerful? The game was difficult. Imagine the same spells in WoW. SoW? ok, so i get around a little faster, no big deal. Teleports? Ok, so i save 2 mins instead of a flightpath. Clarity? I have drinks already. Resurrection? I didn't lose XP, and the graveyard is 30 seconds from where i died...

Everquest was so special because the game put the power in the players hands.

In EQ,Travel is long? Well instead of NPC porters, Wizards and Druids get that power. Dark at night? Enchanters get infravision.

The point to all this is, the more things you can make challenging, or even things that players HATE, gives you an opportunity to give players an ability or spell to counter it. Naturally not every class will have the counter, which makes players rely on each other more. Any time you can give the players that power, you've done a hell of a job in this type of mmo you're going after. Also, you have the opportunity to have effects on your gear, or clickies that were so fun back then. You start of the game trying to save up for a torch, beetle eye, lightstone etc. A few levels later you get one. Once you start grouping you start getting the infravision buff more. Later you do a quest for an infravision clicky.

Please give it some thought
smile.png

Zaven_sl

shitlord
Will think on it. Maybe it's on a zone-by-zone basis.

btw, Vu just emailed me the zones he did in EQ 1 & 2 so i thought I'd share them:

EQ original: Kerra Isle, Rivervale, Grobb, Kaladim, Unrest and Felwithe
Kunark: Sebilis, Chardok, Charasis( Howling Stones) and City of Mist
Velious: Kael Drakkel and Temple of Veeshan
Luclin: Shar Vahl, Paludal Caverns, and Fungus Grove
Planes of Power: Plane of Knowledge, Plane of Torment and Solusek Ro's Tower

EQ2: Enchanted Lands, Rivervale, Orcishwastes, Lavastorm and Soluseks's Eye
Desert of Flames: Sinking Sands
Echos of Faydwer: Butcherblock mountains, Steamfont Mountains.
Rise of Kunark: Kylong Plains
Thanks for being open minded.

Holy smokes, my nipples just got hard! Please high five that man for Sebilis for me. The best dungeon i have ever seen in ANY game. That information needs to be on the KS in some way. Not sure on the legalities, but something to the effect from the dungeon designer that brought you...

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Aradune; have a look at shapeways.com (or similar sites). You can upload a 3D-model, and they will print it, in any number of materials.

Pick a 3D-model from the game, and add tier-rewards:
- tier x: Plastic model of orc
- tier y: Sandstone model of dungeon entrance
- tier z: Brushed metal dragon

Kuldiin_sl

shitlord
Go to the nearest inn and buy some torches then noobs
smile.png

Maybe allow temporary placement of torches in an area? You come across an Orc camp(as an example), you can throw the torch into the middle which lights up the surrounding area good enough to spend some time there clearing it out.

I agree the first zone out of the gate shouldn't be complete darkness, I'm sure pathways and areas of interest to the local population would be lit up to allow visibility, but as you delve deeper into the wilderness (at least in some areas), it would be something to have outdoor complete darkness.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess i could live with true darkness if the nights generally are shorter than the days.... make it like 70/30 day/night cycle...a acceptable compromise for me.