Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Lol.

I edited my original post with this:

I always wanted to get to the point where people can make their own MMOs from stock assets like old school MUDs. There's money in that I'm sure of it. I used to build MUDs back in the day. I even built a dragonlance MMO from scratch, I had done the whole world and plenty of zones. I think I build the Tower of Whatever (big paladin area? I can't remember DL very well) and had some cool scripted encounters. Ooooh memories. I think I was 17.

I would love to get back into it. I love building things. Need more amateur dev tools/network tools for us kids.
Me too. I didn't work on online games, but when I was in college I actually worked part time at a hobby shop, which happened to have a really big nerd community so there were all kinds of table top gamers who hid their hobby from the world by playing in our back room (And the owner raped them on Soda/Chips, heh). Eventually I was making custom rules for about ten different groups. They would say "X part of the game kind of sucks"--and redesigning it was a ton of fun for me. (THACO from 2nd Edition D&D was the first system I re-designed.)

Was probably the most fun I had around gaming, ever. I loved creating rule sets. But then real life started
frown.png
...I always wished though I could have continued with my hobby, I did enjoy it a lot (But the internet also killed a lot of hobby shops). That's why I'm so interested in EQL/N and SOTA, and even the Unity engine. I think, as you said, there is going to be a whole industry around gamemaking, not just game playing. Crowd Sourcing development is the wave of the future, because it's a game in and of itself, people love designing levels and games, the only problem has been the technical hurdles (But look at what it's brought us even with those hurdles, Counter Strike, DOTA ect)--once those technical hurdles get low enough, I think it's going to be ahugemarket. And it's going to reinvent gaming. (Sony is smart to try and get in front of it).

Anyway, though, yeah, I'd love to hobby it up again and see what can be made.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I handled it by never being a cheerleader for something that didn't deserve it. That's how reasonable people act. Optimism is good, but cheerleading is not, especially for something with so little substance.

But yes, Unity does have a fee (and a lot less last I looked). The more important part is no royalties. Can't blame them for that.
That's your opinion.. I think and still feel this game deserves support. Call it what you want. It has and will have my support. Must be nice and safe on the that tight rope.. I get it, you're the cautious guy, trying to save us from ourselves. Save it dude.. you're not exactly enlightening this forum on anything. The bullets on the initial KS were enough for me to get on this project. Dumar has it right, and it's been my thought process all along.. I've said from the beginning it's not just about this game but also the awareness of an old school game. so see his post history if you need more info..

The engine part interested me on a technical level. In regards to if Unity can support an MMO. That was my focus when we discussed it.

Zoeii_sl

shitlord
Many people are suggesting a Kickstarter for the Kickstarter and things like that but really this ship has sailed. Fact is simple as this, this Kickstarter is a lie, it's disingenuous at best and a flat out fraud at worse. The reason it's amateur is because this Kickstarter is not for Pantheon. Period it's not for the fucking game it is akickstater to fund the set up of Visionary Realms, Inc.that is what this should of been listed as. This first round of funding it so Brad can pay himself and hire Sandso_Art_Director_01, and Frippy_His_Drinking_Buddy, and whoever else in his rag tag screw of garage surfers. They will use the money to buy some sweet office furniture and an office so they can pretend to be big boys. This is the underlying problem with all of this shit. The fucking kickstater is a lie, Brad is a lying cunt for not being forward about shit and the shilling Jan 2014 faggots will keep telling us that this game as sweet and we need to throw dollars at it.

I was excited about it idea, I am still excited about the idea, I really would love to see this idea happen, I have posted most in this thread than damn near any thread in the past year or so just because I would love to see this made, almost so badly that I was happy to toss my money in on a lie. Do some research and prove to me I am incorrect, I am begging someone to point out facts where what I said it false.
You're right all of us "Jan 2014 Faggots," should just post in the Hello Kitty forums until we have age to our account and as many posts as you. Your butt must hurt really bad. Just don't pledge if you feel he is a fraud, simple as that. We don't need you to save us.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I want to see the inside of that dungeon, like a walk through. The outside area looks good. The world designer VU has some skills. Also I would definitely not mind them using purchased art assets to make the game faster and cheaper. I mean, isnt that what unity is all about? Also, using other peoples art assets is a good way to distinguish between areas and zones because of the different look of them, right?

You're right all of us "Jan 2014 Faggots," should just post in the Hello Kitty forums until we have age to our account and as many posts as you. Your butt must hurt really bad. Just don't pledge is you feel he is a fraud, simple as that. We don't need you to save us.
Save us? Motherfucker there is a reason brad came here first.... Id put hard cash down most of the backers they got are from this site and are all over 250+ dollar pledges. Get that shit out of here

Merlin_sl

shitlord
If they continue to improve this lousy showing the wife and I will repledge. But I wanna see more actual game content. I want to back a game, not a fucking expensive office and big fat executive chairs and a big desk.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Me too. I didn't work on online games, but when I was in college I actually worked part time at a hobby shop, which happened to have a really big nerd community so there were all kinds of table top gamers who hid their hobby from the world by playing in our back room (And the owner raped them on Soda/Chips, heh). Eventually I was making custom rules for about ten different groups. They would say "X part of the game kind of sucks"--and redesigning it was a ton of fun for me. (THACO from 2nd Edition D&D was the first system I re-designed.)

Was probably the most fun I had around gaming, ever. I loved creating rule sets. But then real life started
frown.png
...I always wished though I could have continued with my hobby, I did enjoy it a lot (But the internet also killed a lot of hobby shops). That's why I'm so interested in EQL/N and SOTA, and even the Unity engine. I think, as you said, there is going to be a whole industry around gamemaking, not just game playing. Crowd Sourcing development is the wave of the future, because it's a game in and of itself, people love designing levels and games, the only problem has been the technical hurdles (But look at what it's brought us, Counter Strike, DOTA ect)--once those technical hurdles get low enough, I think it's going to be a huge market. And it's going to reinvent gaming.

Anyway, though, yeah, I'd love to hobby it up with a bunch of people here and see what we can make.
I'm all about making graphical MUDs. Where the game world is incredibly small (2-4 zones) with only like 10-20 levels using all stock animations and art assets (because who can afford real artists?). I think that as long as the graphics aren't brutal that if you can make a fun game around them, I bet you could get 10-50 people playing your game and pay you 1-5$ a month to do so. Make the game world be able to hold 50-200 people at once and design it around that.

I wish I knew how to do all the technical network stuff. I can teach myself almost anything, and using the Unity Tool is probably fun to learn. The network/hosting part is probably very hard to learn or wing it.

Anyway, I'm willing to dip my toe into the water to even see if it's possible. PM me if you're actually interested in to see if it's something we can do on an uber-amateur level. I want to make a MUD again.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
lol

took 15 minutes to take a shower and there's already 60 new posts in this thread

dunno if i'll bother reading them all, sorry guys

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
In UO, I had a chest full of the heads of the women I murdered in my house. It was a LOT. Have I been able to do that in any subsequent game? No.

You call it crazy. I call it passion! Plus those fish tanks are way small.
I did the same thing bro. the saaame thing.

Lysis

N00b
Got a link to an MMO using it? Any kind of statistics on concurrent players?
I haven't looked into it very deeply. Apparently, it's very flexible. Rust is a mmofps that uses uLink. It currently supports 200+ users on a single server. I believe the plan is for much more. An mmorpg does not need to generate as much traffic as an mmofps - especially for an EQ experience. So at minimum, 200 players per zone with the potential for more in an RPG.