Parent Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have three kids, and in any objective sense, its not worth it. We "love" them, yes, in that we would die for them, and we can't picture life without them. But at the same time, could any joy later in life offset the thousands of hours of care that each one needs? Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars they will cost you, in the end?

Subjectively, I think my life is better and more fulfilling with my kids in it. Objectively, its hard to pinpoint and Tuco asks a valid question.
Thanks for putting that into words. I kept trying to start a post where I've never really felt "100% worth it!" or "love him/her more than anything in the world" and kept getting lost after that. I love my son, but the pragmatic part of me just refuses to associate such a phrase with the whole process.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shaving them was the worst part. He choked on a hair the first time.
rrr_img_87456.jpg

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Is it all worth it in the end? Or would you go back in time and wrap it up if you could?
The end isn't until 18+ looking at them in their first career and trying to find someone to marry. Up until that point there are a lot of fun times and good memories but you probably won't feel that it's "worth it" until that point.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I can't speak to having gone through the whole 18+ years, but to me it's already worth it. Of course it is. Certainly more worth it than all the time and money I've ever spent playing video games.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Video games never came home talking about suicide and cuts on their arm despite an amazing life just because their friends are all emo.

Pizza never told me that they wished my wife and I would divorce because of something stupid like one of their friends told them that's how they get more presents at Christmas.

Kids are rarely "worth it" when you are raising them but if you hopefully get it right by the end you will make an adult that is worth it in every way.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Video games never came home talking about suicide and cuts on their arm despite an amazing life just because their friends are all emo.

Pizza never told me that they wished my wife and I would divorce because of something stupid like one of their friends told them that's how they get more presents at Christmas.

Kids are rarely "worth it" when you are raising them but if you hopefully get it right by the end you will make an adult that is worth it in every way.
a_skeleton_03 come on, we play Multiplayer games over the internet here, I've been told much worse.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
a_skeleton_03 come on, we play Multiplayer games over the internet here, I've been told much worse.
LOL yeah by people who don't matter. Not by someone you have protected, finances, and loved for the past 13 years (I have 13 yo twins). You act like it doesn't hurt and tell them it's not appropriate behavior or the right thing to say and act like it doesn't hurt but it does and makes you wonder why you had kids. I don't think I am in the minority either.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I have three kids, and in any objective sense, its not worth it. We "love" them, yes, in that we would die for them, and we can't picture life without them. But at the same time, could any joy later in life offset the thousands of hours of care that each one needs? Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars they will cost you, in the end?

Subjectively, I think my life is better and more fulfilling with my kids in it. Objectively, its hard to pinpoint and Tuco asks a valid question.
Are you trying to put a dollar value on family? I mean like, do you want to put a pad of paper and objectively look at the cost analysis of happiness? Like each hug your little girl gives you is worth 5$. So if I spend 100k on them in 10 years, did I get 100k worth of hugs?

I have no idea what kind of answer you are "objectively" looking for.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I love being a parent and would never go back and undo it if I could, BUT I would never want to do it again if my wife somehow got pregnant now I'd push her down the stairs.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
LOL yeah by people who don't matter. Not by someone you have protected, finances, and loved for the past 13 years (I have 13 yo twins). You act like it doesn't hurt and tell them it's not appropriate behavior or the right thing to say and act like it doesn't hurt but it does and makes you wonder why you had kids. I don't think I am in the minority either.
Just messing with you man, I'm not starting an argument. My first statement was prefaced with "I don't know shit."

I do think your second christmas presents statement is more funny than upsetting, though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well that's the bad part of it. Video games also never tell you they love you, seek your advice or console you when you're depressed either.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Just messing with you man, I'm not starting an argument. My first statement was prefaced with "I don't know shit."

I do think your second christmas presents statement is more funny than upsetting, though.

lindz

#DDs

Well said.

Some days, like this morning, when my kids have me in tears and I feel like such a failure, I wonder if maybe I was never meant to be a parent.

Regardless though, I love them so damn much that I couldn't imagine my life without them. And when they cuddle up next to me and say 'I love you mommy', it always melts my heart.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Have you tried reading a bible with them, a_skeleton_03? I hear there's these passage about almost sacrificing your children. Quality time right there.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The term imagining a life without kids gets said a lot, but why can't people imagine? My kids are nearly 2 years and 4 months, and I sure as shit can imagine a time without them! Do I love them? Hell yes, and I do not want to get rid of them, but that doesn't mean I can't imagine what it was like without that responsibility.

I find it a weird saying.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I've always wondered if the people saying "kids will change your life so much and it will be really hard but it is all totally worth it" actually believed that or were perpetuating some sort of cruel hazing ritual that only those in the fraternity of parenthood know about. Now that I am a parent I have my answer.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree with this. The 'worth it' part is (hopefully) seeing this once little baby as a full grown adult who you've passed down your own wisdom/knowledge/morals/etc. and becoming something you can be very proud of.