Parent Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Now that you mention that I did have one similar to that. Friend's son was standing on my lap while I was sitting on a couch and all of the sudden he just throws his arms straight up and dives backwards off of me towards the floor. His mom saw it happen and said it looked like I started moving even before he did but I only got partial credit for the save because I shouldn't have been winding him up before bedtime in the first place.
The backward dive/lunge can be scary shit.

A few years ago my kids are 2 & 4, we're at my in laws and I'm holding the 2 year old on my left side, legs around my waist. The 4 year old sees this and wants to held too, so I get up up on my right arm. The older kids has always been big for her age, easily passing for 2 years older, I think she was around 45 lbs at this time. Anyway, I'm walking across the entryway which is some kind of marble and the kids start messing with each other so it's getting tough to hold them. The younger one suddenly lunges backward and starts falling backward off my arm. I do some dad strength ninja shit, swinging myself and my daughters body around as she continues to fall get my left leg under her body and grab her shirt before she splatters her brains across the floor. Also didn't drop the other kid. I set them down and just flop on the ground to let the panic/adrenaline subside.

Of course no one saw it and a couple seconds later asks "hey, what are you doing on the ground?".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Spouse and I couldn't agree on whether to have kids (he wants them; I don't), so we're going to be hosting an exchange student for the upcoming school year as a compromise. First time I've ever done anything like this; really scared.

• 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
First time I've ever done anything like this; really scared.

I bet you say that to all the guys.

-or-

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Decide Fox Tv GIF by Paradise Hotel

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Spouse and I couldn't agree on whether to have kids (he wants them; I don't), so we're going to be hosting an exchange student for the upcoming school year as a compromise. First time I've ever done anything like this; really scared.
Meh that won’t be hard. Foreign exchange student is just like hanging with a teen for a few months. Nothing like parenting really.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

Husband and I don't want kids, either, but if we were better off financially, I wouldn't mind hosting an exchange student again. We hosted a girl from Japan for a year when I was in high school and it was an awesome experience. They'll usually have get togethers and meet-ups with other folks from the exchange program that they go to, but other than that, nothing really too out of the ordinary. My brother currently has a girl from France they're hosting for this school year. It's been cool to see how much her English has improved since the first time I met her. Could be a bit awkward at first if they only have a very basic level of English, but being immersed and getting them exposure will jump start that learning and retaining. Super fun experience, IMO, so I hope you have a blast with it!

• 2Like

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
We hosted a girl from Germany. Now she might as well be a member of the family. We talk to her and her parents regularly and she has not lived here in almost 2 years. We went to Germany for their family reunion and had a blast. Treated her like the rest of our kids, daily chores, homework etc. Down side is they are not allowed to drive, luckily our daughter and her (same age) are became best friends real quick. So they went everywhere together. Her parents were shocked when we took her with us for Spring break to Sedona and the grand canyon.

They are here for school and to experience the US, make sure they get to do as much as possible.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
We hosted a girl from Germany. Now she might as well be a member of the family. We talk to her and her parents regularly and she has not lived here in almost 2 years. We went to Germany for their family reunion and had a blast. Treated her like the rest of our kids, daily chores, homework etc. Down side is they are not allowed to drive, luckily our daughter and her (same age) are became best friends real quick. So they went everywhere together. Her parents were shocked when we took her with us for Spring break to Sedona and the grand canyon.

They are here for school and to experience the US, make sure they get to do as much as possible.
An exGF went to Switzerland but same experience and kept in touch/goes to visit every few years.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
you had yellow fever early, huh
Ha, I think I was 10 or so? I remember her being cute but no confusion about my pants feeling tight. Wasn't really into Asian girls until my wife 🤷‍♂️

Though before we got married she was working at a high school and one of the teachers in her department was this crazy ass middle aged Syrian/Lebanese(?) woman. First thing she ever said to me was, "So, yellow fever huh?".

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Towels - After doing laundry, they overflow the towel closet but when I go to use a towel, we're all out. How tf are they using so many?

Plan development stage

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Towels - After doing laundry, they overflow the towel closet but when I go to use a towel, we're all out. How tf are they using so many?

Plan development stage
On the other hand taking the warm towels, throwing them in the bed, and setting your 2yo kid in the pile is a nice moment.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
so we're going to be hosting an exchange student for the upcoming school year as a compromise. First time I've ever done anything like this; really scared.

That's really cool.

My family did this while I was a kid, we had an extra room and hosted exchange students 3 different times. All of them were from Japan. Culture shock is a thing depending on the place the people are coming from and where you are.

We lived in Cali so all the Japanese students thought it would be the same as japan...they quickly found out about the differences in demographics. One had a panic attack, another was a pretty hot girl that just went home after her time and the last one went full on "AMERICA FUCK YA!" and stayed a full year + summer, found her husband, birthed like 4 kids. "America Fuck ya" girl's dad was super cool, he visited a couple times with his wife casually and then for his daughters wedding. Her dad was funny, 1st time he came he wanted to do ALL of the US tourist traps in a weekend, grand canyon, Vegas, New York, Disneyland and World...ect. We had to explain to him that those places were so far apart it would be like taking a flight from Cali back to japan several times, he didn't believe us so we had to pull out a map and show him, him and his wife were laughing so hard.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That's really cool.

My family did this while I was a kid, we had an extra room and hosted exchange students 3 different times. All of them were from Japan. Culture shock is a thing depending on the place the people are coming from and where you are.

We lived in Cali so all the Japanese students thought it would be the same as japan...they quickly found out about the differences in demographics. One had a panic attack, another was a pretty hot girl that just went home after her time and the last one went full on "AMERICA FUCK YA!" and stayed a full year + summer, found her husband, birthed like 4 kids. "America Fuck ya" girl's dad was super cool, he visited a couple times with his wife casually and then for his daughter’s wedding. Her dad was funny, 1st time he came he wanted to do ALL of the US tourist traps in a weekend, grand canyon, Vegas, New York, Disneyland and World...ect. We had to explain to him that those places were so far apart it would be like taking a flight from Cali back to japan several times, he didn't believe us so we had to pull out a map and show him, him and his wife were laughing so hard.

As a high school graduation present, my grandmother would take you on a trip to any destination in the world you wanted, so for mine I picked going to Japan again and got to stay with our exchange student’s family. We always thought it was so funny just how well she fit into our family dynamic, and it was no wonder. Goddamn, her family was like a copy of ours in how they acted and their sense of humor. Always picking on the dad, check. Fart jokes, check. Taking card games way too seriously, check. The general ribbing and shade we’d constantly throw at another, check.

This was 20 years ago now, but we still keep up with her. Got married and has a family now, though, didn’t get married to the tall, rich and handsome guy she required when she was a teen, lol. I do remember, my parents were big fans of fucking Sean Hannity and we took her to one of his book signings in DC. Politics aside, she got to meet a famous talking head and she told him where she was from and he asked her how was she liking the county, and she responded in the most “fuck yeah” tone, “I LOVE America!”

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
That's really cool.

We lived in Cali so all the Japanese students thought it would be the same as japan...they quickly found out about the differences in demographics. One had a panic attack, another was a pretty hot girl that just went home after her time and the last one went full on "AMERICA FUCK YA!" and stayed a full year + summer, found her husband, birthed like 4 kids. "America Fuck ya" girl's dad was super cool, he visited a couple times with his wife casually and then for his daughters wedding. Her dad was funny, 1st time he came he wanted to do ALL of the US tourist traps in a weekend, grand canyon, Vegas, New York, Disneyland and World...ect. We had to explain to him that those places were so far apart it would be like taking a flight from Cali back to japan several times, he didn't believe us so we had to pull out a map and show him, him and his wife were laughing so hard.

My kid is from Spain; we've done a video call with him and his family. He seems pretty well-rounded and does some sports and some video games. Apparently he's an extrovert; he seemed kind of shy on the call, although I could chalk that up to his dad who was super ridiculously extroverted, to the point where his mom kept elbowing him to get him to stop talking, so that everyone else could have a turn, was kind of funny.

Seems like all the Euro kids really want to learn how to drive, but it's apparently strictly forbidden by the agency and one of the things that can get you instantly booted from the program along with drinking and drugs (they call it the "3 Ds").

We asked him if he had any questions on the call, and he was like "Yes, can I come now?" Was pretty cute. Kind of speaks to the cultural power of the US that people still look up us to like this, and also makes me sad that he probably would have had an even better experience a decade ago, before all this political shit really reached a hard boil.

• 2Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Kids can make it hard to know when to reprimand or high-five them...

Family is at dinner and my 12 year old son cuts a PROFANE fart. The dogs literally had to leave the room. We're sitting there in shock and I ask him, "DUDE! Are you ILL?" and he deadpans, "You know, I'm something of an alchemist myself!"

Between the laughing and the stench I nearly died.

1710805987283.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users