Parent Thread

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
just catching up on the thread i wanted to say that the baby 411 book someone mentioned a few pages back is the scariest and best thing i ever read. especially about the delivery and first few weeks after. i knew every little thing that happened, even if i did also know a billion that didn't. there's a toddler one too which is equally good. other than those i don't think anything prepared me. my daughter is turning 3 next week. it fuckingfliesby man.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
No, some kids will take it cold, but not all. Or I should say they'll won't take it as willingly. Some kids have a difficult transition from boob to bottle and changing the temperature of the product is just one more hurdle in that equation.
Yeah, I had good results with it but every kid is different. I just meant there is no medical/science reason why a baby needs a certain temperature milk. I could have been lucky, or just had greedy fat babies.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
To the new or soon to be new parents don't stress out because strangers will help!

This happened about a week ago, standing in the return line at walmart(weeeeee) I am third or forth in line and in the front is a young lady on her cell 3-4 year old boy close by and a toddler in the cart. Now the carts front is a good 2 feet from her so the back part that is holding her child is what 6-8 feet away? Now we are in line for a good 15 mins and never once did the mom even glance at her toddler or acknowledge her son while not being a brat was trying to get her attention for the last 5 of the 15 we were there. I have nothing better to do so I am just watching her be an extremely shitty parent, 16 mins in at this point(I know because I set a timer when I get into a queue and check it every 30 seconds, I know it is stupid terrible habit) the toddler is clearly trying to get out of the cart. I am amazed she lasted as long as she did but within seconds this kid was going headfirst right into the floor. Now I am 15 or so feet away but a elderly women was in arms length of the toddler, and it is a good thing too because she caught the little one after failing to get the moms attention.

It took the elder women husband physically turning the mom to get her to pay attention, I assume he informed her what happened but it was a very short conversation and I couldn't hear. All the mom did was dig through her purse and produced what I thought was a pacifier, stuck it in the kids mouth, said nothing to the women that saved her kid, pulled the cart slightly closer to the counter and, promptly stopped paying any attention again. So whatever she put in the kids lips was clearly not a pacifier because the entire piece of rubber was in the kids mouth and she was chewing on it like it was gum. Clearly a choking hazard but she was finally done getting her check cashed or whatever and pulled the cart from the front away, it would not surprise me if another stranger had to save her kid from choking to death not 15 mins later.

I had no words, but my point is, you are not that piece of shit parent, you will do fine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hell, I feel guilty when I turn on 30 minutes of Mickey Mouse Club on the TV to distract my kid long enough for me to go shit/do laundry/start cooking dinner/whatever. I feel like a crap parent that I'm setting him in front of a mindless distraction for half an hour. Hopefully that won't be the difference between getting a perfect score on his SATs or dropping out of highschool to be a night manager at McDonalds.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our daughter usually doesn't pay attention when the TV is on unless it's Wheel of Fortune or the weather part of the news.

She recently discovered baby einstein which is both a blessing and a curse... a blessing for reasons joeboo stated, a curse because she brings us the dvd remote and the dvd cases all the fucking time and wants to watch it now.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I used to feel guilty, not anymore. I have shit to do and an hour of tv a day won't hurt them. Cooking is the big thing I just need them to chill while I do it. They draw and pkay plenty, and I've seen the studies, I'm not worried.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Older siblings are great to help pass time - reading to the littles and all that shit. That said, wII is a pretty great thing. It keeps them all busy and active while whatever else needs to happen does.

Really, there is no reason to heat a bottle. Parents do that for themselves, because they make the assumption that warm milk is better for or more easily tolerated by the kid. The kid gives no fucks. I burned the fuck out of myself with a bottle warmer (worst purchase ever) before our pediatrician turned us on to that bit of info.

But he also told us to never microwave it ever because, even if you shake it, there can be pockets of molten hot milk that will melt your baby's insides and cause you literally hours of discomfort as you sit in those awful emergency room chairs. Not worth it.
You have to heat breastmilk that's been in the fridge. It's non homogenized. Otherwise it separates and you wont get all of the fats/good stuff out and into the kid. I had no clue what homogenization was (I mean I did but I hadn't really seen it first hand) until I started pumping and storing breastmilk.

My son currently drinks cold regular milk though so by the time they hit 1 I completely agree. But if your kid is exclusively breastfed/breastmilk only yeah heating is mandatory.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I used to shake it up to re-mix it.

Anyway, I put together that stove set for my Daughter last night. I'm a perfectionist, so I spend more time than average. I was expecting this to be a real quick project, but it ended up taking me 4 1/2 hours. Granted, I was doing other shit while assembling it, but still.
Looks awesome, though.

Anyway, I put together that stove set for my Daughter last night. I'm a perfectionist, so I spend more time than average. I was expecting this to be a real quick project, but it ended up taking me 4 1/2 hours. Granted, I was doing other shit while assembling it, but still.
Looks awesome, though.
Google

iannis

Musty Nester
I might be wrong, but I believe that's pasteurization with the heat. Homogenization is a mechanical process I thought.

I Googled for the hell of it. Turns out homogenization of milk has nothing to do with heat.
No shit. Never said that it did. The point was that non homogenized milk will separate when chilled. Breastmilk, since it's not homogenized, will separate. And the best way to get the solids mixed back in is through gentle steady heating. Otherwise the solids wont come through the nipple and will cling to the sides of the bottles.

rolleyes.png

It's not that I expected folks to know all about breastmilk/pumping/breastfeeding but literally you tried to stretch for the dumbest possible view of something Ididn'tsay.

Don't get all cunty with me, you're the one telling people to Google for the point you forgot to make.
....it was a 'don't shake the breastmilk' answer on google. FFS. You're right. Next time I'll use one syllable words to make sure I don't lose people like you in the conversation. Why the fuck ANYONE would think that 'shaking' or 'heating' milk homogenizes it is like beyond my level of comprehension because I thought we all learned about homogenization in like 6th grade science but evidently not.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
....it was a 'don't shake the breastmilk' answer on google.
Your link takes me to Google. Since this is the Grown Up forum, I'll just say sometimes technology doesn't work right.

FFS. You're right. Next time I'll use one syllable words to make sure I don't lose people like you in the conversation. Why the fuck ANYONE would think that 'shaking' or 'heating' milk homogenizes it is like beyond my level of comprehension because I thought we all learned about homogenization in like 6th grade science but evidently not.
Get over yourself. A few posts up you're saying you didn't even know what homogenization was.

We can have friendly discourse, and in the spirit of that, I get your point about gently heating breast milk. I agree with your point of view about why it is necessary. Have a nice weekend.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I heated up our breast milk AND shook it. Surprised my poor kids survived that torture and lack of nutrients.

I will tell my NNP wife she is a moron when she gets home from overseeing the care of over fifty babies tonight. She should probably turn in her masters degree.

Your link takes me to Google. Since this is the Grown Up forum, I'll just say sometimes technology doesn't work right.

Get over yourself. A few posts up you're saying you didn't even know what homogenization was.

We can have friendly discourse, and in the spirit of that, I get your point about gently heating breast milk. I agree with your point of view about why it is necessary. Have a nice weekend.
If you accessed it from mobile I can see how the confusion happened. It takes me to google when I click the link from my phone (just tried) - clicking from my browser/pc takes me to intended results.

I did also say that I did in fact know what it was, I had just never seen what it meant first hand.

Your tone came across as pretty shitty. Agree that this is for friendly discourse (hence my reaction to the tone) - appreciate (no sarcasm) your last response and apologize for technology fail contributing to confusion.

I heated up our breast milk AND shook it. Surprised my poor kids survived that torture and lack of nutrients.

I will tell my NNP wife she is a moron when she gets home from overseeing the care of over fifty babies tonight. She should probably turn in her masters degree.
Yes. I said she was a moron. You took the words right out of my mouth! Guidance changes. The current guidance is don't shake it. When we were growing up cigarettes didn't cause cancer. Formula was BETTER than breastmilk. Don't see a need to get all butthurt about it jesus.

I swear you all get more defensive than a bunch of soccer moms over this shit. People try to help and put information out there on current guidelines of even non-controversial shit (ie shit that isn't philosophical) and it's like "OH SHIT THIS IS SOMEHOW A PERSONAL INDICTMENT OF MY PARENTING SKILLS I MUST REACT WITH INDIGNATION."

I have no idea where you find the time and energy to let shit like this get your jimmies in a rustle.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Looks awesome, though.
Yeah, I assembled a kitchen playset on Chirstmas eve as well. Goddamned thing took 3 1/2 hours. I'm sure the 6 pack of beer didn't help me win any speed records though.
jCBY5qr.jpg

Now the kids kitchen is nicer than our real kitchen
smile.png