Passengers (2016)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jennifer Lawrence is annoying as shit and pretty much took away any drive I had for seeing this movie.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
this was from a neogaf poster, i don't plan on watching this movie. whole plot

so the big reveal is that the reason they woke up is that chris pratt woke up first by some freak ship malfunction, got lonely and pathetic, shopped around and looked for someone to hang out with for the next 90 years, and then sabotaged jlaw's pod. they get into a fight when jlaw finds out, and they stay on either side of the ship for like half the movie.

another pod opens up and its the captain (lawrence fishbourne). together they find out that the ship has some serious malfunctions (hence robotender freaking out) so they try fix it. the captain dies cause, i don't know, his pod was broken for a while and his vitals are all out of whack. the ship is trying to eject pods into space, they manage to save most of them iirc and they manage to fix the ship for the most part. jlaw forgives chris pratt and they become a couple again.

cut to 90 years later when the ship arrives to wherever it was going and there are lot of people coming out. more pods woke people up in the meantime and chris pratt and jlaw became leaders of the ship. also they died of old age and are revered I guess for saving everyone

That was what was on the page with these exceptions:

The guy who wakes up isn't the captain but another crewman, named Gus; he is dying due to his hibernation pod malfunctioning and allowing his organs to decay. They find the root cause of all the issues (the core/central computer has been hit by a incredibly ill-placed asteroid strike; all of the other processors on the ship are trying to make up for it and burning out ahead of schedule as a result, which woke Pratt up) and fix it, which forces the ship to reboot

This in turn makes the ship think its in port, though and eject all of the pods. All of the pods of the other passengers are ejected, leaving only Chris Pratt and JLaw as the only two survivors of the passengers.

They reconcile because his waking her up effectively saves her life. In the script, when the ship arrives at the planned destination and opens up, all of the people who get off are Pratt and JLaw's descendants; they have lived full lives together on their trip between the stars.

Its a much better script than spronk's synopsis gives it credit for. I might not go see it in the theater but I will watch it, if only to see how the script made it to the screen.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We knew early on that Pratt woke JLaw up, didn't we? Or at least we speculated as much. I'll still see it because $6 movies.

Cybsled

Wait wait wait, about that spoiler summary...

You mention the only people who get off the ship are the descendants of Jlaw and Pratt. Ok so Jlaw and Pratt have some kids. Trip is 90 years. That means there was massive incest going on if you have multiple generations originating from just those 2. It's the fucking Lannisters in Space! I hope to hell there are some pods left over to increase the gene pool lol

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wait wait wait, about that spoiler summary...

You mention the only people who get off the ship are the descendants of Jlaw and Pratt. Ok so Jlaw and Pratt have some kids. Trip is 90 years. That means there was massive incest going on if you have multiple generations originating from just those 2. It's the fucking Lannisters in Space! I hope to hell there are some pods left over to increase the gene pool lol

I've only read the script but...

There's some kind of genetics lab on the ship with either all the passengers DNA or sperm/eggs stored there, I can't remember which. I don't think its every said outright but I assumed all the majority of the descendants were born and bred in the lab.

Oldbased

> Than U
I love me some SciFi, but it has to be action SciFi. This seems like a 1 time on Starz type of movie.
Hell from the way it sounds from spoilers it may be more boring than Prometheus

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Saw it last night, pretty good movie. If you require action don't see it. Part Cast Away, part Gravity, but I found it much more entertaining than Gravity. Story is pretty linear and predictable, and one can shoot holes in some of the SCI fi / plot, but I was entertained. Great visuals, good character chemistry, and an interesting idea overall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
just got back from seeing it with a friend. this is much more of a love story with a sci-fi backdrop, so take that for what it's worth. the two of us are going through some bad breakups (i with my wife, she with her long-term boyfriend) and we were in a mood for sci fi and i love me some chris pratt so we decided on that. we thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite being full of triggers for us.

the script appears to have some minor differences.

chris and jen don't seem to make it through the trip, but there's no kids running around either. it's kind of a cool scene where jen is narrating to the passengers when they wake up when they are supposed to 90 years later. They walk out and see the promenade full of flora. trees, bushes, etc. stating they had to do he best they could with what they had.

i LOVED how as soon as laurence fishburne wakes up and starts exploring the cryobeds, jen is literally right no top of him. "you know. you know right? about what he did to me? you know? well?!" "i'm just trying to stay out of this ma'am." "HE'S A MURDERER!!"

it was great because the woman is immediately going to be the one who starts bringing in 3rd parties to solve their problems.

j00t

I love me some SciFi, but it has to be action SciFi. This seems like a 1 time on Starz type of movie.
Hell from the way it sounds from spoilers it may be more boring than Prometheus
slow doesn't mean boring. Prometheus was boring because we didn't care about the characters. chriss pratt and jen lawrence have great chemistry and do a great job of being charismatic enough to give me a reason to believe in these characteristics.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thought it was decent enough, because of the cast.

Was really tough to get past his decision to wake her, only to have it flipped around somewhat by the end as if to even things up, and then toss in the med bay idea just for fun.

Kinda felt like stockholm syndrome: the movie.

j00t

Thought it was decent enough, because of the cast.

Was really tough to get past his decision to wake her, only to have it flipped around somewhat by the end as if to even things up, and then toss in the med bay idea just for fun.

Kinda felt like stockholm syndrome: the movie.

a year's worth of forced solitude can really screw someone up. Sure he had Arthur to talk to, but I think if they focused on damaged psyche that corrected itself once Jen woke up, it would have gone further to make the relationship mendable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Movie was pretty good, especially want to see this with your girlfriend/wife/its even good for first dates. The chemistry really makes the movie.

The only thing i didnt feel was very believable between the two of them was how much she flipped out and hated him after he told her. Like... they had been in love for a year by then, perfect couple, spend our lives together blah blah. Sure she wouldve felt betrayed for a day or two but i think anyone in that situation would have gotten over it, what are you gonna do, stay mad at that person the rest of your lives and forget about the last year of the best love of tour life? Hell, she should have been thanking him because she was so happy to be with him, she might not have found the love of her life if she woke up with the rest of the crew and been all caught up in the landing....

I just thought it was ridiculous shed stay mad at him for weeks. But then again women are pretty unreasonable creatures, so...

• 1Like

Caliane

Movie was pretty good, especially want to see this with your girlfriend/wife/its even good for first dates. The chemistry really makes the movie.
gf/wife/firstdate/sister/girlyouhaveinyourrapedungeon.