Passengers (2016)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i'd say that's an accurate comment. the sci-fi is really the backdrop for their relationship. which is an odd juxtaposition, honestly. guys want to see this for the sci-fi elements but there aren't many. it's almost like it's the reverse of all the deadpool adds

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Hell, she should have been thanking him because she was so happy to be with him, she might not have found the love of her life if she woke up with the rest of the crew and been all caught up in the landing....

You're putting too much rational thought into that. It was pretty believable. Women are creatures of emotion where as men are logical. That's why it's so fucking easy to sell shit to women. You make them feel good about something, and it's sold. Where as that's just step 1 of the process when dealing with guys.

She learned that her ENTIRE relationship with Pratt was based on a lie. He intentionally woke her up and condemned her to die alone (almost) in space. So even though she fell in love with him out of necessity, she hated that he is the one that caused her ultimate death all alone. He's 100% to blame. That's the reason behind the butthurt, and it makes complete sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
dude, i know we love to polarize men and women here, but if the roles were reversed i'd feel incredibly betrayed that someone was so selfish as to do something like that to me. I'd also feel incredibly conflicted because how on earth did i misjudge someone like that? how did i fall in love with someone who just literally cut my life's purpose from me?

but maybe i'm bitter because i'm going through a divorce.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would kill the bitch for doing that to me then after about 6 months sabotage the pods of every single hot chick.

spronk

FPS noob
i'd be totally fine with it cuz then anal is always on the table

also you could probably game a lot more but fuck multiplayer lag will be insane i bet

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
That's why it's so fucking easy to sell shit to women. You make them feel good about something, and it's sold.
This is a good point, and it explains a lot about whats happened to our country since we started letting women vote.

Szlia

It is a romantic dramedy in space and, for what it is, it's not that far from being great. You need to suspend a little more than disbelief to enjoy this plot though.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It is a romantic dramedy in space and, for what it is, it's not that far from being great. You need to suspend a little more than disbelief to enjoy this plot though.

I'm totally disappointed in you, Szlia. You usually only like quality movies. This movie was one of the worst reviewed movies of the past decade. It's literally the "Gigli" of sci-fi.

Szlia

Gigli of SF would be Prometheus. The guy who wrote Passengers had a hand in that though! Also this movie is not even the worst reviewed movie of the month. That dubious honor would go to Assassin's Creed.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
At the end, I was waiting for the other pods to eject and for a bunch of inbred babies to step off the ship because of what I read in this thread. I guess yall were talking about the book or something and I missed that.

Why the fuck didn't he jam his heat shield into the outer airlock? Other than that, pretty good movie. Pretty sure I would have woken someone up too, but I would have studied every female aboard, not just fixated on the first one I saw. I probably would have looked for someone who might know how to wakeup the crew.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it with the wife, I thought it was good, but she loved it (definitely a chick flick but it had enough sci-fi elements to keep me interested..). There's one thing that kinda bothered me about the ending though.. it's mentionned at least once that the ship has spare parts to build pretty much anything they could use on the colony world Homestead II : houses, hydroponics, etc... Since Chris Pratt is a space mechanic and is shown several times reading manuals and shit to learn how to build or tinker with things he's never seen before, I expected him to convince Jennifer Lawrence to get into the medical pod for hibernation, with teary farewells thinking that's the last time they see each other, then fast forward to 88 years later and she gets awakened by the crew, they ask her about her story and then they find out later that Pratt found all the parts required to build another medical pod in the cargo hold, because they would probably have needed one on the colony... it would make sense. Maybe it would have been too happy, but the movie wasn't too bleak either so heh.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
At the end, I was waiting for the other pods to eject and for a bunch of inbred babies to step off the ship because of what I read in this thread. I guess yall were talking about the book or something and I missed that.

Why the fuck didn't he jam his heat shield into the outer airlock? Other than that, pretty good movie. Pretty sure I would have woken someone up too, but I would have studied every female aboard, not just fixated on the first one I saw. I probably would have looked for someone who might know how to wakeup the crew.
First thing i woulda done would be to smash robo bartender into dust

I woulda woken up a new girl every year.

I would also have conveiniently put a wrench or a hammer near each pod that i woken up, so that when a nosy Morpheus does wake up, i can wrench his ass back to space sleep and blame it on that he went crazy!!!

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
When they were going on and on about how he killed her by waking her up, I was thinking, be careful with that particular argument. Cause if you convince him of it, then he might as well space your ass and wake up another chick.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I think the real lesson of the movie is never tell any woman the truth about anything bad you ever did, cuz they will hold that shit over you forever

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Imagine this movie where the guy is some 5'2" chubby dude. Then the whole movie becomes about how creepy he is and she friend zoned his ass first thing.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Saw it with the wife, I thought it was good, but she loved it (definitely a chick flick but it had enough sci-fi elements to keep me interested..). There's one thing that kinda bothered me about the ending though.. it's mentionned at least once that the ship has spare parts to build pretty much anything they could use on the colony world Homestead II : houses, hydroponics, etc... Since Chris Pratt is a space mechanic and is shown several times reading manuals and shit to learn how to build or tinker with things he's never seen before, I expected him to convince Jennifer Lawrence to get into the medical pod for hibernation, with teary farewells thinking that's the last time they see each other, then fast forward to 88 years later and she gets awakened by the crew, they ask her about her story and then they find out later that Pratt found all the parts required to build another medical pod in the cargo hold, because they would probably have needed one on the colony... it would make sense. Maybe it would have been too happy, but the movie wasn't too bleak either so heh.

Same thoughts here. Girlfriend loved it, build the spare auto doc. This is a really good movie, Jennifer Lawrence's acting especially is very good and sells the plot twist.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I expected him to convince Jennifer Lawrence to get into the medical pod for hibernation, with teary farewells thinking that's the last time they see each other

Regarding the whole Medial Pod thing, they could have EASILY survived long enough by sharing with one another. They have 91 years to get to Earth 2. They could have both made it 45 & 46 years, if they each did 1 year shifts inside of the hibernation medical pod. It would have been a lot harder, mentally, but they would have survived the trip at least. Sure, they would each be in their 70's when they arrive, but at least they would still be alive.

Szlia

If we want to explore plot holes,
the gaping one is that Aurora said she was going back with the ship, meaning the ship must have ways to put people back into hypersleep.

• 1Like