Path of Exile

Caliane

6% is more then you think. (lol drunkfinder/witch)

you deal 20,000 fire damage hit.
Reflect 25% of it.
5000 damage hit.
75% resist. 1250 hit.
81% resist. 950 hit.
you take 24% less damage.

you can evade reflect damage. unless running hits cant be evaded.
But generally yeah. high resists, and enough leech to outpace the reflect damage.
Phys reflect can be a problem, because armor sucks compared to the said 75-86% resist.

They added some anti-reflect nodes. no one is really taking them yet though.

Volatile. range em. knockback. one of the things I loved with frostblades. whats a volatile? knockback and fb, never once would they hit me.

Caliane

nice. decide one more run before bed. +120ES chest drops. craft it to 400es. (up from 200)

My build has been slowing down. decide something needs reworked. Get a knockback gem drop. think, I really want knockback on ball lightning and been trying to figure out how to get it. lets give the gem a shot. drop lit pen for knockback. :) ha. awesome.
ball lightning is one of the weird ones. it shoots a projectile, which every 200ms fires out in an aoe hits. it can't chain, or anything. but, due to the aoe hit. +aoe size allows more hits over its duration. +proj speed lowers dps. slow proj will increase dps. (but kills its play-ability imho. I wont use it.) so, knockback. push em along with the orb. they take more hits.
seems to be working very well. dps feels higher. then even lit pen was.

next, the knockback adds huge defensive gains. So make the other change. WAS running HoI and HoT hoping for freeze. frankly, without my powercharges up, the freeze has not been nearly constant enough. so fuck em. (BL also has huge aoe, no need for HoT pot smashing.). Drop em, and grab Wrath. even level 9 Wrath-20% dps upgrade as well.

huge gains in 30min. ha.
was getting leary on the builds future. Was concerned I needed some magical GG drops to make any progress.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, kinda spitballing here. Essentially trying to mash together two builds.

I've gotten 3 builds into low level maps: flicker strike assassin, ngamahu cyclone slayer, and lightning arrow barrage assassin.

Flicker strike might be salvageable with more gear in the future, but the mechanics of the build were just clunky. Let your frenzies drop off and you spend a precarious few seconds frenzying something and hope you don't get ganked. Going in dry was just too risky with the death penalty. On top of that, the build just wasn't tanky enough to fucking around in melee. A slayer build might work better.

Cyclone slayer is just tanky as fuck. Probably just the slayer itself. Only things that gave me trouble were cold breaches that slowed down my dps and movement, making hard to leach through the damage taken. The build is just really slow. Reduced movement speed cyclone just feels bad. The skill itself needs to be a channel, why the fuck isn't it a channel? So much geometry fucks with cyclone. And lastly, and probably overall, if something interrupts you, holding down the mouse button will not restart casting cyclone afterwards. Really hard to get used to that.

Side tangent: #1 deaths by far is I clicked you, why didn't you cast blink arrow/whirling blades/shield charge/leap slam? For how much "dodge this shit or die" they throw at you, abilities need to be more interruptible at the drop of a hat. Sometimes I can see myself dieing before it happens because I accidentally clicked to spin just a tad too far and locked myself out of doing anything else for an unacceptable amount of time.

Lightning arrow barrage is really fun. More specifically, lightning arrow is fun, barrage I don't really care about. I read up on the titular "king of the forest" build and I don't doubt the guy who made it is really good. I think, however, for AOE damage, poison and lightning arrow is a bit misplaced. For how quickly you clear the screen with lightning arrow, how much damage can the poison be really doing? Also, not in love with the whole frenzy charge and snakebite aspect of this build.

So, that got me thinking is there a way to combine a high movespeed and aoe clear of the lightning arrow but a tanky character for bosses? All I've got is a slayer that uses ngamahu's axe and cyclone for single target, but frost blades for aoe. Admittedly, frost blades isn't as good as lightning arrow, and mixing frost and fire together seems like a bad idea, but I can't come up with anything better.

Seriously, the shortcomings of the combat engine is the #1 thing holding this game back. Someone give me D3's engine with PoE's dev team and content please.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
nice. decide one more run before bed. +120ES chest drops. craft it to 400es. (up from 200)

My build has been slowing down. decide something needs reworked. Get a knockback gem drop. think, I really want knockback on ball lightning and been trying to figure out how to get it. lets give the gem a shot. drop lit pen for knockback. :) ha. awesome.
ball lightning is one of the weird ones. it shoots a projectile, which every 200ms fires out in an aoe hits. it can't chain, or anything. but, due to the aoe hit. +aoe size allows more hits over its duration. +proj speed lowers dps. slow proj will increase dps. (but kills its play-ability imho. I wont use it.) so, knockback. push em along with the orb. they take more hits.
seems to be working very well. dps feels higher. then even lit pen was.

Just wanted to point out that knockback with ball lightning doesnt result in more hits. While the first ball keeps hitting, the ones behind it dont hit at all and the end result is about the same number of strikes just at less damage because of the knockback gem.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Going over the resist cap is pretty huge as far as mitigation goes. That + leeching back lets you deal with it if you are careful. For individual packs you just have to deal with it, maybe that means not killing something, You might also encounter some essence packs that are pretty much unkillable.

However as far as having that affix on a map, just don't run it if you cannot handle it. Reroll the map, bank it for another build, sell it. Part of mapping is knowing what you build is good or bad at and picking your battles. Might seem counter-intuitive coming from D3 but keep in mind that D3 also has stuff like that (fishing rift layouts, fishing pylon placements, dropping every rift with two or more floors, speed run achievements etc).

Last edited:

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So, that got me thinking is there a way to combine a high movespeed and aoe clear of the lightning arrow but a tanky character for bosses? All I've got is a slayer that uses ngamahu's axe and cyclone for single target, but frost blades for aoe. Admittedly, frost blades isn't as good as lightning arrow, and mixing frost and fire together seems like a bad idea, but I can't come up with anything better.

Seriously, the shortcomings of the combat engine is the #1 thing holding this game back. Someone give me D3's engine with PoE's dev team and content please.

My tankiest build so far was a leapquake marauder, worked well enough for mapping but I never went into end-endgame stuff. If you want a ranger-archer, pathfinder is the toughest because of the flask uptime. Permanent defensive flasks make quite a difference.

Caliane

Just wanted to point out that knockback with ball lightning doesnt result in more hits. While the first ball keeps hitting, the ones behind it dont hit at all and the end result is about the same number of strikes just at less damage because of the knockback gem.
yeah, its definitely more of a per cast deal. making raw damage better, faster cast worse. Also, if the target hits a wall, and can't get pushed back further.
i'll try increased area of effect at some point as well. 2.6 of course nerfed +aoe. ball lightning base aoe was increased from 16 to 20. i have no idea where its breakpoints are at the moment.

Another point. Using GMP+coh+ball lightning to apply warlords. if raw damage from gear outpaces trash hp. can use THAT to speed clear maps, and then that would allow the primary dps ball lightning to get slower proj, without be tedious in map clearing.

I pulled elem focus out, because I was trying to freeze. with knockback, I can put elem focus back in as well.
BL+echo+Cdestr+lit pen+elem focus+knockback(slowproj) is the plan.
still working with a 4l here. so we'll see how that plays out later.

Brutus testing.
16% inc aoe in passive tree.
bl-.76s averaging 3 hits.
knockback. .86-.9ms. averaging 4 hits.
inc aoe. .83-.9ms. averaging 4 hits.
inc aoe+knockback. 1-1.9s. 5-9hits
slower proj. 1.4s 7-8 hits
slower proj+kb.. same? 1.4-1.6. odd. (duration I think. ball is dying from duration, so not getting more hits in.)
inc aoe, also same. no noticeable increase. again, I think the projectile is running out of time.

got a 5l staff. total shit. blue even.. but 5l..

edit:
color rerolling for this is real easy. ES chest.. 3 blue1r. 3b1g.
Ive gone back and forth repeatedly. Slower proj really does feel like its giving me less dps in reality. clearspeed and functionality definitely. KB as said, is huge defensive gain. nothing gets near me. and, without slower proj. Ball lightning will offscreen. Slower proj forces you to get into melee range. and the projectile will only go about 3/4 of a screen. full dps, you need to be in melee range.

Last edited:

Caliane

Lightning arrow barrage is really fun. More specifically, lightning arrow is fun, barrage I don't really care about. I read up on the titular "king of the forest" build and I don't doubt the guy who made it is really good. I think, however, for AOE damage, poison and lightning arrow is a bit misplaced. For how quickly you clear the screen with lightning arrow, how much damage can the poison be really doing? Also, not in love with the whole frenzy charge and snakebite aspect of this build.

A quick look at that build. LA seems to be a legacy of 3 patches ago. This build was created back when LA was "broken" with frostwall. You could fire it at a frostwall, and as your arrow would pierce your own Frostwall, it would proc its aoe burst 3-10 times. Dealing extreme aoe damage, annihilating bosses.
Additionally, it probably was built on Voltaxic.
Voltaxic Rift - Official Path of Exile Wiki
Used to be 100% of lit damage is converted to chaos.

This build is now poison barrage. its the core. LA is just your aoe clear. you could do the same with split arrow, or tornado shot. maybe even just barrage.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Barrage with 4-5 jewels was awesome for clearing packs. Bowazon levels of fun just filling the screen with arrows. The jewel was changed with 2.6, I think it has a limit of 3 now. But that may still be sufficient.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was trying think of something that didn't rely on poison damage so I could forgo playing a squishy assassin and snakebite.

I do hope they do something about double dipping in 3.0. It seems to be forcing end game builds down a narrow road. Ok, "forcing" is too heavy. But I think most people here understand that while you can kill Shaper and Uber Atziri with a non-optimal build like Ice Crash for instance, why make yourself play so inefficiently?

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was trying think of something that didn't rely on poison damage so I could forgo playing a squishy assassin and snakebite.

I do hope they do something about double dipping in 3.0. It seems to be forcing end game builds down a narrow road. Ok, "forcing" is too heavy. But I think most people here understand that while you can kill Shaper and Uber Atziri with a non-optimal build like Ice Crash for instance, why make yourself play so inefficiently?
They said with 3.0 double dipping will be fixed enjoy it while you can.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, I'm good with that. A lot of the builds that use double dipping, ignite or poison, are squishy. I'm too lazy(read: bad) to play those builds to my satisfaction.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I hope they understand that when fixing double dipping they are also going to have to fix the entire end game as well. If the only reasonable way to get a char high level and into high tier maps and end game is to use double dipping, what does that mean for all of that content when double dipping is removed? Buff all skills? Nerf mob hp? Do nothing and make end game really slow and tedious? I hope they understand the impact of what they are about to do.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I hope they understand that when fixing double dipping they are also going to have to fix the entire end game as well. If the only reasonable way to get a char high level and into high tier maps and end game is to use double dipping, what does that mean for all of that content when double dipping is removed? Buff all skills? Nerf mob hp? Do nothing and make end game really slow and tedious? I hope they understand the impact of what they are about to do.

While the bold part is probably too big of a statement, I would not mind if the endgame slowed down a bit. Not to crawl, obviously. Just somewhat.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
[deleted]

That's why I fucking hate reddit.

Or are you talking about all the comments?
Well the comments should help, you can guess the content of the original post. Not sure why he deleted it but eh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
[deleted]

That's why I fucking hate reddit.

Or are you talking about all the comments?

Yeah it was mostly the comments on how to play he asked about why he was so slow compared to streamers. People said how steamers min max.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I just started playing this week. I'm lvl 25 on my first playthrough as a Firestorm Witch.

Should I use an item filter from the get go? I'm already at the point of seeing waaaaaayyy too many items on the ground that I don't give a fuck about.