Path of Exile

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I usually buy the supporter packs. The points easily tide me over and allow for some impulse buying, and some of the effects/skins are nice (many are fucking ugly though, those capes...). Atlas of Worlds Minotaur armor for example. I'm not the biggest fan of the skins in the bigger packs, but the $30 (?) Mino pack was a solid purchase. Decent weapon effect too I guess, but some you get for league challenges are very nice as well. The old Awakening weapon effect is still the one I use the most.

Tbh as someone that has not spent any money yet, I would get a $50ish pack and use the points for stash/premium/currency tabs but also buy 1 of those invisible skins and probably the bandana. That lets you get rid of all those terrible helmets. Save the rest of the points for new QoL additions or the buy 1 get 1 free RNG box sales they do every other month.

Caliane

yeah. minotaur was one of the best. I got that. and hydra in fact. never actually use hydra though.

Alot of the skill effects are pretty fun. if you use any particular skill.

ghostflame heralds are very popular. heralds get used with 50% of builds as well.

Caliane

spell totem can not curse on hit. huh. totems, traps, minions.. could have sworn ive had blink/ma doing coh.

anyway, since totem can't coh. Using GMP-ball lit+coh+warlords. With main dps being ball lit-echo-controlled-elem focus.
Blasting through cruel with ease.
MoM+zealots+occultist is killing it. feel super safe.

I have some doubts on slower proj ball lit. yes more dps. but going to be painful to use. Maybe swap it in for bosses and pierce or lmp vs trash. Will probably save it for 6l regardless.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is pretty dope so far.

Found this at level 60 from a prophecy... apparently it's pretty good!

bellyofthebeast.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
It was pretty good before people realized that CI is superior. Still a decent item none the less. You need an invite to the guild mist?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How's this game now compared to how it was at launch?

Is the Harfle guild the right guild

Last edited:

Caliane

belly of the beast is one of my favorite armors. Tied Best in slot for rangers/duelists. with The perfect form, and kaoms for bow builds.
2.6 hyrri's ire is pretty amazing as well. Although no life still. specific builds.

ES is superior people are definitely a bit biased. That statement seems to revolve entirely around Vessal of Vinktar. And to a lesser extent Atziri's promise.

Atziri's does at least function as an interesting design element. almost a KEY to the endgame. it has a specific drop location and a very high drop rate, or 100%?. so, it practically acts as a quest item, to give leech needed for mapping. Vessal is just broken op and trivializes most of the content, removing most of any actual gear, skill or itemization choices.

I transitioned my Occultist witch to CI last night. Its going WAY better then the EK CI pathfinder.
I didn't fully understand exactly how each of the ES mechanics work. Still don't a few.

First, the balance of life leech, vs regen+flasks.
Recovery is built around a hp/sec balance.

Leech is naturally capped at 20% of max health. And then, at a RATE of 2% of max health/sec. So, if you have 5000 life, all sources of leech combined can only heal 1000 hp/s, and will be capped at 100hp/second by default. Compare that to your dps.. 60,000? 200,000?
My frostblades life pathfinder. average hit 31k, 295k dps. 1.6% of AD leeched as life. 496 life per hit. 10 attacks per second. so, that 500hp is capped at 100hp/s, and thus will take 5s to heal. and that rate lands right at 1000hp/s.
no matter how much leech you have, it thus takes 5s to leech from 1hp to full. Now, there are specific passives, etc which will increase those rates. vitality void. +5% of max life per second to maximum life leech rate. 20% increased life leech per second.

This is then intended to be balanced with life regen and flasks.
Life regen is generally pretty low. 1-5% is normal, in a life build. My frostblades life. 3.6% life regen. 180hp/s.
Enduring cry. hugely underrated for its regen. 48-394 hp/s.
Stone golem 33-105 life regen. (rare to use)
Vitality aura. .7-1.65% life/s/ kek. no one uses.

so, end cry is a staple. My life pathfinder is running around with 570 hp/s in regen, naturally.
And then combined with leech for 670-1570hp/s regen.
The next step is then flasks. life recovery from a flask.
Eternal flask. 2080 life over 4s. 520hp/s. unmodified. (flask effect, flask recovery, instant flasks, etc all speed this up, make stronger.)

so then 1190-2090hp/s combined regen from regen/leech/flask. that is how life is balanced with armor/evasion. your max life is balanced with damage reduction/avoidance, and the ability to recover that life back up before taking another fatal blow.

(instant life flask. My life pathfinder cheats a bit. instant life is a prefix, surgeons charge on crit is a prefix. only a pathfinder can refill an instant life flask in combat. my life flask actually heals 1572 instantly, then 917 over 2s. effectively replacing vaal pact, as I will talk about next.)

Vaal pact, and why its loved.
Vaal pact makes life leech instant. and removes life regen. it is the keystone for understanding that balance. it very clearly presents it. you get instant leech, and life regen is removed, so there is no balance of hp/s regen. and there is only live/die.
Because vaal pact is instant it removes the leech cap entirely. instead of my 496 life per hit being leeched over 5s. it would be 496life immediately. And, the 10hits/s would then be 4960 life in one second, not over 5.
Then when taken with ES, the life regen aspect is nearly pointless. ES doesn't usually have life regen in the first place. so there is no penalty at all. Its a win/win. you keep your ES recharge, and get the faster ES leech.

Caliane

part 2.

the Occultist. and ES.

ES builds have a number of keystones which are required.. in the right order. which is not very well explained at all.
Zealots Oath.
Mind over matter.
Eldritch battery.
Ci
Ghost reaver.
Vaal pact.

ES itself. Recharges after 4s of not taking damage.
This 4s delay can be shortened with the rare passive "faster start of ES recharge." Essence surge is about it. And its value is so low, no one gets it. And instead focus on other means of supplementing ES recharge. namely ghost reaver and/or Zealots oath.
ES recharge RATE is the speed at which ES recharges after that 4s delay.

Zealots oath is probably the simplest means of constant ES regen. it converts life regen into ES regen. This regen is not effected by ES recharge rate. so means you will be constantly regening ES. ZO directly converts life regen. meaning 1% of max life regen, is now 1% of max ES regen. And because ES can be stacked higher then LIFE, this does mean 1% ES is more powerful then 1% life. a witch with ZO can generally get around 4% Life regen in tree. and 4% of an 8k ES.= 320es/s. compared to the 180hp/s my life ranger. stone golem and End cry are flat hp/s which are converted to ES regen. As well should have noted consecrated ground, notable from Sulphur flasks.

Consecrated ground is 4% life regen per second. pretty huge if not running vaal pact. both life and ZO.

Mind over matter. a bit confusing how to use properly. when hit, 30% of damage is taken from mana before life. This is for hybrid and low life builds. not pure CI/ES. note, it does not mention ES. Mind over matter ONLY effects your life, not ES pool. it will only kick in, after your ES drops. It does help provide a huge mana pool now for a few passives.. only effects HITS. damage over time ignores mind over matter.

Eldtrich battery. Another confusing one. usually used in conjunction with mind over matter. ES protects mana, and spend ES for skills. Again, you must have a viable life pool for this to work. as you no longer have ES protecting life. Mostly for 100% mana reservation?

CI. immune to chaos. 1 life. and a MORE ES modifier. when leveling in merc difficulty you hit a wall. the -50 chaos resist runs into your 1.5-2k life as a ES character. Either you invested in life passives, which you will refund later. or, tried to eek by without. AND, your gear itself probably is cheap on life. and if not, it too will need to be replaced entirely. This is a big element people gloss over when talking about the superiority of CI. there is a fine line where you need to transition. respecing 10-15 passives, and swapping out all your gear. So, there will be a point you will be getting one shot by chaos damage, if you dont swap over. And then, if you do, you of course need to worry about leech, or regen.

Ghost reaver.
leech is harder to come by for ES. specifically spells. leech on gloves, gear, etc is all attacks. shadow /duelist passives attacks.
spell leech comes from warlords mark. elemental leech on wands. boot enchants "after kill." atziri's promise and vessal of vinktar.

This is where my EK pathfinder is falling apart. Warlords mark is not enough for the physical/chaos/damage over time focus.
conversely my current Occultist has Zealots oath constant regen, wickedward (recharge cant be interrupted.), vile bastion (.5% es regen/s for each enemy killed in the last 4s.) AND she is lightning based with the .2% lit damage leeched as life.
She atm has just a passive 176es/s. which is very early. I expect that value to hit 1000es/s from Zealots oath, and more life regen, ES max, end cry, and consecrated ground. Then vile bastion on kill, and leech. night and day from the Ci pathfinder.

Max leech is converted to 20% of max es. 2%/s.

vaal pact
as noted, vaal pact makes it instant. it breaks ZO. It tends to be the favored. But, I feel this is again, due to vessel. ZO is clearly superior leveling, and for anyone that does NOT have the absurd leech ratio of vessel.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Got a shavs drop this morning first map of the day. 3/5 leagues I've gotten shavs (one of em chanced). Sold it and with all my other sales/drops got myself a screaming deal on a guy that underpriced (for the rolls) legacy soul taker. Spent 12ex and I'm pretty sure I could resell for 15-20.

I've had 2 reliquary keys and 3 ex's drop for me flat out this season. My RNG is finally here. feelsgoodman

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Caliane Caliane thanks for the write-up.

I'm not new to the game but some details are still helpful. It also perfectly points out my situation. I just entered maps with a ES character that cannot go CI (reserving the life for auras) and chaos damage is wrecking my way-too-small life pool despite 75% chaos resist. I already invest in some life nodes but will either have to get more on the tree (got the 14% from scion wheel but have several 5%s still open) or get somewhat decent hp gear just to dump it eventually. My fault for making a build that pretty much requires a shav I guess.

Caliane

yeah. I really recommend the any new player especially. League starter, when planning CI. to go Zealots oath/CI. maybe even full on Occultist. Any guide that glosses over this should be avoided or reworked to include.

Enduring cry and Sulfurflask consecrated ground is very powerful in replacing life flasks for immediate/emergency ES regen with Zealots Oath. Particularly when undergeared.
Bearing in mind, ZO is bad for low life, pre-CI. since it sends regen to ES, when you need to protect that small life pool. same with ghost reaver.

And care should be put into the leveling process, and plan to transition to CI. again, making sure you have life on gear, and life passives up until you swap.

Lowlife builds are super finicky. yeah, they are VERY gear dependent on a select few key uniques. shavs.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At what level should I care about anything I do besides just playing the game? Should I even bother picking up items and selling them? I spend a lot of time just going back and forth to sell loot, especially when I have one of these legacy stones running.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
At what level should I care about anything I do besides just playing the game? Should I even bother picking up items and selling them? I spend a lot of time just going back and forth to sell loot, especially when I have one of these legacy stones running.

Get yourself a good loot filter, I use neversink. Then just level as fast as possible and looking at the guild stash for upgrades as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Forgot our top 100 companies to work for celebration was today lol

14601.pip_st5ttr2gfz.jpg

Last edited:

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
am i playing the game wrong? • r/pathofexile

I think this will help has lots of tips on what to pick up and not. Explained a lot read it while sitting at work today hope it helps:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a way to deal with reflect or volatile mobs? It seems silly to not be able to do a whole type of map mod. And if a rare spawns with that affix, you just can't kill it?

I've seen some people suggest flask for elemental reflects, but how does that help? It only boosts your max resist by 6%.