Path of Exile

Caliane

There really isn't a lot of experienced PoE players here you can tell by the complaints. Its just people who are D3 players thinking this should be like D3.

I would wager 99% of the people complaining about end game here have never done the Shaper / Uber events or even Guardians.
a poor assessment honestly. the gap between t1 mapping and shaper/uber is huge. And not just huge. its boring as shit.
The bosses are nice. but a bit too infrequent in that 80-95 area. Maps turn into this speed run, line or box clear gameplay. progression grinds to a halt.
Theres a gap in goals.

I had high hopes for labyrinth, but that failed imho. I want more roguelike back in the game. early leveling does it well. Descent is a roguelike. I love it. mapping however is the antithesis of that though.
I would like to see maps, that act more like regular zones, or something. I've wondered if maps should be actually 2-3 areas linked together. Almost like an atziri. Progressing through a map is more important then full clears.
More mini bosses in mapping. Uber lab and atziri are the minibosses atm. and arguably other unique map bosses. all are very rng tied though. I have 3 midnight this league, and never unlocked uber lab. shit is fucking annoying. (ssf) Soft caps are great, but some of this stuff is annoyingly random.
every 5 tiers should have some boss bosses, akin to guardians, that you need to kill, to move on to the next tier.

Imagine labyrinth was not your character. But instead always a fresh level 1.(or maybe level 30 preset archetypes) like descent. and then, at the end, you got your enchant as a currency item. which could be then traded to your main char. I feel like that would be more fun. Play as an alt, progress your main character.

Bonuses for playing different maps? the 2-3 area idea. imagine you could put 1-4 maps into the map device, and that chained them together. +1 level to the maps as you go and +quantity if they are not duplicates.

I want more alt encouragement. especially in regards to league challenges. end game grinds, level 20 skill gem, level 90 char, uber lab etc. all greatly penalize playing alts. even masters. That is stupid and directly contrary to the games core design.
I don't think I would burn out nearly as much, if I didnt feel like playing alts, was a mistake, and waste of time, needed to reach challenges.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There really isn't a lot of experienced PoE players here you can tell by the complaints. Its just people who are D3 players thinking this should be like D3.

I would wager 99% of the people complaining about end game here have never done the Shaper / Uber events or even Guardians.
Don't try to write off valid criticism like that. Repetition for repetition's sake is bad gameplay and D3(or any other game for that matter) doesn't need to exist to show that. And saying that's how it has always been, even if true, is a poor excuse.

No one plays this game JUST to farm. They find an interesting build, try it out, see what they can do with it. When the upgrades and improvements slow to days or weeks and the game even punishes you for just playing(death penalty or wasted currency), that's when it becomes boring. This is an old problem that MMOs have been struggling with forever. People bemoan their guildmates not signing in to raid, but it's understandable.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not trying to write off criticism, all opinions are valid from all aspects. I'm simply making an observation that people here complaining about repetition haven't done the majority of what the game offers. If you choose to only do white maps 4 hours a night, 3 hours of which your looking at your stash and vendoring and then say "GG this game is boring and repetitive" but its the games fault? not the player right. There was so much to do this league - shaper, guardians, uber atziri, the pale council, 5x breachlords, or rigwald raid events this league? That's 13 different raid type of events available that 98% of you didn't do.

I can understand Caliane wanting this to be a game of alts but that's not their design. The level cap is 100 and its hard AND expensive to respect for a reason and it always will be.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm not trying to write off criticism, all opinions are valid from all aspects. I'm simply making an observation that people here complaining about repetition haven't done the majority of what the game offers. If you choose to only do white maps 4 hours a night, 3 hours of which your looking at your stash and vendoring and then say "GG this game is boring and repetitive" but its the games fault? not the player right. There was so much to do this league - shaper, guardians, uber atziri, the pale council, 5x breachlords, or rigwald raid events this league? That's 13 different raid type of events available that 98% of you didn't do.

I can understand Caliane wanting this to be a game of alts but that's not their design. The level cap is 100 and its hard AND expensive to respect for a reason and it always will be.
How many hours do you have to spend to even afford an attempt ? Much less SSF. Now there's a decent chance that you will brick a set or two for the harder ones and it's easy to understand why some people would rather invest in gear than unique raid encounters.

I find the scenarios that pop up while mapping with masters/prophecies/leaguestones/trials much more meaningful for casual players which is why I think breaches were the best thing since sliced bread.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Breach was amazing for sure, probably one of my favorite leagues. For sure some of the keys are semi tough and take hours of grinding for an attempt. There's no shame in bricking sets to learn either. I think I bricked 2 shaper sets learning him and at least 1 on Uber Atziri.

Things like Uber lab though are 3-6m or lets say 10 minutes to a normal player. Doing just 3 easy keys in those 10 minutes is going to net you your currency back 90% of the time at least with more than likely you making money from the boxes. Its easy to do, accessible, profitable, and once you get enough currency in a handful of runs you can farm something else.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Even streamers who play the game for 12 hours a day are mostly just chain running maps. Doing events like uber, rigwald, breachlords, shaper can happen but the majority of the time you're spamming maps.

-edit-

I made a mistake and said maps implying serious farmers run a variety of maps. I meant shaped strand.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I took day off yesterday, literally played entire day save a few breaks. Got my dude into like t7-8 from lv 75. Then hit lv 80 almost made 81, I was at like 82%, then deaths, being tired and all that shit, made me lose almost entire level, FUCK!. I need to stop going back and trying to kill something that killed me 2-3 times on a badly rolled map, lol.

Anyways this game is fucking insane on the difficulty curve and just the sheer scope of learning everything. For instance I had to watch some youtube to learn about maps and atlas. The game tells you shit all about any of that. Finally leaning about the gears and whats more valuable etc. I found a few pieces of like 3-4c type shit among the sea of tens of thousands of shit that drops.

Not to mention the builds themselves, im like a month in and only scratching the surface of this shit.

But I think im done mapping for now. I get it now and what it entails. I will be trying out some new builds and more characters to find something for the new league. I need something thats self funded and can pound away at shit until I gather up some bank. Besides I think they mentioned that end game is changing for 3.0 so this hsit might all be changing from what it is now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I don't think the endgame will change much beyond adding a few maps and possibly how shaping works, however the demigod system might alter what you run and kill.

The game is mostly piss easy with occasional spikes that will murder you with glee in a single second, but not even D2 was much different once you knew it inside out. It was mostly dying to fire enchanted mobs with melee chars ...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't think the endgame will change much beyond adding a few maps and possibly how shaping works, however the demigod system might alter what you run and kill.

The game is mostly piss easy with occasional spikes that will murder you with glee in a single second, but not even D2 was much different once you knew it inside out. It was mostly dying to fire enchanted mobs with melee chars ...

I must be old and stupid then because this game has a huge learning curve for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It has a huge informational absorption curve. I don't think it has a huge learning curve in the sense that A B C happens, so you do X Y Z. In fact, the game is quite lacking that department. Flask up and kill. Don't you dare try to dodge stuff because then your leech = 0 and the game's movement abilities are kinda janky.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
It has a huge informational absorption curve. I don't think it has a huge learning curve in the sense that A B C happens, so you do X Y Z. In fact, the game is quite lacking that department. Flask up and kill. Don't you dare try to dodge stuff because then your leech = 0 and the game's movement abilities are kinda janky.
Whirling Blades is fine, you just need like +400% attack speed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even streamers who play the game for 12 hours a day are mostly just chain running maps. Doing events like uber, rigwald, breachlords, shaper can happen but the majority of the time you're spamming maps.

-edit-

I made a mistake and said maps implying serious farmers run a variety of maps. I meant shaped strand.

I would maybe watch Mathil who is one of the top numbers wise and streams everyday does Shaper, Guardians, and Uber Atziri on every single build he plays and he swaps builds every 3 days. He does build guides as well and does no shaped strands on purpose. Zizarian just farmed 5 mirrors on LHC doing Uber / Shaper and hes pretty good about making guides or explaining what he does.

Shaped Strands aren't even that good compared to Shaped Shores which aren't even good compared to Poorjoy's. It's really confusing people want to spend so much time leveling to 100 in Strands when Poorjoy's exists. You ALWAYS make your money back on Poorjoy's from the chaotic dispos as well which makes them free.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Whirling Blades is fine, you just need like +400% attack speed.

The game as a whole gets much better with tons of attack speed. But there's still a problem of how soon they allow movement skills to interrupt animations. Currently it's not nearly soon enough and attack speed stacking doesn't help much.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
If anything, I'd say a bigger problem is how much latency affects movement.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I honestly don't know how anything will ever kill Shaper with double dipping removed and they've already said they're not nerfing the HP of Shaper/Guardians. We'll be going from builds that do 10 million DPS to builds that do 250k DPS.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The game tells you shit all about any of that.

The game definitely has a learning curve when it comes to knowledge about the game mechanics and your options and choices. It's actually one of the things I like about it. Not to wake that old ghost but it's more like classic EQ in that regard, while D3 is like SWTOR, entirely on rails. I assume most players coming from other games just don't expect having to figure shit out, they expect being told what to do by the game.

And I'm by no means a regular PoE player, and like someone said earlier, I haven't done shit for actual endgame. Mostly because the league length doesn't cater to my play time. I'm currently lvl89, doing some t9-t11 maps on the odd day and wrapping up some achievements for the 24 I'll end up with. That's a point most serious players reach within days. Maybe one day I'll actually play one of those characters in standard for a bit to do endgame stuff, but the leagues usually end before I'd have the resources to seriously approach any of the endgame activities.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I honestly don't know how anything will ever kill Shaper with double dipping removed and they've already said they're not nerfing the HP of Shaper/Guardians. We'll be going from builds that do 10 million DPS to builds that do 250k DPS.

HOWA / BLS don't need any double dipping shennanigans to kill shaper in seconds and anyway, I'm pretty sure GGG never intended these fights to be over in under 10-20 seconds.