Path of Exile

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Oh god, I just hit lvl 68 and am running through merciless; all this map talk is making me hyperventilate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you plan on running a bunch of Shaped Strands and don't want to pay 3C each for bunch of them, then be careful on running T12 maps. I had to spend around 100C to unfuck my Atlas so I can run infinite Shaped Strand.

Beautiful PoE endgame content!

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
If you plan on running a bunch of Shaped Strands and don't want to pay 3C each for bunch of them, then be careful on running T12 maps. I had to spend around 100C to unfuck my Atlas so I can run infinite Shaped Strand.
This is the first time I've played this so not entirely sure I understand. Do I not want to complete the bonus on shaped strand or not do the map at all until I have shitloads of them?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This is the first time I've played this so not entirely sure I understand. Do I not want to complete the bonus on shaped strand or not do the map at all until I have shitloads of them?
Basically if shaped strand is the only unlocked t11/12 map in your atlas, nothing else can drop besides the maps connected to it. t12 gets downgraded to t11 and you can sustain it forever for optimal item/xp farm since the map is piss easy to faceroll through. However if this is your first time playing, just do whatever you want. You can erase your atlas unlocks later, but it's not all that cheap, still it's sort of a first world problem. Like if you play 6h+/day you will probably notice the difference, but there's a lot more content for you to enjoy and all the various bosses are quite interesting for the first time. Not to mention that most people doing this have a specialized character with vaal fireball/spark that wipes the whole screen, but sucks a dick vs bosses and has problems doing uber lab.

Personally I think it's terribly boring way to play, since I fall asleep after 3 dried lake runs and GGG should nerf it or reward running a wide variety of maps more, since there's no fucking way anyone runs Torture Chamber/Dungeon/Cells more than once.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Some of the boss fights are a pain too. Fuck you sulphur wastes.

Tried to get to the second cosmetic reward(legacy weapon) but just couldn't manage it. The game was starting to feel like D3 before seasons. Just long stretches of repetitive game play with very little to show for your time. And I was barely cracking into T13 at the time I got bored.

Can someone please find a way to fuse D3 and PoE?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Some of the boss fights are a pain too. Fuck you sulphur wastes.

Tried to get to the second cosmetic reward(legacy weapon) but just couldn't manage it. The game was starting to feel like D3 before seasons. Just long stretches of repetitive game play with very little to show for your time. And I was barely cracking into T13 at the time I got bored.

Can someone please find a way to fuse D3 and PoE?
I generally need to reroll once to get 24 and then get bored pushing 36. This time I'm trying to push 24 with a single character and it's taking a while, I should just break open my stash of currency and buy some better gear, but I'm too lazy. Not to mention the whole legacy mechanic is pretty clunky, trying to manage your leaguestones is a pain and I won't even talk about how that shit clutters up your inventory. Breaches were much more elegant.

Behemoth

Trakanon Raider
Basically if shaped strand is the only unlocked t11/12 map in your atlas, nothing else can drop besides the maps connected to it. t12 gets downgraded to t11 and you can sustain it forever for optimal item/xp farm since the map is piss easy to faceroll through. However if this is your first time playing, just do whatever you want. You can erase your atlas unlocks later, but it's not all that cheap, still it's sort of a first world problem. Like if you play 6h+/day you will probably notice the difference, but there's a lot more content for you to enjoy and all the various bosses are quite interesting for the first time. Not to mention that most people doing this have a specialized character with vaal fireball/spark that wipes the whole screen, but sucks a dick vs bosses and has problems doing uber lab.

Personally I think it's terribly boring way to play, since I fall asleep after 3 dried lake runs and GGG should nerf it or reward running a wide variety of maps more, since there's no fucking way anyone runs Torture Chamber/Dungeon/Cells more than once.

I won't worry about this then since I play like 6 hrs a week. Already jumped ahead and did I think a 13. I destroyed the map then some wolf head ghost dog boss killed me and left me wondering what just happened. Turns out invincible mode doesn't let your Vaal pact berserker do anything.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I generally need to reroll once to get 24 and then get bored pushing 36. This time I'm trying to push 24 with a single character and it's taking a while, I should just break open my stash of currency and buy some better gear, but I'm too lazy. Not to mention the whole legacy mechanic is pretty clunky, trying to manage your leaguestones is a pain and I won't even talk about how that shit clutters up your inventory. Breaches were much more elegant.
I spent a bunch of rerolls just getting to used to PoE's endgame, so I burnt out much sooner.

Having to trade to upgrade gear(fuck you, you aren't finding upgrades) is just a huge motivation killer. When the game slows down and basically devolves into running red maps, it's like, meh, I'll just logoff than deal with finding some fuckwit on poe.trade that actually responds to your tells. All that so I can just go back to running red maps again!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Which ones are giving you guys a hard time from the 24 list? Most of those are by design pretty easy to get and we could knock it out quick.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
None, really, I just have level 90 and max level hideout left. Just got tired of running sulphur waste maps and the boss pushing my shit in, wasting my last hour of experience gain.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I spent a bunch of rerolls just getting to used to PoE's endgame, so I burnt out much sooner.

Having to trade to upgrade gear(fuck you, you aren't finding upgrades) is just a huge motivation killer. When the game slows down and basically devolves into running red maps, it's like, meh, I'll just logoff than deal with finding some fuckwit on poe.trade that actually responds to your tells. All that so I can just go back to running red maps again!

Hasn't every ARPG been basically "Do this repetitive thing over and over again?" at the endgame though? Not sure what else you were expecting. Can try making a Guardian/Shaper killer build if you haven't done that yet.

As far as trading it's going to be hard at this point, most people are done with the league after like 4-6 weeks. I like the game but even I can't stand it for that long heh, just waiting for the 3.0 stuff now.

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Whether or not I can fault it for that...yes and no. Repetitive farming does seem to be something inherent to the genre, so it has some leniency in that regard. But after getting over my personal problem of "I have to farm this shit again?!?", seasons in D3 become quite enjoyable. Item pursuit is no longer THE reason to play the game. Item pursuit is still there, but it is a mechanism unto something else.

Now, of course, this "something else" are just arbitrary goals set by Blizzard. But I think they did a very good job of pacing them so that completion of the season goals comes at just the right time(for me at least) before repetition of grifting sets in. You pass GR65, get used to the somewhat different gameplay your build might require to punch past GR70, finish up your conquests, and then you're done. No more grinding for grinding's sake.

PoE has leagues, but I don't think they did nearly as good a job at pacing it before the endgame's repetition shows itself. That could be my fault, this is my first serious PoE league and I spent a lot of time adjusting and rerolling, so maybe I burned a lot of that clock.

PoE trading makes me want the D3 AH back, that's how bad it is.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider

That's probably my biggest complaint about PoE. They do it half-assed. Either disable trading entirely and let loot actually drop for non-botters, or make trading less irritating than pulling teeth and keep your stingiest droprates of the arpg market.

Instead we get shit droprates AND stone age trading systems.

Haven't been following 3.0, but maybe a fix is incoming, who knows.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Chris keeps mentioning doing something about trading but all we've really gotten since release was the premium tab thing. I don't think he knows how to approach it without taking out the player interaction which he does not want to give up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Derkon Derkon Hi, I would like to buy your Blessing of Chayula listed for 213 chaos in Legacy (stash tab "shop"; position: left 5, top 10)
ty
ty

Such interaction. Not poking fun at you specifically.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
All that so I can just go back to running red maps again!

That's literally the gameplay in every single ARPG ever... level up and kill shit repeatedly...

For everyone saying "you have to trade to get any gear because upgrades don't drop" i've played plenty of characters who found or crafted more than half the gear they were wearing and there are plenty of people who do the solo self found and have success. For some reason tons of people seem to have a crippling fear of actually using their currency to improve their character because they might "waste" an exalt or some chaos if they use it on something instead of trading.

Will you be decked out in full mirror gear? Nope, but guess what, 99.9% of the people who trade aren't either. Will you have to come up with your own successful build instead of copy-pasting whatever the popular meta is at the time? Probably but that doesn't mean you have to trade to clear t7 maps...

I mean, I don't know what to say if people are expecting to play for 16 hours and have 80 exalts worth of gear on their character power-farming 8mod guardian maps and doing 6 minute deathless shaper runs cause that's never been the style of PoE and after this many years of the game being around, you're probably expecting the wrong things from it.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I kind of agree with wizardhawk, I think another problem with the game is a lot of people don't know how to craft their own shit.

If they reworked their crafting system that could take a lot of trading out of the game honestly.

• 1Solidarity

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I kind of agree with wizardhawk, I think another problem with the game is a lot of people don't know how to craft their own shit.

If they reworked their crafting system that could take a lot of trading out of the game honestly.
Until you need gear that can only be crafted, trading is always the cheaper and more secure option. If you don't play enough to farm up thousands of fuses, 6linking is a gamble where you can blow all your currency with no result, same for everything else except for masters. And then you run into the problem that you want to craft ilvl84.

Personally I find crafting terribly boring, I play these games to kill shit, pouring over poe affix to figure out what and how to craft is not it. I don't consider that a detriment to my enjoyment of the game, but there's a reason why newbie advice is "never craft outside mastercrafting". The amount of stuff that happens during my session is already quite varied, trials/unique maps/prophecies/crazy drops/atziri/lab/achievements

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Whether or not I can fault it for that...yes and no. Repetitive farming does seem to be something inherent to the genre, so it has some leniency in that regard. But after getting over my personal problem of "I have to farm this shit again?!?", seasons in D3 become quite enjoyable. Item pursuit is no longer THE reason to play the game. Item pursuit is still there, but it is a mechanism unto something else.

Now, of course, this "something else" are just arbitrary goals set by Blizzard. But I think they did a very good job of pacing them so that completion of the season goals comes at just the right time(for me at least) before repetition of grifting sets in. You pass GR65, get used to the somewhat different gameplay your build might require to punch past GR70, finish up your conquests, and then you're done. No more grinding for grinding's sake.

PoE has leagues, but I don't think they did nearly as good a job at pacing it before the endgame's repetition shows itself. That could be my fault, this is my first serious PoE league and I spent a lot of time adjusting and rerolling, so maybe I burned a lot of that clock.

I prefer PoE leagues to D3 seasons. I do play both, but PoE holds my attention for a good month+ each league while D3 is lucky to manage a week. It doesn't help that they force those awful set dungeons on you halfway through the journey, I usually just call it a season at that step instead checking which class/set has the easiest time. In PoE I can at least leave out the lame challenges and still progress towards the 24/36 rewards.

I do agree with your wish for a merging of the good parts of both games. I don't think either company can accomplish that though.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's literally the gameplay in every single ARPG ever... level up and kill shit repeatedly...

For everyone saying "you have to trade to get any gear because upgrades don't drop" i've played plenty of characters who found or crafted more than half the gear they were wearing and there are plenty of people who do the solo self found and have success. For some reason tons of people seem to have a crippling fear of actually using their currency to improve their character because they might "waste" an exalt or some chaos if they use it on something instead of trading.

Will you be decked out in full mirror gear? Nope, but guess what, 99.9% of the people who trade aren't either. Will you have to come up with your own successful build instead of copy-pasting whatever the popular meta is at the time? Probably but that doesn't mean you have to trade to clear t7 maps...

I mean, I don't know what to say if people are expecting to play for 16 hours and have 80 exalts worth of gear on their character power-farming 8mod guardian maps and doing 6 minute deathless shaper runs cause that's never been the style of PoE and after this many years of the game being around, you're probably expecting the wrong things from it.

There really isn't a lot of experienced PoE players here you can tell by the complaints. Its just people who are D3 players thinking this should be like D3.

I would wager 99% of the people complaining about end game here have never done the Shaper / Uber events or even Guardians.

• 1Solidarity