Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Did they though? In my anecdotal interactions with other players, I'm not really able to establish a pattern as to who loved Heist. Even people here, who are generally some degree of spergy, there was a mix of people that hated it and some that liked it.

The only pattern I can establish is that people can't stomach yet another deep system added to the game. And there also seems to be an undercurrent of idiots who think that they enjoyed Heist is a counterpoint to the former but are too chickenshit to actually discuss it openly. And GGG seems to be at least listening to these idiots.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
My problem with heist is that waiting for doors/chests is less fun than being stunlocked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Same here, 10 second door opening? Get fucked, I can mother fucking teleport in a stream of lightning.

I disliked that the chests locked after triggering it. I would've much preferred that mobs get exponentially harder the longer you stay in the heist but you could still collect whatever chests you wanted as it'd be pure risk vs reward.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The games bloated enough that I’ve started looking into 8 year old mmos to avoid bloat.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
The games bloated enough that I’ve started looking into 8 year old mmos to avoid bloat.
It's a little older but I just finished SW:TOR. I gave up on the game during the beta. It's not a bad single-player Star Wars experience. IMO, it's better than Fallen Order. None of the group content/farming interested me though.

Caeden

It's a little older but I just finished SW:TOR. I gave up on the game during the beta. It's not a bad single-player Star Wars experience. IMO, it's better than Fallen Order. None of the group content/farming interested me though.
I have a few class stories I could do there too. We (my guild and I) burned that game up at launch for a year. Maybe more.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked heist as a concept a lot. Have your loot first, then survive. If you die, you lose everything. Pretty happy with the replica uniques/alt quality gem stuff. EXP is pretty insane for solo play too. So I'd be happy if it stuck around.

Things that sucked to me:
- Levelling the heist NPCs
- Heist NPC bonus combined with drop specific loot tables(only Gianna gives 40% blueprint reduction and gives trash rewards)
- The fact that there's 9 NPC's, and they all essentially open doors and unlock chests
- Doors taking so damn long to open
- Contracts being fracturable
- Tedium of grinding shit normal heists in order to do blue prints(if you're not buying coins that is)
- Unique contract bosses are not very mechanically fun/exciting/cool/memorable? (Liked them flavour wise, though)

Hopefully when it goes core, its pretty much just blueprint focused and we don't have to do that many normal heists.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So glad 3.13 was delayed a month for a game that's currently sitting at 31.7k viewership on Twitch.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That change is good though, it means they'll actually be at work and able to address problems right at launch, instead of everyone but a skeleton crew being on holiday break for two weeks. I hope it sticks for the future.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the delay itself. If the launch is crisp and relatively bug free, it will have been worthwhile. It just sucks the reason given for the delay was for a game that seems to have not lived up to its hype.

(Yes, I realize this is in retrospect)

Caeden

Frankly, that was probably an excuse they thought everyone would swallow. I’m glad it’s delayed too for family and to get my weeb on.

though FF14’s obsession with fetch bullshit is wearing on me.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
To be clear, I'm not bemoaning the delay itself. If the launch is crisp and relatively bug free, it will have been worthwhile. It just sucks the reason given for the delay was for a game that seems to have not lived up to its hype.

(Yes, I realize this is in retrospect)

Most people aren't going to keep playing a story based game once they beat the story (and I imagine most "pro" streamers probably finished it within a few days).

• 1Salty

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Heist was a mess for much longer than usual, so the Dec league would get less time. On top of that that they also have the already-announced Harvest rework on their plate. Cyberpunk or not, they needed that month. It probably weighed heavily into the decision, even if they decided to not include it in their delay statement.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I bet some people here will get a kick out of this.

And by that, I mean recoil in horror. To be completely honest, I'm one of those people that writes lazy commit messages. I strongly prefer to rely on docstrings and code comments. Also, none of the code I write(QA) is customer facing. But if I knew my commit messages were being used this way, I'd write much better ones.

I kinda empathize for the poor schlub that has to do this each release. This is a classic plug the holes instead of fixing the process. Which is also symbolized by their usage of SVN. When I first started at my current employer, QA staff were writing manual test checklists for features written by devs. If you want a blackbox test, sure. You want a test that will exercise a large majority of your code paths? The developer should write it or you pay the extra time for the not developer to familiarize themselves with the applicable code.

The latter is pretty much what GGG is doing here. It's painfully obvious to the person being misused but I've found everyone else involved is usually just oblivious until you spit in their faces. A few are sometimes aware and would rather pay a human to do an inefficient job than fix the process.

QA doesn't write test checklists anymore at my current employer. It's one of the things I pride myself of changing since my boss retired and I took over the position.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Anyone here on PS4?

I just hit 80, started mapping relatively recently. Have okay gear, but it gets insanely expensive (Ice Shot Deadeye) the farther you go along. My DPS is pretty awesome for what I’m doing, and I progressed from T1 to T5-6 maps in two sessions that was mostly just a learning process, but starting to struggle with building survivability. I can’t find rares with good life and resists like I need on the trade market that someone will sell me for a normal ass price, but I’ve had luck on a couple solid uniques advertised in chat.

It’s crazy to me how people have 5-6k life pools just above or at my level? I know for sure I need a TON more from my gear, and I’m trying, but I’m only at around 2700 and honest to god like 1/2 to 1/3 of my entire passive tree is life related shit. I bought a shitload of orbs of regret when I started playing this character again because I knew I fucked it all up, researched online, and fixed it. I was only 50 something at the time with like 20 unused refund points, so it wasn’t too bad. But now I’m 80 and still struggling and there’s only one or two small spots I can see I could get more life on the tree reasonably, and it’s small amounts. My resists are okay, just need more fire on a piece and finish capping out lightning that I’m like %8-9 short on I think.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone here on PS4?

I just hit 80, started mapping relatively recently. Have okay gear, but it gets insanely expensive (Ice Shot Deadeye) the farther you go along. My DPS is pretty awesome for what I’m doing, and I progressed from T1 to T5-6 maps in two sessions that was mostly just a learning process, but starting to struggle with building survivability. I can’t find rares with good life and resists like I need on the trade market that someone will sell me for a normal ass price, but I’ve had luck on a couple solid uniques advertised in chat.

It’s crazy to me how people have 5-6k life pools just above or at my level? I know for sure I need a TON more from my gear, and I’m trying, but I’m only at around 2700 and honest to god like 1/2 to 1/3 of my entire passive tree is life related shit. I bought a shitload of orbs of regret when I started playing this character again because I knew I fucked it all up, researched online, and fixed it. I was only 50 something at the time with like 20 unused refund points, so it wasn’t too bad. But now I’m 80 and still struggling and there’s only one or two small spots I can see I could get more life on the tree reasonably, and it’s small amounts. My resists are okay, just need more fire on a piece and finish capping out lightning that I’m like %8-9 short on I think.
That's Path of Exile builds for the most part, a very large part of your build is dedicated to survivability(which generally means life), and that's why making builds once you get the overall concept isn't really that complicated, you just get the keystones that are important for your build, see where the good damage nodes are, then get all the fucking life that around these area that you can realistically get, and that's the build. There's some optimization to look into(can you drop 10points in one place to go through the tree and get 10points somewhere else that'll give 4% more life kind of shit) but yeah it's mostly stacking life.

Also stacking life on items. That's where the issue probably is, the console trading markets are limited from what I understand, low availability so high prices, while on PC you can easily find decent gear for like 1c and get all your resists maxed with ~5k life for less than an exalt. Obviously after that comes fitting in strong uniques or very good rares and rebalancing the rest of your gear which is where you spend all your money since the less items that can have 3resist+life you have, the better these items need to be.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its all about the on gear pieces at that point (maps). You should have something like 80-120% increased health from nodes if you picked up the HP Box section, then each piece of gear with 70~ hp adds something like 250 effective HP to your survivability.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I bet some people here will get a kick out of this.

And by that, I mean recoil in horror. To be completely honest, I'm one of those people that writes lazy commit messages. I strongly prefer to rely on docstrings and code comments. Also, none of the code I write(QA) is customer facing. But if I knew my commit messages were being used this way, I'd write much better ones.

I kinda empathize for the poor schlub that has to do this each release. This is a classic plug the holes instead of fixing the process. Which is also symbolized by their usage of SVN. When I first started at my current employer, QA staff were writing manual test checklists for features written by devs. If you want a blackbox test, sure. You want a test that will exercise a large majority of your code paths? The developer should write it or you pay the extra time for the not developer to familiarize themselves with the applicable code.

The latter is pretty much what GGG is doing here. It's painfully obvious to the person being misused but I've found everyone else involved is usually just oblivious until you spit in their faces. A few are sometimes aware and would rather pay a human to do an inefficient job than fix the process.

QA doesn't write test checklists anymore at my current employer. It's one of the things I pride myself of changing since my boss retired and I took over the position.
Additional food for thought: why would they post this? GGG's process is under scrutiny for producing buggy league launches. The most recent one being the worst. Obviously, some guy inefficiently spending 80 hours is not the long pole in the tent. But GGG has to know that a non-insignificant amount people that are familiar with the software development process also play PoE, will look at this, and assume it's emblematic.

Maybe this is the poor guy's way of this particular responsibility off his plate.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Additional food for thought: why would they post this? GGG's process is under scrutiny for producing buggy league launches. The most recent one being the worst. Obviously, some guy inefficiently spending 80 hours is not the long pole in the tent. But GGG has to know that a non-insignificant amount people that are familiar with the software development process also play PoE, will look at this, and assume it's emblematic.

Maybe this is the poor guy's way of this particular responsibility off his plate.
Crowd source ways to improve their process.

• 1Worf