Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

Fiddler

Lord Nagafen Raider
I highly recommend this series, they set a good tone, the pacing is good and for the most part I like all the characters. The world building isn't hugely original like a Sanderson novel might be, but it's fun and keeps you interested.

Raign

Golden Squire
Having finished the first book (The Name of the Wind) and now closing in on the end of the second (The Wise Man's Fear), I have to ask, anyone else read these? I have enjoyed these even more than Song of Fire and Ice or Wheel or Time or frankly any book (except maybe Confederacy of Dunces but that is kind of like comparing apples and oranges). As far as fantasy goes, these are just completely amazing.

Raign

Golden Squire
Merged that Mooseriding maplesucker's thread with the real one.
Fook. I am a retard.. worse.. blind and retarded.

Well, I have to agree with all the comments above. The 'romance' part of it is definitely weak but I love the series.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Good to know he's got another gig while writing the third book.

tumblr_mh5y30a25P1r34y4ho1_1280.jpg

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Rereading the first book again now and I am struck by just how much Kvothe resembles Batman. Minus the wealth and Alfred of course, but his story is basically take a young kid, start training them with a variety of skills and apply them to the task of revenge. Of course Batman's mythos avoided the entire teenager angsty love crap that was the second book (at least how I remember it) so maybe he can get to kicking ass in the third book.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished the 2nd book. I think my issues stem from the fact that some of the scene transitions are so sudden that it's jarring. One minute he's getting the piss beat out of him and then he back to telling the story in what seems like minutes. 2nd book dragged on much more than needed. I would of preferred he spent more time on the trip to Severen vs. all the time he was in the Eld before encountering the bandits. I agree with the Denna storyline, it feels like a forced romance, especially after his trip to the Fae.

Both me and my wife read it, and she thinks that Denna's patron is
Bredon (think that's his name, guy he played Tak with)

Devlin

Golden Squire
Just finished the 2nd book. I think my issues stem from the fact that some of the scene transitions are so sudden that it's jarring. One minute he's getting the piss beat out of him and then he back to telling the story in what seems like minutes. 2nd book dragged on much more than needed. I would of preferred he spent more time on the trip to Severen vs. all the time he was in the Eld before encountering the bandits. I agree with the Denna storyline, it feels like a forced romance, especially after his trip to the Fae.

Both me and my wife read it, and she thinks that Denna's patron is
Bredon (think that's his name, guy he played Tak with)
Does that mean Bredon is one of the Chandrian because I really think her patron is.

I'm actually preferring this to ASOIAF at the moment, mainly because I think that fat old bastard is going to die before he finishes the story.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is not really going to be a trilogy? I finished the second book and just couldn't see how Kvothe would be in any way ready to finish the whole deal.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember reading that there will be 2 trilogies. This first one is about Kvothes backstory from his point of view, and the second one will be about adult Kvothe, maybe more focused on the Chandrians.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does that mean Bredon is one of the Chandrian because I really think her patron is.

I'm actually preferring this to ASOIAF at the moment, mainly because I think that fat old bastard is going to die before he finishes the story.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is not really going to be a trilogy? I finished the second book and just couldn't see how Kvothe would be in any way ready to finish the whole deal.
That's possible although I can't remember if saw all seven of them when his parents died. If so that kills that idea since he probably would recognize him. Wife thinks the hint that he's her patron was his walking stick

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I remember reading that there will be 2 trilogies. This first one is about Kvothes backstory from his point of view, and the second one will be about adult Kvothe, maybe more focused on the Chandrians.
If this is true, I will probably be dead before he finishes
frown.png

phen_sl

shitlord
I remember hearing this too, but i haven't been able to find the interview where he said that. I hope that's true, because there's NO way he can wrap up everything with just 1 more book.

Also, for those who haven't started this series yet, you should!

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really like the series, but as someone pointed out in one of the threads that I have read about these books, the writing suffers from the Superman conundrum. Anything Kvothe does, he is pretty much awesome at. Even his mistakes turn out to be awesome. It kind of diminishes the suspension of disbelief for me. I guess I am just partial to flawed characters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I really like the series, but as someone pointed out in one of the threads that I have read about these books, the writing suffers from the Superman conundrum. Anything Kvothe does, he is pretty much awesome at. Even his mistakes turn out to be awesome. It kind of diminishes the suspension of disbelief for me. I guess I am just partial to flawed characters.
The character has a fatal flaw greater than Kryptonite which keeps it interesting for me. Every time he achieves some new height, his temper screws everything up for him. One step forward, two steps back. If Kvothe didn't constantly fuck himself over there would be no story.