Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
No guys, it's cool. This is going to be How I Met Your Mother / Harry Potter rolled into one. Brilliant!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
The character has a fatal flaw greater than Kryptonite which keeps it interesting for me. Every time he achieves some new height, his temper screws everything up for him. One step forward, two steps back. If Kvothe didn't constantly fuck himself over there would be no story.
I thought his fatal flaw was Denna?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Agreed. Denna and his obsession with her gets annoying fast.
I've just finished re-reading both books. It's very well written (it reminds me of a more grown-up Wizard of Earthsea) but every 10 chapters is Kvothe hatching up some way of getting money, bumping into Denna no matter where in the world he happens to be, and then promptly losing both money and Denna just in time for the next 10 chapters. There's enough going on for it to be really interesting, but it relies a bit too much on the hero carelessly throwing away all his advantages at the earliest opportunity.

Lusiphur

Peasant
He could kill Denna off on page 1 of Book 3 and I doubt anyone male (and a fair number of women) would care. Awful, awful character and motivation.

The twilight crowd would break the internet however
frown.png

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I remember reading that there will be 2 trilogies. This first one is about Kvothes backstory from his point of view, and the second one will be about adult Kvothe, maybe more focused on the Chandrians.
I read that the first three books were written as one single volume, presumably almost 3,000 pages long. Some parts were done years ago as short stories, which could explain why it occasionally "jumps" from place to place and skips over potentially interesting incidents like trials and shipwrecks.

There's too much left to really cover in one more book, even if the pace dramatically picks up.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am not sure this is true. I have never met anyone that really enjoyed the Denna character. It is glaring how bad she is in an otherwise solid series.
I think the issues I have is not so much with Denna herself (she's basically a glorified whore) but how Kvothe just happens to run into her no matter where the hell he is and then his character progression basically comes to a halt until she leaves. Even my wife thinks the whole relationship angle is ridiculous.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think the issues I have is not so much with Denna herself (she's basically a glorified whore) but how Kvothe just happens to run into her no matter where the hell he is and then his character progression basically comes to a halt until she leaves. Even my wife thinks the whole relationship angle is ridiculous.
Yeah, that is what I meant. He meets all these other smart and capable women, who he immediately drops for the glorified whore whenever she shows up. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem if she didn't show up constantly, no matter how absurd the coincidences it would require for her to show up there.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The only coincidence that bothered me, really rustled my jimmies, was their random meeting in Tarbean when he saved her from the asthma attack. She works for a member of the chandrian and Kvothe is always looking for them so she's there. That's not a coincidence anymore than finding a pilot at an airport is.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I suspect she is one of the Chandrian and that's going to be the big twist. At which point I will roll my eyes so hard I will probably need surgery to correct it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
It's also possible she's a mirror of Kvothe. Maybe the amyr killed her family and she's working with the Chandrian to get revenge.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I suspect she is one of the Chandrian and that's going to be the big twist. At which point I will roll my eyes so hard I will probably need surgery to correct it.
I thought she was the sister of Meluan Lackless, the one who ran away with the Ruh. I go along with Bredon being her mentor, I don't think he's a Chandrian but he's in league with them, and using Denna and the bandits to destabilise the Maer's realm.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I thought she was the sister of Meluan Lackless, the one who ran away with the Ruh. I go along with Bredon being her mentor, I don't think he's a Chandrian but he's in league with them, and using Denna and the bandits to destabilise the Maer's realm.
Pretty sure Kvothe's mother is the sister that ran away.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's the first thing my wife said after she read the book about Bredon.

Scarhand

Trakanon Raider
It's also possible she's a mirror of Kvothe. Maybe the amyr killed her family and she's working with the Chandrian to get revenge.
This is pretty much what I think. She's basically a female version of Kvothe, which explains the attraction he feels. I agree that the romance feels a little juvenile but I hope that's by design as Kvothe himself is a boy/young man through most of their relationship thus far.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I love this series, but the last few months have me a bit worried about it's future. Rothfuss is young(ish), but has only managed to put out two books in six years and now he's already sold the TV rights to Fox. I can't fault him at all for making money and working his popularity, but after one great book and one just-good book with way too much Denna, I'd have liked to see more of his work before he became a blogosphere darling.

Hopefully I'm completely off the mark and the next book ends up kicking ass.

One of the thing I'm looking forward learning in book 3 is if the "angel" Kvothe mentions killing in book 1 is Denna or if he actually ends up in a confrontation with one of the 9 angels described by Skarpi.

It is a little bizarre that after THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of years of hunting down the Chandrian, the 9 chosen by Aleph have been unable to dispatch even ONE of them. Maybe there's a reason for that beyond getting late to the Chandrian's little blue parties.