Persona 5

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Dammit now I want to pause Nier and play through this tomorrow since others are. But I was just informed it was date night, at least we're seeing Power Rangers.

Go and enjoy the movie. Not going to be able to play through it in a day.

How long is Persona 5? - HLTB

Main story alone is 100+ hours. Fastest recorded time so far out of 39 registered completions is 56 hours.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I'm about 20 hours in now, halfway or so through palace 2. I love the combat and palaces and stuff to the point where I had like an 8 hour binge session last night, but detest a lot of the day to day stuff. It really rubs me wrong how this fucking cat is telling me to go to bed all the time. FUCK YOU CAT, YOU'RE NOT MY MOM

i mean shit my mom sent me away instead of coming along damn what a bitch

p.s. don't bother renting DVDs the first two months or so, you never get any fucking free time to watch anything and you start getting late fees after 7 days. WTB Japanese netflix

i really need to look up good persona combos and stuff, i feel like my combat sucks balls with 20% of the time I just flat out wiping and restarting on stuff I should kill. If I get surprised by an enemy i am in deep shit. I only recently discovered triangle doing crazy combo damage if I get all the enemies in a down state.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I am now caught up with the start of the game, It has gotten harder don't think I'm gonna enjoy the Merciless play-thru I have planned later but man the story just keeps getting better and better, so worth the wait > P4(I never played P4G didn't see a point in getting a Vita)

For DVD go ahead and rent, and try to get late fee's I dare you hahahaha

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i really need to look up good persona combos and stuff, i feel like my combat sucks balls with 20% of the time I just flat out wiping and restarting on stuff I should kill. If I get surprised by an enemy i am in deep shit. I only recently discovered triangle doing crazy combo damage if I get all the enemies in a down state.

Well if you want some tips for personas:
1. First off, I keep my tablet handy with Persona 5 Compendium open in it. Be aware that there are some mistakes in it though, mostly situations where they wrote down something as an innate skill without realizing that they actually inherited it. For example, it says that Kushi Mitami comes with Garu, and that is false. It's still really useful anyway though. I just wish there was a calculator that would let me click a persona and have it show me all the things it can produce via fusion, sorted by level of the second component.

2. P3/P4 veterans should already know this, but always carry the right arcana for your confidants. Early game, this means Chariot, Lovers, Death, and Hierophant; Temperance and Emperor come a bit later. Note that some confidants do not require a matching persona at all (Sun, Moon, Fool, Strength, Magician, Justice, Judgement). You're just wasting time if you hang out with a confident and you don't have the right arcana on you. It doesn't actually need to be equipped, btw.

3. It's really easy to create Saki/Kushi Mitama personas that have the 4 main spells (Agi, Bufu, Garu, Zio). They have a solid Ma stat so they will do good damage too. Make sure you get Strength confidant to rank 1 before you fuse a Kushi though.

4. Lucky Punch is extremely useful, as it can knock down almost anything with a bit of luck. Morgana learns it, and you can grab it for MC as early as level 8 (Obariyon). I then fused Obariyon x Jack o'Lantern to make a Mokoi and inherited both Lucky Punch and Snap. This covers four important things: Death arcana for the confidant, decent St stat and Skull Cracker for medium phys damage, good Ag stat and Snap for a medium gun attack that doesn't use bullets, and Lucky Punch for knockdowns. Mokoi has really low Luck but it still crits a lot anyway.

Minor spoiler related to Lucky Punch and the second palace:
Make sure you knockdown the Regent that pops out of the gold vase after you complete the laser beam section. If you don't yet have a Psy or Nuke attack, you will have to use Lucky Punch to do it. It's far more important to get Regent into your compendium than it is to get a bit of XP and yen. You can't equip it, but you can fuse it with stuff to give any of the light AE dmg Ma_______ spells to something else.

5. Save a slot for a persona with high Ma and Dia/Media/Diarama/etc. skills. In the case of one like High Pixie which needs to be leveled to unlock Diarama it's a good idea to try to fuse it in such a way that it has Growth 1 on it (Saki Mitama x Eligor, for example), since you might not end fights very often with your healing persona equipped unless you're specifically grinding xp for it.

6. Not strictly persona-related, but don't forget about Technical combos. Use sleep or dizzy on something and then follow it up with your strongest physical attack for a lot more damage than usual. This even works on most mini-bosses. It can also occur if you follow up freeze/shock with physical, or burning with wind, but basic spells have very low chance of landing secondary effects so Dormina or Dazzler are your best bet.

Might want to read pages 44 and 45 of the manual too, they're pretty helpful for stuff I never saw mentioned in a tutorial.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I do think this is probably the most approachable Persona game, but still would be difficult for an average/mainstream gamer to jump into. That being said, it's pretty much perfect for anyone who has prior SMT/Persona experience. I'm about to finish the 3rd dungeon and the game just keeps getting better. I can't wait to have the full cast of party members, the character interactions so far have been fantastic.

I think P3 is more approachable than this game. I read up on absolutely nothing about P5 and I was surprised they added SMT style monster negotiation to the Persona series (maybe it existed in P1/P2 I can't recall) and they keep adding more and more gameplay to the dungeon. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing but the gameplay in P3/P4 was a lot more straight forward than it is in P5.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah the music choices for Persona have always been top notch. Nothing better than some J-Pop blaring in the background while you're discussing getting diddled by a teacher.

Vaclav

Yeah the music choices for Persona have always been top notch. Nothing better than some J-Pop blaring in the background while you're discussing getting diddled by a teacher.

I thought it's more Acid Jazz than J-Pop

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I can't be the only one who thinks the whole setup and premise for the second dungeon is completely retarded

spronk

FPS noob
pretty much all the setups seem kinda retarded to me but i just shrug and think "welp... thats japan for ya". I mean in America every one of these "palaces" would have been solved with (real) guns or police like within 3 days of starting.

man vorph i really need to read up on this persona shit I literally have NO idea what you are talking about, I don't even know what an Arcana is lol I guess I know what a confidant is but I'm just trying to bang Ann, fuck that cockblocking retard running guy. I just have to read that P5 manual you linked, I just use personas so far that look cool

i let the first diamond chest monster run away, sucks to be me :(

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
pretty much all the setups seem kinda retarded to me but i just shrug and think "welp... thats japan for ya". I mean in America every one of these "palaces" would have been solved with (real) guns or police like within 3 days of starting.

man vorph i really need to read up on this persona shit I literally have NO idea what you are talking about, I don't even know what an Arcana is lol I guess I know what a confidant is but I'm just trying to bang Ann, fuck that cockblocking retard running guy. I just have to read that P5 manual you linked, I just use personas so far that look cool

i let the first diamond chest monster run away, sucks to be me :(
Each confidant has an associated arcana (for example the doctor bitch is Death arcana). If you have a Death arcana persona in your roster then when you hang out with her you get more of the music note things with each answer. You need a certain number of those between each gained star, which means sometimes you can hang out with a confidant and not gain a star. Which means having an arcana of the same type reduces or eliminates the wasted hang out sessions where you don't gain a star.

By the way, each time you hang out where you gain a level, some of the responses are also the "correct" ones. Those will get you more of the music note things as well. Pretty much no way to guess which ones are the good ones without a guide though

tl;dr:
Just bang Ann and don't worry about it

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just completed dungeon 2. Had 250k. Then I noticed the SP regen accessories...

Info on (edit)must have(/end edit) SP regen items.
Doctor sells SP regen accessories when you get her up in levels. I first noticed the accessories tab when she was level 5. She had level 1-3 accessories at 40 - 80 and 100k? Not tried their effectiveness yet on just how much they regenerate, but bought a level 2 and 3

EDIT: They restore 5 and 7 SP each turn in combat.... Time to grind out money to get everyone one of those. Should be able to do dungeons from start to treasure with these. Just save, go to start of the dungeon and find the easiest encounter then sleep it or just take the damage while guarding 20 turns and max your sp again.

Fairly easy money grind
The randomly generated dungeon resets every floor after you enter another floor, including chests and drops. So if you just go to a checkpoint floor, you can go down one floor, run around and get items, go back up, save, go down again and repeat as long as you want. I did it for around 30 minutes the first time I went down there and made 150k, assume that would be higher the lower you go. If you do it during May when the dungeon is affected by pollen, many of the mobs are sleeping so it is easier to just go about getting loot without fighting

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Re: accessories (and not really much of a spoiler)

Don't buy the accessories until you hit Death 7, she cuts the price in half. That's still before the Charm 4 gate, so it's a no-brainer to save 50k on each.

And yeah, Death is by far the most important confidant to rank up as early as possible.

Another persona tip: Matador is as OP as ever. Fuse one with Snap so that he has a gun attack, Lucky Punch because it's absurdly good, Magaru so you complete the Strength request, and whatever else you like. You'll be using it so much that Growth 1 isn't even worth considering. Assuming you have already done Death 7 by the time you're level 19 and able to fuse him, he should hit almost 22 with the bonus xp.

If you need to know how to do that:
Mokoi = Obariyon x Jack O'Lantern (inherit Snap and Lucky Punch)
Matador = Mokoi x Regent (inherit Snap, Lucky Punch, and Magaru; add Skull Cracker if your Mokoi is leveled enough to give you 4 slots on fusion)

Since there's a very long gap between Death 7 and 8 due to the Charm 4 requirement, it's a good idea to put Matador in jail anytime you've got a long stretch of story coming up. If you're lucky you'll get rid of its elec weakness.

(In case it's not obvious, the reason Matador is OP is Swift Strike.)

Last edited:

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Each confidant has an associated arcana (for example the doctor bitch is Death arcana). If you have a Death arcana persona in your roster then when you hang out with her you get more of the music note things with each answer. You need a certain number of those between each gained star, which means sometimes you can hang out with a confidant and not gain a star. Which means having an arcana of the same type reduces or eliminates the wasted hang out sessions where you don't gain a star.

By the way, each time you hang out where you gain a level, some of the responses are also the "correct" ones. Those will get you more of the music note things as well. Pretty much no way to guess which ones are the good ones without a guide though

tl;dr:
Just bang Ann and don't worry about it
Allllso, Chihaya (the fortune teller) will eventually unlock the "Affinity Reading" ability, which means you pay 5k to raise your progress to rank up with the Confidant/Arcana of your choice. I don't recall any restrictions to her readings, though.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
After catching up with the beginning of them game, my 1 warning prepare lots of time the fights are awesome but 30min+ fights...

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Legitimately, what fights have you run across that take 30 minutes? If you aren't downing all the enemies by exploiting their weaknesses, they tend to assrape your entire party fairly quickly. And even the palace leaders don't take anywhere near that long, unless you are engaging everything with the shit they are strong against and also just being strong against their attacks?

Confuzled.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dunno who this is, but i thought it was pretty funny:

17800455_10212404491138127_1820071450451353636_n.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Archangel Gauntlet, towards the Chalice
Wait are you talking about the level 16 mobs that wander around in front of the stairs in the tower leading up to Kamoshida? They, like almost everything else, have a weakness. Click the spoiler for what it is:
Lightning

Just saying, but if you are spending 30 minutes on those fights, you are doing stuff fairly wrong hah.