Persona 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looking at the first two DLC personas, they only seem useful as skill card fusion fodder. Izanagi isn't exactly terrible to use, but I wouldn't replace a good inheritance Shiki-Ouji with him.

Izanagi Picaro is the only way to get Growth 3 onto a card, and Orpheus Picaro gets you access to the same Maragidyne card as Mara (which is a L73 persona). Somewhat cheater DLC I guess, but fairly tame by Atlus standards. Some of the other DLC personas out later in the month are pretty ridiculous even taking into account that you can't pass on their unique skills through inheritance.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Wait are you talking about the level 16 mobs that wander around in front of the stairs in the tower leading up to Kamoshida? They, like almost everything else, have a weakness. Click the spoiler for what it is:
Lightning

Just saying, but if you are spending 30 minutes on those fights, you are doing stuff fairly wrong hah.

Uhh I killed Kamo a long time ago, I am talking near the end of the game. *failFish*

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
In late July now.

Ryuji needs to stfu. He is starting to reach Shinji levels of annoying. Other than my utter dislike of his stupidity I am loving the game.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Uhh I killed Kamo a long time ago, I am talking near the end of the game. *failFish*

Edit - "Catching up to the beginning" meant the literal first 5 minutes of the game. I read that wrong initially~ Woopsies.

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
First ending, jesuss talk about fucked up
People wandering I took the fake Igor's side

Now for NG+ and the grind for all mementos....

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain this a bit more to me? I've seen Persona before, and my buddy has it, and I thought it was a fighting game?

Now I'm seeing videos of this and it looks like a turn based RPG? But like very little combat?

How does this game play out? Heavy narrative it seems like obviously, but outside of that how much combat and actual gameplay is there to be had?

edit; very rarely am I this ignorant on any type of game or confused about gaming in general, but I can't figure out this fucking Japanese shit for the life of me. it looks cool though and I think I want to play it

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sorry to say this, but every iteration in this series has been a turned-based RPG except Persona 3. They made Persona 3 with AI bots as your teammates which was terrible. They corrected that in the PSP version of Persona 3.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain this a bit more to me? I've seen Persona before, and my buddy has it, and I thought it was a fighting game?

Now I'm seeing videos of this and it looks like a turn based RPG? But like very little combat?

How does this game play out? Heavy narrative it seems like obviously, but outside of that how much combat and actual gameplay is there to be had?

edit; very rarely am I this ignorant on any type of game or confused about gaming in general, but I can't figure out this fucking Japanese shit for the life of me. it looks cool though and I think I want to play it

It is turn based, combat is mixed with story progression. You do activities that lead up to dungeons which are around 1-2 hours each (so far, done 4). Dungeons unlock further progression in a randomized side dungeon you can enter for grinding, loot and getting new personas (spirits with different abilities/resists). You get boss encounters in the side dungeon too based on story (you learn of a bad person and their evil heart materializes in the dungeon, you can save up several boss encounters in the side dungeon, so don't have to do it constantly). Tactical combat to the point of rewarding you by exploiting weaknesses. Hit a mob weak to lightning with lightning and you get a new turn as they are knocked down, knock down all enemies and you get a chance to do a combined attack for heavy damage or try to get a mob as a persona or get money/items from them. If the persona you are using is weak to a mob attack, you get stunned and they get a new attack. So the combat is good (if you like turn based).

It is heavily story based though. And a JRPG by being very Japanese in style. As to the story, you get the ability to enter peoples distorted hearts to change them so their real life selves undergo a positive change and the story does not shy away from elements that you would tie to bad hearts. Depression, suicide, abuse (mental, physical, sexual), drugs, murder, trafficing (sex, drugs).

It is a high scool simulator with the above mixed in. You spend days bettering yourself in social skills, which unlock the ability to do more activites and more social links. It is time management as in you generally have a day and an evening activity each day following a calender. You have to choose who you talk to and what stats you raise. IE: Entering a dungeon (have to be day) will also cause you to get tired and not be able to do much in the evening. That said, there are some acitivites that doesn't cost time, like buying things. Since it follows a calendar, certain things are tied to certain days like date xx/xx you get a question in class, answer it correctly and you get a boost to your knowledge stat. Questions are real, so you migt know the answer to some, while others are more obscure or dealing with Japanese things. Since every day progresses some part of a story, be it main or side quest or your stats, it quickly (for me at least) turns into the Xcom feeling of just one more day/turn.

It is as you said, very Japanese, but I recommend just trying it. It's not really an either or game. If you only like combat, be it turn based or not, there is way too much other content to make it enjoyable. If you only like story, there is also way too much combat to make it enjoyable. If you enjoy it or not depends on what you mean by "actual gameplay". If you don't think running around figuring out who to talk to, what stat to raise with what activity, mixing personas to get new ones, etc is gameplay, then around 50+% of the game might not be that enjoyable for you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The entire Shin Megami Tensei series of games are fairly decent/good, with some outstanding titles if you don't have a hardon for using the term "weeaboo" in a derogatory manner regarding all things japanese. If you enjoy anime at all, and like RPGs, this series is basically built to cater directly to that. Storywise it is generally fairly adult and lots of hilarious tropes that it tends to randomly turn on their head.

The one downside that I always have regarding the persona games is that you have a limited total number of actions before you either beat the game or get a game over. Which is fine because it drives the story, but in other types of games it is very annoying to me to only have x actions a day I can take and only y days to take those actions in, before the game ends. Valkyrie Profile always stands out as one of "those" types of games.

They're solid RPGs, but like Droigan said, if you are looking for a straight dungeon crawler, or a straight visual novel, or anything that sort of just goes heavily in one direction... you're going to have to consistently do "other" stuff regardless of what your focus is.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
What's funny is I fucking can't stand anime, but somehow love this game. I imagine that if you love anime though this is gaming nirvana for you haha

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
Sorry to say this, but every iteration in this series has been a turned-based RPG except Persona 3. They made Persona 3 with AI bots as your teammates which was terrible. They corrected that in the PSP version of Persona 3.

He's probably thinking of Persona 4 Arena, which is indeed a fighting game lol

spronk

FPS noob
i'm not big into JRPGs and I absolutely hated Persona 4G although thinking back I think it was because i really just don't like playing games on a handheld for more than 30 mins or so, just the small screen, viewing angle, and controls make me wanna stop.

i've put in 5+ 6-10 hour sessions into P5 so far and I'm not even halfway through the game. There is a lot of combat, but its not that complex or deep - basically you have to determine an opponents weakness (via attacking them with certain powers) and then ruthlessly exploit the weaknesses once you find it. On top of that, you collect personas and there are HUNDREDS of them it seems and you can combine personas in various ways (combine 2 or 3, sacrifice one into another, and more ways I haven't discovered yet) and even more mechanics. Plus there's loot. So I find myself a lot of times just grinding dungeons trying to find personas, leveling up, getting loot, etc. Also each persona can only have 8 abilities max in their roster while they will get 10-20+ as they level/combine/etc so there is a lot of min/maxing in how you want your team to play out.

So yeah, i'd say combat and the RPG aspects of "how the fuck do I cover every possible situation I could run into and always be kicking ass" is a huge part of the game and very fun. I don't even really care much about the story parts, while some are interesting most are just along the lines of "how do I up my levels with this chick i wanna bang"

on that note, anyone know if i am totally screwed for low level personas? Like the 3-persona guillotine thing is something I haven't really done anything with, and looking at it now the first one needs three very low level personas. well... i can't really capture any low level guys anymore at level 42, since i basically always one shot them :(

Vorph

Persona 5 Compendium

Click on the three names at the bottom, there's tons of ways to make them. Just make sure when you create your Flauros that you inherit Tarukaja. It sounds like you're at least 5 ranks behind where you should be with the Strength confidant, so I'd suggest talking to the twins next time you're in the velvet room.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm only maybe 15 hours deep and I still don't see how if you didn't care for P3/P4 you'd like P5. Maybe you just need to replay them. P5 seems to basically take P3's Tartarus and put it in Mementos and P4's story-driven dungeons and put them in Palaces. I just opened the second palace and the school day still feels very much on-rails though. So far it felt like P3/P4 did a better job with SLink interaction than P5 is doing so far. I also think I care for the characters of P3/P4 more than the ones in P5 but I really only have a couple SLinks unlocked and the standard-issue fighting crew so it is hard to say.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm only maybe 15 hours deep and I still don't see how if you didn't care for P3/P4 you'd like P5. Maybe you just need to replay them. P5 seems to basically take P3's Tartarus and put it in Mementos and P4's story-driven dungeons and put them in Palaces. I just opened the second palace and the school day still feels very much on-rails though. So far it felt like P3/P4 did a better job with SLink interaction than P5 is doing so far. I also think I care for the characters of P3/P4 more than the ones in P5 but I really only have a couple SLinks unlocked and the standard-issue fighting crew so it is hard to say.

It's honestly pretty easy to see if you acceptthe fact that story and character are as important as gameplay for this series. P3 is one of my favorite games of all time, yet I couldn't even finish 4 which by most metrics is a superior game. I just didn't care for its story or its characters, hence I much preferred the worse game.

Still only 15 hours into p5 as well. Just haven't had enough time.

Vorph

P4 was a weird game. It was supposed to be a sort-of murder mystery, but ended up being much lighter in tone than P3. Also it had Teddie, who is still my most hated video game character of all time. P3's main cast was much stronger than all but Rise in P4 too. Maybe Kanji too, since Troy Baker can carry just about any role. The combat system was massively improved over P3 though, and that made up for most of its other shortcomings.

Like I've said a few times before, I'd kill for a HD merger of P3 FES and P3P that had the 3D environment and anime cutscenes (and The Answer, I guess... it really wasn't good though) of FES combined with the P4 combat system and alternate MC from P3P.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It has been a while but what did P4 combat have that P3 FES didn't have? Granted I never finished FES. I actually didn't mind the AI control in P3.

Vaclav

I think for me, I was in the same category as spronk - I probably would've liked them earlier, just playing on Vita for that long was hell for me. And on full sized screens the datedness made it harder to approach.

P5 is so goddamn good I regret that I felt that way, but regardless I share his "weirdness" in that.

Vaclav

P4 was a weird game. It was supposed to be a sort-of murder mystery, but ended up being much lighter in tone than P3. Also it had Teddie, who is still my most hated video game character of all time. P3's main cast was much stronger than all but Rise in P4 too. Maybe Kanji too, since Troy Baker can carry just about any role. The combat system was massively improved over P3 though, and that made up for most of its other shortcomings.

Like I've said a few times before, I'd kill for a HD merger of P3 FES and P3P that had the 3D environment and anime cutscenes (and The Answer, I guess... it really wasn't good though) of FES combined with the P4 combat system and alternate MC from P3P.

From my "over the shouldering" P4, I definitely agree with Rize and Kanji. Rest of the characters were pretty forgettable though. (or bad, a la Ted)

Thusfar, there's really not much in the way of bad characters in P5 that I've seen - Ryuji and Morgana's bedtime nannying being the lowest points (No cat, I'll go to bed when I want to, fucker...) - and even they're not THAT awful.