Persona 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is a point form list of battle changes:
  • Perhaps the most notable and well-known difference between this game and Persona 3 / FES is the fact that party members can now be controlled in battle like in Persona 4. To do this, change Tactics to Direct. This has received high praise and makes the game easier.
  • The Guard (now called "Defense") command will decrease the damage and any knockdown effects of the next attack the user suffers.
  • The game grants "1 More" to a combatant who attacks multiple enemies not knocking all of them down like in Persona 4; the original Persona 3 required all hit enemies to be knocked down for a 1 more.
  • Party members who have been knocked down no longer spend the turn by getting up and can act as soon as they stand.
  • Upon landing a critical hit or striking an enemy's weakness, party members will follow up with a co-op attack.
  • Fusion spells from the original Persona 3 have been removed. Instead, the player is able to acquire expendable items that perform various Fusion Spells.
  • Like Persona 4, party members will now "die for you".
  • There is a status effect called "dizzy".
Mostly it's the direct control. I thought the AI controlled party members were terrible and almost stopped playing the game several times on my PS2 because of it. P3P is a massive improvement, except it also removes the anime cutscenes and turns the town into a series of menus which I find ruins the story side of the game. I wouldn't mind playing P3P on my tablet like I did P1 and P2:IS, except you still need to sneak up on and strike enemies inside Tartarus, which kind of rules out playing with touch controls.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just set my attackers to exploit weakness AI (just had to make sure the mobile was scanned so you knew the weakness) and set Yukari to prioritize healing if no Wind vulnerable mobiles were present. P3 seemed overall like a pretty easy game once you got a bunch of personas on your MC with Ma* skills your MC would pretty much just win fights everytime you hit them.

Vaclav

BTW Vorph, since you seem to be great on finding resources - there any good lists you seen online for "Electric Chair" executions?

I've been wasting sooooo much money/time going through and checking everything for the possibility to transmute.

Vorph

I pretty much just use the compendium (or the other one which is steadily improving). Skill cards are a pain to remember, while weapons are fairly straightforward. Also, weapons barely do anything for you other than increasing damage dealt by All Out Attack.

Vaclav

I pretty much just use the compendium (or the other one which is steadily improving). Skill cards are a pain to remember, while weapons are fairly straightforward. Also, weapons barely do anything for you other than increasing damage dealt by All Out Attack.

Dunno, most seem to add handy procs for grinding out with auto attack and/or when there's an immune. First midlevel transmute I did for Morgana has a pretty consistent Despair proc which has been handy vs Wind immunes/etc.

Vorph

I bought SP Adhesive 3's for everyone, so I haven't cared about autoattack (or SP) in a long time.

Aside from a couple really annoying treasure mobs, Lucky/Miracle Punch on a super high Luck persona handles pretty much everything that can't be knocked down easily.

Vaclav

I bought SP Adhesive 3's for everyone, so I haven't cared about autoattack (or SP) in a long time.

Aside from a couple really annoying treasure mobs, Lucky/Miracle Punch on a super high Luck persona handles pretty much everything that can't be knocked down easily.

Heh, I usually do my autoattack to let SP Adhesive's have some time to refill

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
What's funny is I fucking can't stand anime, but somehow love this game. I imagine that if you love anime though this is gaming nirvana for you haha
Same. Pretty much hate most of the weird ass anime shit, still like persona.

What bothers me is just how repetitive the dialogue can get. It's like they say the same shit in a slightly different way 10 times per hour playtime.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So I'm trying to do he Strength 5 persona request (Ame-no-Uzume w/ Dodge Psy) so I've looked up what's needed for it, and everywhere I've seen says min level of 29 (I'm 31), but they also list only two options to create the persona, Arsene+Norn or Okuninushi + Sadama .

Ok is listed as level 44 and Norn is 52. Am I missing something?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So I'm trying to do he Strength 5 persona request (Ame-no-Uzume w/ Dodge Psy) so I've looked up what's needed for it, and everywhere I've seen says min level of 29 (I'm 31), but they also list only two options to create the persona, Arsene+Norn or Okuninushi + Sadama .

Ok is listed as level 44 and Norn is 52. Am I missing something?

Spoiler for solution
Fuse Kin-Ki with Sui-Ki. Kin-Ki learns Dodge Psy at level 27. Kin-Ki is Chariot so will most likely level up to 27 automatically when you make it if you have a few ranks in that

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Spoiler for solution
Fuse Kin-Ki with Sui-Ki. Kin-Ki learns Dodge Psy at level 27. Kin-Ki is Chariot so will most likely level up to 27 automatically when you make it if you have a few ranks in that

The fusion quests are almost always just "level a base persona and then keep fusing it up" type scenarios. It's all about knowing the progression path. I'm sure there's a spreadsheet somewhere out there about exactly what can be mixed with whatever to create a certain persona. Then it's just a little bit of sleuth work to reverse engineer to find a pokem... er, persona that normally levels into that needed ability, and then passing it along through executions.

I do seem to remember that 4 had a persona fusion quest that basically required you to either use level 50+ persona to "delevel" them down, or use one of the items that give an ability, in order to get over a hump. Bit hazy on that part; I don't think I've ever done a "perfect" save of a Persona game because it can be incredibly tedious about how you spend your time.

Vorph

I've seen people recommend using a skill card on the final fusion test, but it's simple to just do it the same as every other one. It's a L51 persona, and there's a L50 one that has the skill you need which can easily be fused into one of the components.

As for a spreadsheet that tells you X + Y = Z, I've yet to see that anywhere for P5. It's all just "if you want Z, here's a million X + Y that will work." Both of those things would be useful, but we've only got one.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I haven't done a lot of deep diving in order to get the information, especially since I've had to take a hiatus on the game due to work. I know within a few weeks of P4s release there was a compendium on gamefaqs, but there's a good chance this one might take a little longer, since it seems there are looser requirements on "executing" to certain personas. I definitely remember tighter requirements in previous games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Can someone explain this a bit more to me? I've seen Persona before, and my buddy has it, and I thought it was a fighting game?

Now I'm seeing videos of this and it looks like a turn based RPG? But like very little combat?

How does this game play out? Heavy narrative it seems like obviously, but outside of that how much combat and actual gameplay is there to be had?

edit; very rarely am I this ignorant on any type of game or confused about gaming in general, but I can't figure out this fucking Japanese shit for the life of me. it looks cool though and I think I want to play it

You probably saw that Persona 4 I dunno if it was a fighting game or a dance game, but it was a spin off.

The main series is a turn based rpg with a "day in the life of"/dating sim slapped on top.

They're really excellent games though.