Pets

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just look on Petfinder rather than fraigslist
the bad thing about petfinder, is that a lot of private adoption orgs go through there. These are the annoying ppl that want to interview you and check out your home and shit like that.

I'm not saying i'm a drug lord living in the ghetto, i just don't want to deal with these freaks, also i have a friend who did this with Huskies, they were great, but they were also freaks about Huskies.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So don't just accept the first puppy you see unless its the one, be picky. What I mean is, some farmer's wife has a lap dog(s). That lapdog(s) somewhere in Kansas is getting banged by other farm dogs and sometimes lapdogs if its not fixed. If you know/see the two parents when you check out a litter, you can estimate the size reasonably well. If some 10 pound lapdog did it with a 30 pound working dog, you'll get some 20 pound or 15 pound runts in there. (Again, if you're worried about size). If anything about a specific litter visit to a farm is not meeting your requirements walk away. A person can't save every dog out there, and the puppy you ultimately rescue from a farm birth and let your wife coddle is going to win the dog rescue lottery in 99% of cases.

I think you underestimate how many country people view their dogs as printers of money and keep them unfixed. This usually results in a bunch of ads for 250 dollar mutts that never sell. And most of those dogs slip into the rescue system when they are no longer cute enough to sell as puppies and have built up a lot of bad experiences that need to be worked through as far as obedience. I don't necessarily mean they were mistreated, but if they had to fight for their portion of food for 10 months that can yield a pretty bad food behavior just as an example. The longer such a behavior is required for a dog to feel safe/survive the more consistent and longer it generally takes to break that.

Also when you go buy a dog from a farmer, its kind of like picking, you probably don't need to pay the sticker price. I promise if you look in an active way for a few months tops, you'll find a dog that fits what you're after. You'll find small dogs for sure.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Corgis are working dogs so they are pretty high energy/not great if you're going to leave them alone at the house all day. Also, they can kind of be assholes. I do know people who have them and like them though. Honestly, for a low maintenance dog, it's hard to go wrong with a lab or golden retriever or a cross of some kind. They're not "unique" but there's a reason so many people have them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So don't just accept the first puppy you see unless its the one, be picky. What I mean is, some farmer's wife has a lap dog(s). That lapdog(s) somewhere in Kansas is getting banged by other farm dogs and sometimes lapdogs if its not fixed. If you know/see the two parents when you check out a litter, you can estimate the size reasonably well. If some 10 pound lapdog did it with a 30 pound working dog, you'll get some 20 pound or 15 pound runts in there. (Again, if you're worried about size). If anything about a specific litter visit to a farm is not meeting your requirements walk away. A person can't save every dog out there, and the puppy you ultimately rescue from a farm birth and let your wife coddle is going to win the dog rescue lottery in 99% of cases.

I think you underestimate how many country people view their dogs as printers of money and keep them unfixed. This usually results in a bunch of ads for 250 dollar mutts that never sell. And most of those dogs slip into the rescue system when they are no longer cute enough to sell as puppies and have built up a lot of bad experiences that need to be worked through as far as obedience. I don't necessarily mean they were mistreated, but if they had to fight for their portion of food for 10 months that can yield a pretty bad food behavior just as an example. The longer such a behavior is required for a dog to feel safe/survive the more consistent and longer it generally takes to break that.

Also when you go buy a dog from a farmer, its kind of like picking, you probably don't need to pay the sticker price. I promise if you look in an active way for a few months tops, you'll find a dog that fits what you're after. You'll find small dogs for sure.
sounds good, i get what you're saying, they just let two dogs bone, and when cute puppies pop out, they take a bunch of picks and post em on whatever ebaypuppy, and the ones that don't sell, either cuz of saturation or just cuz no one wants a puppy at that particular time, they get sent to the pound cuz they lost all their puppy cuteness, it's not worth $$$, to have em around.
Corgis are working dogs so they are pretty high energy/not great if you're going to leave them alone at the house all day. Also, they can kind of be assholes. I do know people who have them and like them though. Honestly, for a low maintenance dog, it's hard to go wrong with a lab or golden retriever or a cross of some kind. They're not "unique" but there's a reason so many people have them.
sounds good, i honestly do want to stay away from purebreeds, i just feel like they're gonna be so inbred and fucked up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Baku was purebread. He was an awesome dog, but he had his problems. Nothing like hips or any of that, but he had neurological issues. He would get dizzy for no reason. Then the fact that he was only 7 when we had to put him down was REALLY bad. Stupid tumor in his chest cavity ruptured so he was bleeding out internally. It was really hard on us. But he was such an awesome dog. He was a pitbull, but very low energy. He was a beta. Unless you're aiming for your dog to be a working dog, NEVER get the alpha. Get one that will happily listen to you, because you're the boss.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't think i could ever live being the Beta, i was the Alpha w/ my previous dog, i don't think it'll be an issue w/ a small dog.

I'll walk that dog everyday so it knows i'm the Alpha, but i'm pretty sure since it'll be a small cute piece of shit i won't be able to NOT hug it or let it on the bed.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Size doesn't really matter , it's how you act.

My wife claims my dog is the alpha over me but when I get serious that thing does the ears back sinking into the floor please don't strike me dad look

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
One of the quickest, easiest ways to be 'Alpha' to any dog is make eye contact and stare them down till they look away. It's an important thing when meeting any dog for the first time. Dogs do this to each other before the ass sniff. Its a technique covered in almost all dog training books worth a shit.

When you are dealing with a young puppy they will 'test' your alpha status and their pack level often. Dogs don't actually want to be the Alpha, even aggressive breeds. They want to follow a strong leader.

When a pup goes too far pushing to test you, grab it firmly by the scruff of its neck and push down til it goes prone. You aren't trying to hurt or scare it. Its the same mechanics that a parent dog uses to make a pup submit. It may struggle, but don't let it up till it stops resisting and goes limp. Do that when they are very young and you will never have to Alpha roll - Wikipedia an out of control older dog later in it's life. Even in a barking frenzy or a fight I can just lay my hand on the back of the neck, say NO and my dogs automatically go prone to the floor and submit. The trick is to firm but not inflicting pain.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
There's nothing wrong with hugging your dog or anything like that. I know guys that won't let anyone pet their cow dogs, let alone play with them because they think it will ruin them but that is bullshit. I cuddle my dog, have thrown him a billion sticks, and even wrestle with him when he's feeling playful and he's a better cowdog than 90% of the dogs I see and I can make him roll over on his back submissively just by looking at him with a frown on my face. All you need to do is to be firm and consistent with them and make sure that if you're playing it's okay but when you say it's over, it's over. My dog is a purebred border collie which are naturally submissive dogs, but I think the main thing is to spend enough time with them that the dog understands your relationship and knows what you expect of them and they will be happy to accept their role. I have invited my dog to get on the bed before and he hates it. He's a nervous wreck for as long as he's up there and wants to get down immediately, just because that's not his place and he knows it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
All you need to do is to be firm and consistent with them

This is what is all about. It's super challenging and takes a shit ton of vigilance, the first time you let a rule slide it's not longer a rule.

Upside is that if you do a good job of laying all the ground rules in early days, it becomes less and less work. I rarely have to instruct my dogs anymore, they look to me for a signal approval before executing a command I no longer have to give and most of my commands I use now are a mumbled word or two or a simple 'OK".

Last edited:

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
FYI Alpha behavior between humans and dogs has been debunked over and over and over and over

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I have invited my dog to get on the bed before and he hates it. He's a nervous wreck for as long as he's up there and wants to get down immediately, just because that's not his place and he knows it.
You're not kidding. Baku HATED even coming into our room regardless of the situation, because that wasn't his place. If he was in there and the door was closed (give him a bath or because he fell asleep while my wife was doing the laundry before bed) he would pace and complain. It wouldn't stop until that door was open and he could escape.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
FYI Alpha behavior between humans and dogs has been debunked over and over and over and over

If you want to play semantics and say that the premise of wolf behavior observations is flawed? Fine.

But if you want to live with a dog in your life. You need to be in control of the animal for its own saftey and everyone it encounters. Label that relationship whatever you want.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You're not kidding. Baku HATED even coming into our room regardless of the situation, because that wasn't his place. If he was in there and the door was closed (give him a bath or because he fell asleep while my wife was doing the laundry before bed) he would pace and complain. It wouldn't stop until that door was open and he could escape.
My dog sleeps in my spot on the bed unless I'm going to bed. Then it acts super nervous and leaves. It's weird because I love my dog but I'm making it sound like I best it with a belt

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
who has debunked Alpha behavior between humans and dogs?

It's the only way to raise a dog, if not, the dog raises you!

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Last edited:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Dogs have personality tendencies like any human. To ignore the spectrum of what that can be when you chose your dog is to just be ignorant of one more feature. My most recent acquisition, when I walked up I said I wanted the meekest/smallest/girl of the litter and was completely understood by a man with a fleet of working cattle dogs. By 8-10 weeks the environment a puppy lives in can completely give it all kinds of behavioral realities. I wasn't steered wrong. The way we talk about dogs may be a bit parochial in explanation, but the underlying truth(s) as Zapatta has pointed out is absolutely there. Dogs aren't some flat slate, they are each individuals as much as any human is.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Dogs have personality tendencies like any human. To ignore the spectrum of what that can be when you chose your dog is to just be ignorant of one more feature. My most recent acquisition, when I walked up I said I wanted the meekest/smallest/girl of the litter and was completely understood by a man with a fleet of working cattle dogs. By 8-10 weeks the environment a puppy lives in can completely give it all kinds of behavioral realities. I wasn't steered wrong. The way we talk about dogs may be a bit parochial in explanation, but the underlying truth(s) as Zapatta has pointed out is absolutely there. Dogs aren't some flat slate, they are each individuals as much as any human is.

As you may be able to tell from my avatar. I have a red ACD. She was the runt of the liter. Fast forward a year., she was 2 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier than her parents who were big for the breed.

Runts go one of two ways. Stay small of become giamt. Rarely is their middle ground.