Pets

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother had a beagle and that dog was such an asshole. I think it was more of a relief than anything when she got run over.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He's willful for sure but he listens to me with no issues usually. From the get go I made sure he knew who was in charge (we rescued him at 7 weeks) and had to take it down a notch when he began submissive peeing a little bit when I approached him half the time.

Now with me, he's great. However when I leave apparently (I'm told) he turns into an asshole. However I've seen him and the cat playing and him bark twice and be told "see? That's how he is when you're gone!" And im like "uhhhh....he's playing." At which point I'm the asshole for not seeing her point.

So I dunno what to believe. She's a cat person and the extra effort for a dog isn't up yet ally, and I get that. While I don't believe he's an all out dick when I'm gone, I do believe she perceives him to be.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
New rescue

IMG_20170403_145847_071.jpg

20170403_173310.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
This is Sugar, she will be 12 years old in 8 days. She is half American Bulldog & half English Bulldog, aka 1st gen Olde English Bulldogge.

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider
Rescued this guy in January. He was so scared and timid of everything when we got him I had to carry him into the house.

IMG_1183.JPG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Took like 3 mins to get her to quit mean mugging and idk what she's even looking at

20170426_200545.jpg

20170426_200542.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Backyard squirrels. Very low maintenance with zero emotional attachment. If one dies, can't tell since they all look alike.

7xEfnFr.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Going to be moving to Kansas in a bit, gonna be buying a big ass house, figured it times to get a dog again.

I've only ever had one dog, and he was a shelter rescue chow/GSD, and he lived 12 years, he was a good guard dog, barked when ppl walked to the door, hated delivery men and only ever growled at black ppl, he was the best. (he did growl at this super scared chinese friend of mine, which petrified me and my wife since he only ever did that to black ppl, again our dog was super racist and the best)

Thinking of a corgi or a terrier, i'm gonna acquiesce and just get a dog my wife wants, one of those little pieces of shits.

This will be new territory for me, getting a puppy and all, also even purchasing one, apparently corgi pups are 1k or around there, while i don't personally believe in buying a puppy, it's impossible to just nab a puppy from the shelter, and probably infinintely more impossible to nab a corgi puppy.

We might even think about getting some ugly ass poodle mix (the non shed kind), like a labradoodle or whatever.

thoughts?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I highly recommend getting a mutt of similar characteristics. A lot of pure-breed dogs suffer ultimately from whatever genetic predispositions their breed has. You really don't need to spend 1k on a puppy. I guarantee you will find a puppy mutt of your choice if you look at craigslist. Puppies are a lot of work if you're really getting something very young like 10 weeks, and people want to sell these dogs. Being stuck with 7 10 month old dogs that people didn't really want to train or care for is why so many young dogs end up at the pound, but not as puppies. So just intervene at the 150-200 dollar level when they are old enough to ween from the mother. For 1k I would hope you're getting something that's trained and 6 or 8 months old, or I think you're just spending money on buying the dog that you could spend buying the dog a bunch of nice things.

Filling your house with acceptable chew toys is a must if you're gonna have a puppy. They just need an assortment of things they prefer to chew when they feel the urge. They teeth for quite a long time., Cow hooves are one of my go to, they last longer than just about anything. Your puppy is gonna pee/poo like 6-8 times a day when its young, so have a good plan. Baby gates and pee pads can seem like an expensive buy, but just shift what you'd pay for a purebred into the puppy care arena.

My best dog advice is to decide what general spectrum of personality you prefer vs a breed or a type. Alpha dogs/beta dogs are very different creatures. I'm not an expert on what total spectrum of traits this covers, but I personally prefer beta style personalities, and seek them out. I would rather be patient and find the personality/characteristics I'm after, than jump into something. Every puppy is cute, they are hard to put down. Even the ugliest dog looked awesome as a puppy. Additionally, by the time your dog becomes its full size, you will be in love and your preferences now will be very pleased with the dog you know.

I have found my last two dogs on working farms, and have had great results. I paid no more than 150 bucks for 10 week old nuggets. One one was a house dog working dog cross (Jack Russel Mother/Border Collie Father) (20 pounds~) She was the last one to peek out from behind a litter of 8. And more recently I wanted an Australian Shepard, so I the dog I ultimately ended up with came from a working cattle farm where her litermates may or may not have been eaten by coyotes according to the rancher. She's a (Blue Heeler Mother)/Australian Shepard Father) was tiny when I got her and is now (38 pounds~). They are both super athletes and amazing fun. The first is 10 years old and she has never had a health problem and runs and jumps and sproinks like she's still a puppy. The other is just now 9 months old. You can find tiny dogs being born on farms in Kansas all the time I am sure if you look. They won't have papers or be purebred, but there are health advantages to that. I think your instinct to not pay 1k for a purebred is worth following.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, i also am actually against this purebreed, father fucking daughter or whatever these ppl do to "keep" the breed. I'd much rather have a mutt, which is why the labradoodle was also an option.

The kansas farms dog idea is cool, i think that'd be good to get a dog "i" would like, a man dog or some gsd, collie mutt, i don't give a fuck on breed really, i'm not a doggy racist (obviously i'm steering away from pits or like those big fucking monster dogs and shit).

But do they really just have small dogs just fucking on farms? Yea i think i'll do craigs list, never bought anything with em, i guess i would just travel to the farm and hope they don't redneck me, huh?