Planescape Torment Kickstarter: A spiritual sequel to be set in Monte Cook's Numenera

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I Kickstarted this, PoE, Wasteland 3, and all the Shadowruns but didn't touch any of them until multiple patches into release. No time to beta test these days.

Battletech will probably be the only game I really this rule for.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone playing or following this closely? Reading some of the comments on Steam, it seems like there are still some major issues and they are about a month out from release.

Rime

<Donor>
'You can complete the game without combat!' and 'Combat does not give experience' = huge turnoffs for me in a CRPG.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I agree, good (and meaningful) combat is kind of the whole point to the rpg character advancement that's core to these games. Without combat, what do you have, an interactive novel or something?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There was constant combat in FF8, though. You had to constantly battle your desire to play a different game!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
'You can complete the game without combat!' and 'Combat does not give experience' = huge turnoffs for me in a CRPG.

Considering the source (Planescape Torment) and how story heavy that was I see no real problem with the first statement. It's not that you have to finish without combat. You're just given the choice to play a talker.

As for the combat gives no exp, I don't see the big deal. I guess it would depend on how it rewards xp. I don't really care one way or the other about tying experience directly to combat,

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Combat giving no experience immediately makes me suspicious of how engaging the combat will be. How do you make compelling loot rewards if you never get to use them? I guess they could give you +1 to Cunnilingus jewelry...

Planescape Torment:Tides of Leisure Suit Larry

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Now it's been a very long time since I've played PS:T but as I recall there was fuck all loot to be had. The combat was never the compelling reason to play that game. It was 100% story and the environments you found yourself in.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Now it's been a very long time since I've played PS:T but as I recall there was fuck all loot to be had. The combat was never the compelling reason to play that game. It was 100% story and the environments you found yourself in.

No way bro.. Some of the loot in PS:T was amazing.. The lore they attached to the items was incredible as well.. I succinctly remember unlocking tiers on Dak'kons sword and watching the lore expand on the item itself.. PS:T had some of the coolest items/lore in any game imho..

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Lore sure. But I got the feeling he was looking more for teh awesome lootz rather than more story to be had from that loot. If I'm wrong I apologize.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
You could finish Planescape: Torment with minimal amounts of combat. I finished it many times including a run through with a full int/wis/cha character who talked his way through every encounter. I don't remember if you could actually avoid 100% of combat, but I don't think so. PS:T is one of the best (arguably THE best IMO) CRPG ever.. You could hack your way through everything if you wanted but in my opinion if that's what you want to do then games like BG/BG2 were better.

I don't remember if combat in PS:T gave you XP. Anyway I loved Planescape: Torment and I have high hopes for this one.. I kickstarted it but I'm not going to play it until it's ready.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You could finish Planescape: Torment with minimal amounts of combat. I finished it many times including a run through with a full int/wis/cha character who talked his way through every encounter. I don't remember if you could actually avoid 100% of combat, but I don't think so. PS:T is one of the best (arguably THE best IMO) CRPG ever.. You could hack your way through everything if you wanted but in my opinion if that's what you want to do then games like BG/BG2 were better.

I don't remember if combat in PS:T gave you XP. Anyway I loved Planescape: Torment and I have high hopes for this one.. I kickstarted it but I'm not going to play it until it's ready.

You did get XP, but it wasn't the primary method if I recall correctly. I remember grinding Glazebru's (sp?) in some sewer they respawned in so I could get the epic spells (the ones with the cutscenes)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My first playthrough of P:TS I didn't know you could rest. So, maybe no experience from combat won't be horrible?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I just don't think it should be pushed so far into one playstyle. Offering an option to go pure pacifist, stealth, or whatever is wonderful for those who choose that route. By removing all exp from combat though, it makes getting into combat the "wrong" option and arguably a huge waste of the players time. Both options should feel rewarding.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I think that totally depends on how they handle assigning exp. If you gain exp by completing a quest goal does it really diminish choosing to complete that goal via combat if you also had a way to talk your way to the same goal? Personally I don't think so.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you gain exp by completing a quest goal does it really diminish choosing to complete that goal via combat if you also had a way to talk your way to the same goal? Personally I don't think so.
It does if the combat way is 1.5 hours and the talking way is 10 minutes.

Rime

<Donor>
I guess I will give Pillars of Eternity another run while I wait for reviews of this to come down the pipe.

Has anyone played 'Tyranny'? I was considering picking that up as well.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It does if the combat way is 1.5 hours and the talking way is 10 minutes.

Only if you play with a Min/Max attitude. Who cares if you spent 1.5 hours in combat if that's your thing. Why should it bother you that someone else can do it in a 10 minute conversation. It's a single player game, you don't have to balance every playstyle like an MMO because you're not competing against anyone else.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone played 'Tyranny'? I was considering picking that up as well.
Tyranny feels unfinished but it's very good. I would highly recommend it, even though the obviously missing content and mechanics are a bit odd. I was enjoying the game a lot and then it abruptly ended.. feeling like a game is too short is a good sign IMO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user