Playstation 5

Malkav

French Madman
LOL, is there nothing Sony can't fuck up? They add 1440p support but can't manage to make it work with the VRR they just (finally) added in the previous update. The whole point of 1440p is to use it with a PC monitor which is pretty much guaranteed to support VRR, unlike the vast majority of TVs still.

Except the PS5 doesn't support GSync or Freesync and only has the VRR from the HDMI 2.1 specs anyway. I don't even think any HDMI 2.1 1440p monitor even exists.

Malkav

French Madman
Got my PS5 today.

Man, Sony really sucks at software.

WTF is going on with having HDR always on even on the dashboard? Every single console (including the PS4) or set top box in existence displays SDR by default and only enables HDR when playing HDR content.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Except the PS5 doesn't support GSync or Freesync and only has the VRR from the HDMI 2.1 specs anyway. I don't even think any HDMI 2.1 1440p monitor even exists.
Huh, they're even more retarded than I thought then.

And yeah, the always-on HDR thing is one of Sony's many other fuck ups all the way down at the system level.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Huh, they're even more retarded than I thought then.

And yeah, the always-on HDR thing is one of Sony's many other fuck ups all the way down at the system level.

What's the deal with always-on HDR? Why's it a bad thing? I don't know much about this stuff except that HDR is contrast and makes game look gud.

First TV I got with HDR was when I was midway through FFXV and I remember how blown away I was by how much better it looked.

Similarly, what's the benefit to the 1440p firmware update? I'm guessing PS5 "skips" that resolution normally, so people with 1440p PC monitors are stuck at 1080.

Malkav

French Madman
What's the deal with always-on HDR? Why's it a bad thing? I don't know much about this stuff except that HDR is contrast and makes game look gud.

First TV I got with HDR was when I was midway through FFXV and I remember how blown away I was by how much better it looked.

Similarly, what's the benefit to the 1440p firmware update? I'm guessing PS5 "skips" that resolution normally, so people with 1440p PC monitors are stuck at 1080.

Because you don't fucking need an HDR dashboard/UI. It forces your TV in HDR display mode, cranking LED brightness full blast. Every single other piece of hardware (PS4, Xbox, Bluray Players, set top boxes, smart TVs) displays SDR unless the played content is HDR, because the vast majority of content is SDR anyway.

It was even more retarded before they added the "HDR only for supported content", as it played SDR games in encapsulated HDR, forcing your TV in HDR mode when it's absolutely not needed.

Oh, and I tested media apps like Plex and Amazon Prime, they still play SDR content in encapsulated HDR. If you care about picture calibration, HDR and SDR are considered separate profiles on TVs, so you usually have different picture settings for each one. The PS5 is really the worst thing you could use as a media player.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those that are testing out the 1440 beta, how is it? My monitor will output a form of 1440 on PS5 if I disable vrr in the monitor, and it looks nice. Not sure if the firmware update would make any difference.

Vorph

Those that are testing out the 1440 beta, how is it? My monitor will output a form of 1440 on PS5 if I disable vrr in the monitor, and it looks nice. Not sure if the firmware update would make any difference.
Pretty sure that will depend on your monitor since tricking existing firmware just means you're sending a 4K signal that's going to be a case of how well the scaler in the display works vs. how good the native PS5 1440p output looks in beta firmware. Also worth noting is that only a handful of games actually support 1440p rendering, and everything else will just do basically the same as you're getting now (4K rendering downsampled to 1440p, just at the console level instead of by the display)... so don't expect any better or smoother fps in most titles especially when the VRR doesn't work.

I didn't bother grabbing a key as I'd have to move my PS5 to test it with a 1440p display currently only used by my XSS, and the whole thing sounds like it was so poorly implemented that it'd be a complete waste of time. Gamelists sound cool though, if I used my PS5 more (or, uhhhh, at all) I'd have grabbed a key just for that alone.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure that will depend on your monitor since tricking existing firmware just means you're sending a 4K signal that's going to be a case of how well the scaler in the display works vs. how good the native PS5 1440p output looks in beta firmware. Also worth noting is that only a handful of games actually support 1440p rendering, and everything else will just do basically the same as you're getting now (4K rendering downsampled to 1440p, just at the console level instead of by the display).

I didn't bother grabbing a key as I'd have to move my PS5 to test it with a 1440p display currently only used by my XSS, and the whole thing sounds like it was so poorly implemented that it'd be a complete waste of time.
Yea, same here. I'll just wait til Sony enables it. Also noticed how few games currently support that resolution and was disappointed.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Because you don't fucking need an HDR dashboard/UI. It forces your TV in HDR display mode, cranking LED brightness full blast. Every single other piece of hardware (PS4, Xbox, Bluray Players, set top boxes, smart TVs) displays SDR unless the played content is HDR, because the vast majority of content is SDR anyway.

It was even more retarded before they added the "HDR only for supported content", as it played SDR games in encapsulated HDR, forcing your TV in HDR mode when it's absolutely not needed.

Oh, and I tested media apps like Plex and Amazon Prime, they still play SDR content in encapsulated HDR. If you care about picture calibration, HDR and SDR are considered separate profiles on TVs, so you usually have different picture settings for each one. The PS5 is really the worst thing you could use as a media player.

I'm guessing dashboard/UI HDR is a source of burn-in?

My 2016 LG OLED C6 has some serious burn-in problems at this point and I think it's from UIs, given the pattern of the faded lines onscreen. Hopefully there's a way to fix it.

I'm trying not to leave anything stagnant onscreen with my new 2021 LG OLED C1 to avoid this happening again. The 2016 TV took 4-5 years before it started having burn lines. In 2011 I bought a short-lived Samsung plasma TV and was pretty hyped for it until I realized it was having burn-in on day one, mainly from things like HP meters that don't move. Ended up returning it and just getting a Samsung LED.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Picked up that PS plus subscription thing to save money on that cat game Stray, any other good games you'd recommend on PS Plus right meow?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Picked up that PS plus subscription thing to save money on that cat game Stray, any other good games you'd recommend on PS Plus right meow?
Depends on what you have already played, it is amazing for me as I haven't had a PS since 2. So I am catching up on all the last Gen games like god of war and bloodborn. I did see the Tony hawk remakes are coming next week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ps --4--
I have a 5TB USB drive that I want to use for movies, in mp4, on my ps4. I formatted it to exFAT and created a folder called movies, but nothing is visible on the ps4.

If I create a 20gb partition with fat32, it works.

Any tips to male the full 5tb available for movies? Not extended storage for apps, just usb storage

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ps --4--
I have a 5TB USB drive that I want to use for movies, in mp4, on my ps4. I formatted it to exFAT and created a folder called movies, but nothing is visible on the ps4.

If I create a 20gb partition with fat32, it works.

Any tips to male the full 5tb available for movies? Not extended storage for apps, just usb storage

Not sure what's going on there, as exFAT is supported and they have to be in a folder. Have you made sure you can play the movies in the fat32 partition? the PS4 only supports certain formats. You could try hooking up the drive to your network and see if the PS4 can see it through DLNA.

It might not be the answer you'd prefer, but it sounds like you could use a Plex server.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Not sure what's going on there, as exFAT is supported and they have to be in a folder. Have you made sure you can play the movies in the fat32 partition? the PS4 only supports certain formats. You could try hooking up the drive to your network and see if the PS4 can see it through DLNA.

It might not be the answer you'd prefer, but it sounds like you could use a Plex server.
I guess I had a folder within a folder when I did exFAT? Thats the only thing that was different, so I'll try that again. I'm just trying to avoid overly complicated stuff

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I guess I had a folder within a folder when I did exFAT? Thats the only thing that was different, so I'll try that again. I'm just trying to avoid overly complicated stuff

A plex server is pretty damn easy to set up. Put the drive on your network and get a device to run the server. The easiest, all in one solution, would be a shield TV pro, which would also replace the PS4 as your media player. Otherwise, a relatively low end PC/laptop with an Intel CPU (for quicksync) will do the job.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

A plex server is pretty damn easy to set up. Put the drive on your network and get a device to run the server. The easiest, all in one solution, would be a shield TV pro, which would also replace the PS4 as your media player. Otherwise, a relatively low end PC/laptop with an Intel CPU (for quicksync) will do the job.
Shield TV Pro is what I use, but $200 can be a hard sell for a lot of people who aren't seriously into collecting digital media.

The cheap alternative is to put a Plex server on your network and buy a Chromecast with Google TV to use as the client. Or install the Plex client onto your smart TV, since it can be installed to Roku, webOS, Tizen, etc. and every one of those is vastly superior to the Plex app on both PS4 and PS5 (Xbox is somewhat less shitty, but still inferior to smart TVs and Roku/CC/Fire sticks).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Shield TV Pro is what I use, but $200 can be a hard sell for a lot of people who aren't seriously into collecting digital media.

The cheap alternative is to put a Plex server on your network and buy a Chromecast with Google TV to use as the client. Or install the Plex client onto your smart TV, since it can be installed to Roku, webOS, Tizen, etc. and every one of those is vastly superior to the Plex app on both PS4 and PS5 (Xbox is somewhat less shitty, but still inferior to smart TVs and Roku/CC/Fire sticks).

Yep, at the very least he can try it out for free with a PC on the network acting as the server and the PS4 can be the client. That way he can see if it's even something he'd consider getting in to.

The Shield TV is great as a client though, as it supports almost every format, which makes things easy on the server. I don't bother even trying to play any shows on my PS5 because of it.