Playstation 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, at the very least he can try it out for free with a PC on the network acting as the server and the PS4 can be the client. That way he can see if it's even something he'd consider getting in to.

The Shield TV is great as a client though, as it supports almost every format, which makes things easy on the server. I don't bother even trying to play any shows on my PS5 because of it.
Yeah, being able to play everything I throw at it is exactly why I bought the Shield Pro. Nothing else can play all the Dolby Vision profiles without any issues (and the CCwGTV is the only other one I know of that can do any DV at all). It's pretty cool if you have a Geforce Now subscription too.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
+1 on the Shield TV Pro. Great all-in-one Plex Server/Client that can play anything I throw at it, including DV rips as mentioned by Vorph.

The only mind-boggling thing about it is that the hardware doesn't support HDR in Youtube somehow, but that's pretty niche.

spronk

FPS noob

if you have PS+ Premium i recently plat'd Mafia 1 DE and Mafia 2 DE and enjoyed both of them a lot. Mafia 2 had some FPS issues about 70% into the game but it didn't last very long. I had played them at release on PC years and years ago but it was a nice and simple short story without any bullshit.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Any tips or recommendations for upgrading ps5 storage? I'm feeling the effects of just having a 500gb drive that it came with.

What's the way to go here?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Any tips or recommendations for upgrading ps5 storage? I'm feeling the effects of just having a 500gb drive that it came with.

Grab the cheapest gen 4 m2 nvme stick that meets the min 5500 mb/s read speed imo. Probably needs a heat sink, and personally I’m good with the 1TB giving a total of 1.85 TB

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I see the disc version in stock now for the first time ever for 799euro bundled with Forbidden West. Not sure if I should click it home or wait a bit more. Would like a PS5 for God of War in November.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

I got the 1TB of this which I recall someone else mentioned in this thread, but there's other sizes:
This video from Sony itself is good for showing you how to switch it out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wonder when the 'premium' ps5 launches? At this point I'd rather wait than buy an extender.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
But why? They have an extra slot dedicated for expansion that can use a good variety of 3rd party retail drives and the process itself is incredibly simple.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
But why? They have an extra slot dedicated for expansion that can use a good variety of 3rd party retail drives and the process itself is incredibly simple.
There is usually a better chipset in the pro/premium, too. I've been using an external for the ps4 games since launch and just now am having ps5 only space conflicts.

2022 Holiday launch would be a better long-term plan and could flip our digital only box for a profit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

if you have PS+ Premium i recently plat'd Mafia 1 DE and Mafia 2 DE and enjoyed both of them a lot. Mafia 2 had some FPS issues about 70% into the game but it didn't last very long. I had played them at release on PC years and years ago but it was a nice and simple short story without any bullshit.

If I download the PS5 versions of Yakuza and THPS, can I bring over my saves and trophies from the PS4 versions?

I'm assuming I can upload the saves from the PS4 versions, then get the PS5 versions and download the saves. And trophies will probably auto-pop like they did with FF7R PS5.

spronk

FPS noob
a ps5 pro is at least 2-3 years away. at best this fall we'll see a God of War 2 PS5 bundle similar to the HFW bundle out right now, but you'll pay $50 extra (probably BF discounts)

the whole ps4->ps5 saves and trophies thing is huge YMMV. Some games support it, some don't at all. Some support reading cloud saves, some (older) require a bizarre manual run ps4 version, upload to a special cloud, import on ps5.

Most unfortunately don't auto pop trophies. Its very rare to find any that do full trophies. Dont remember if like a dragon does, I'm playing Lost Judgment (Judgment 2) and it does NOT although it does support save imports.

basically for every game you just have to google ps4 ps5 save and auto pop trophy and see what people say, its fucking awful

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If I download the PS5 versions of Yakuza and THPS, can I bring over my saves and trophies from the PS4 versions?

I'm assuming I can upload the saves from the PS4 versions, then get the PS5 versions and download the saves. And trophies will probably auto-pop like they did with FF7R PS5.
When they first announced that the PS5 version of Yakuza 7 was coming out several months after XB1/XSX/PS4 they specifically mentioned that saves weren't compatible. Don't think that ever changed.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, didn't seem to be any way to load my existing saves n' stuff on the PS5 versions of THPS and Yakuza. Oh well. Not a big deal, don't know if I'll play 'em more anyway. Only have a little bit left to do in Yakuza and I don't know if I'll ever actually beat the THPSes. Like halfway through those games I hit an impasse where I can't meet any of the goals anymore.

spronk

FPS noob
THPS definitely has a cloud import option somewhere on the main menu I've done it before, i keep thinking i'll plat the game on PS4 then import and replat on PS5 but end up playing for 5 mins and quitting

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have to sign up and then you get an email a day or two in advance of being able to purchase one from them directly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
nowadays whenever Sony puts up stock on the store its available for anyone for a few hours. They only just do it like once every 2-3 weeks. They are in stock at best buy randomly too, like once a week, you can use GPU Drops to see if any around you have it

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
You have to sign up and then you get an email a day or two in advance of being able to purchase one from them directly.

Also, if you're not signed up or not selected for a given drop, if they have stock leftovers they open the sales to everyone (and it goes quick). It's how I got mine. Didn't get an invitation, but some public stock went up like 30min after the window ended for people that got an invite.

• 1Like