Pokemans and how to catch them with your phone - friend codes in OP

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Are there any other decent tracking sites now that poke vision is dead..?

Bastards should fix the 3 step bug before shutting down poke vision. Bullshit.

There are several options listed in this thread depending on how you play the game and how serious you want to get.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...alternatives_to_pokevision_etc_here/?sort=top

As for a replacement to a website like Pokevision? No, not yet. Everything working at the moment is local only.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Follwing the nerf, I've been using some data sheets found on the web, and made my own "Top tiers" lists, based on CP/possible movesets.

Note that if you've got ultra-high IV and perfect moveset, you'd be probably one tier above; if sub-90% and bad moveset, you're probably one tier below.

Tier 1: Snorlax, Lapras, Dragonite, Vaporeon, Moltres, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Zapdos
Tier 2: Venusaur, Slowbro, Wigglytuff, Rhydon, Muk, Nidoqueen, Gyarados, Charizard
Tier 3: Victrebeel, Vileplume, Polywrath, Blastoise, Golem, Nidoking, Machamp, Clefable
Tier N: everything else

Feels good to you? I've got 2 spots for farming Evee and Exeggcute, but the rest is unreliable, so that covers my main fighters, then I'll probably fill the roster with some tier 2 (2 farmable spots each for Bulbasaurs and Slowpokes+Magikarp)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Chrysamere, how does smoke improve my chances at finding them pokemans?

and holy shit is that pokemon go subreddit full of poke mongos now.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Follwing the nerf, I've been using some data sheets found on the web, and made my own "Top tiers" lists, based on CP/possible movesets.

Note that if you've got ultra-high IV and perfect moveset, you'd be probably one tier above; if sub-90% and bad moveset, you're probably one tier below.

Tier 1: Snorlax, Lapras, Dragonite, Vaporeon, Moltres, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Zapdos
Tier 2: Venusaur, Slowbro, Wigglytuff, Rhydon, Muk, Nidoqueen, Gyarados, Charizard
Tier 3: Victrebeel, Vileplume, Polywrath, Blastoise, Golem, Nidoking, Machamp, Clefable
Tier N: everything else

Feels good to you? I've got 2 spots for farming Evee and Exeggcute, but the rest is unreliable, so that covers my main fighters, then I'll probably fill the roster with some tier 2 (2 farmable spots each for Bulbasaurs and Slowpokes+Magikarp)

Victreebell is a slightly better grass attacker than Venusaur and they're both terrible at defending. Chansey, Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Lickitung are all top tier gym defenders in addition to Snorlax since normal is only weak to fighting and fighting types are both way underpowered and very uncommon. I'd also put Raichu, Jolteon, Electabuzz, and Electrode all in Tier 2. Electric is underpowered like fighting is but they're still very good attackers against water types, and also make excellent gym defenders because there are no good ground types in gen 1.

I'd flat out remove Moltres and Zapdos from your list, and add Flareon to Tier 1. There's no sense in making all your good Eevees into Vaporeons, and Flareon is definitely better than Arcanine as an all purpose attacker. I'd bump Machamp to tier 2 since he's the only pokemon who rates better than Flareon as an attacker against normal types (I have Dragonite, the legendary birds, and Mew/Mewtwo filtered out of my list because they're wildly overpowered and distort the list), and maybe nudge Primeape into tier 3 since he's a suitable attacker if you don't have a Machamp.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

vGrade

Potato del Grande

and holy shit is that pokemon go subreddit full of poke mongos now.

Most of you will probably use smoke to comfortably catch Pokémon from your couch. However, in this way you will be able to catch a maximum of six pocket monsters in 30 minutes. If you don’t move, spawn through the smoke then only one Pokémon appears in every five minutes.

It is better to activate the smoke while you walk through the area. Once you're in motion, every 200 meters or every minute a Pokémon will appear on your map. Therefore, it is theoretically possible to catch 30 Pokémon in every 30

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Incense is basically XP; it pops one common pokemon (and rarely a random uncommon one) every 5mn or every 150-200m. Basically, that means 600 to 1500 xp.

You won't find good pokemon with incense, what you'll get is more dust/candies for your xp needs.

The servers were busy today, I just did a walk and wasted most of my incense; the distance tracking wasn't working. I started with a 5.0/5.0 egg, it didn't hatch, and I only got incense pokemon (you can spot them, they've got the pink smoke around them as well unlike the wild ones) every 5mn. Friend of mine had the same problem, but its egg decided to hatch just as we were back at the office.

There were 3 lures on the way, none of which had any pokemon spawned, so lures were also affected.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
^^ That would be why I'm not using any more of my freebie incense. Haven't used any lures yet because there's no good spot for a lure party in my town, and when I go to the next town over that does have a good spot for a lure party, I'm going there to restock on pokeballs so I couldn't really take advantage of lures anyway.

I actually wish 2k eggs were more common. Kind of annoying when your bag fills up with 5k eggs that you have to burn through and while there are some really good pulls from 5k eggs, there is a whole lot of crap too.Some of the 2k egg hatches are shit too, but it's not nearly as frustrating to get trash from a 2k egg as it is from a 5k egg, and 2k eggs actually have a higher ratio of usable pokemon than 5k eggs. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, hell even a Magikarp isn't a bad 2k pull because you get extra candy and it's likely to have solid IVs when you finally have enough candy for a Gyarados. Even getting a pidgey/weedle/caterpie from a 2k egg isn't that bad because they're the most efficient for batch leveling and hatching one is the equivalent of catching 3 without having to waste balls.

Speaking of balls, did anyone else notice that Niantic removed the xp bonus for nice/great/excellent throws? I figure it's already cost me at least 3k xp. They also changed distances and drastically changed curveballs, to the point that I wasted an assload of balls yesterday. Catching Pidgey/Weedle/Caterpie/Rattata has become a fucking nightmare because it's so hard to hit them with a curveball and they're so close now that it's also incredibly difficult to hit them accurately with a straight throw, which means they break out of even more balls now.

I'm pretty annoyed, but I'd be really pissed off if I was more invested in the game instead of it mostly just being a way to get me exercising.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
^^ That would be why I'm not using any more of my freebie incense. Haven't used any lures yet because there's no good spot for a lure party in my town, and when I go to the next town over that does have a good spot for a lure party, I'm going there to restock on pokeballs so I couldn't really take advantage of lures anyway.

I actually wish 2k eggs were more common. Kind of annoying when your bag fills up with 5k eggs that you have to burn through and while there are some really good pulls from 5k eggs, there is a whole lot of crap too.Some of the 2k egg hatches are shit too, but it's not nearly as frustrating to get trash from a 2k egg as it is from a 5k egg, and 2k eggs actually have a higher ratio of usable pokemon than 5k eggs. Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Jigglypuff, Clefairy, hell even a Magikarp isn't a bad 2k pull because you get extra candy and it's likely to have solid IVs when you finally have enough candy for a Gyarados. Even getting a pidgey/weedle/caterpie from a 2k egg isn't that bad because they're the most efficient for batch leveling and hatching one is the equivalent of catching 3 without having to waste balls.

Speaking of balls, did anyone else notice that Niantic removed the xp bonus for nice/great/excellent throws? I figure it's already cost me at least 3k xp. They also changed distances and drastically changed curveballs, to the point that I wasted an assload of balls yesterday. Catching Pidgey/Weedle/Caterpie/Rattata has become a fucking nightmare because it's so hard to hit them with a curveball and they're so close now that it's also incredibly difficult to hit them accurately with a straight throw, which means they break out of even more balls now.

I'm pretty annoyed, but I'd be really pissed off if I was more invested in the game instead of it mostly just being a way to get me exercising.

To catch close shit with a curveball, spin the ball before you throw it and then throw it horizontal out to the side. It will curve right back in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why haven't you used a lure?

My point is that normal people are often playing a different way to harecore gamers so the outrage doesn't apply to the majority.
Gavin probably doesn't even have a good lure spot near him, much less one that would be filled with a community bearing the cost of lures together.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I know, I've been practicing since the change and I had a pretty good run of captures this morning with minimal ball use. Just really annoying because I burned more pokeballs adjusting to the new throw system than I did learning the first one. If you spin the ball before you throw (which is how I always throw curves) the curve is like 3x as deep as it used to be. Wasted tons of balls learning the new throw angles.

Just now thought to check and see if they'd announced the winner. My submission made it to the video, it's the Shellder 40 seconds in.

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah I know, I've been practicing since the change and I had a pretty good run of captures this morning with minimal ball use. Just really annoying because I burned more pokeballs adjusting to the new throw system than I did learning the first one. If you spin the ball before you throw (which is how I always throw curves) the curve is like 3x as deep as it used to be. Wasted tons of balls learning the new throw angles.

Just now thought to check and see if they'd announced the winner. My submission made it to the video, it's the Shellder 40 seconds in.

I'm a little sad my one handed thumb-flick which used to get a curve ball by spinning the pokeball less than half of one rotation in the air doesn't count as a curveball anymore.

On the plus side, my grand champion spinballs that fly from one side of the screen to the other and donk them right on the nose are rightly getting credit where they weren't before.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Must have lost out on like 3k xp from not getting bonuses for great/excellent etc. Maybe it was just bad luck or maybe they changed something but I also had 3 different squirtles with cp under 80 escape from multiple razz berry/ultra ball/nice throw+, super annoying. Why are the damn starters so hard to catch?!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man, wtf did they do to this game? WTF? Shit is way harder to catch now, none of the scanners work? They actually want you to walk around and stumble on shit?

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Man, wtf did they do to this game? WTF? Shit is way harder to catch now, none of the scanners work? They actually want you to walk around and stumble on shit?

The scanner websites don't work anymore but the Pokemongo desktop app on github is still working fine. You can use it to push notifications to your phone to find specific pokemon as well

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Working fine in the sense that it scans 75% slower and tends to miss pokermans, but it's still better than nothing.