Pre-1970 movies you haven't watched but probably should.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've watched a lot of old movies in the past 4 years. Old movies you should definitely watch if you never have:

This is not a thread for Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, etc. Those are overrated.

And I know you weebs have all seen Roshomon and Seven Samurai so those aren't on here either. Same for The Great Escape, Doctor Strangelove, The Dirty Dozen, etc. If you haven't seen those movies, go fuck yourself.

Also fuck most westerns. Yes, there's some great westerns, but there's way too many mediocre ones and I never want to see another one unless it's great.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rabbit_Games

Blackwing Lair Raider
Original 12 Angry Men

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I've watched a lot of old movies in the past 4 years. Old movies you should definitely watch if you never have:

This is not a thread for Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, etc. Those are overrated.

And I know you weebs have all seen Roshomon and Seven Samurai so those aren't on here either. Same for The Great Escape, Doctor Strangelove, The Dirty Dozen, etc. If you haven't seen those movies, go fuck yourself.

Also fuck most westerns. Yes, there's some great westerns, but there's way too many mediocre ones and I never want to see another one unless it's great.
I really like The Big Sleep. But I'm a real sucker for detective noir.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is not a thread for Casablanca, ... Those are overrated.

nbc sports GIF

• 3Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That's a good one but TCM plays it like every week so I'm very over it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
One of my all time favorite Westerns and one of the most beautifully shot.

Watched this in film class. Great movie.

Could put a ton of Hitchcock stuff here but this is a favorite.

Also from film class. Good comedy.

Non Dollars Trilogy western. One of the best opening scenes in cinema.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Going earlier again: Charlie Chaplin movies.

Back in the day, VHS rentals, my mother saw that the local place had Charlie Chaplin movies.

She said she felt like she was putting us out by renting them, as she didn't think they'd appeal to teenagers. I can remember liking them a lot!

Groove

Trakanon Raider

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
At last, a thread in my wheelhouse. I grew up on old movies. My parents watched them all the time. Though many would be seen as corny by today's standards. like, Rebel Without A Cause is a fun movie, so is Blackboard Jungle, but they might be unwatchable today if you're seeing them for the first time. I always say that Grapes Of Wrath is one of the greatest movies of all time, but you might think is overrated. I feel like a lot of my picks would be considered that way due to their popularity. How about I recommend actors and you can start from there?

Start with Wallace Beery. Gives incredible performances in many of his roles, the original The Champ for example will break your heart by the end. You also want to find films that were made before The Hays Code was enacted. Those old films have a much more modern feel to them. Also if you haven't already, watch some of Buster Keaton old films. The General, Seven Brides, Steamboat Bill Jr or The Navigator.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>

I’m in the same boat, grew up on old movies. I used to love watching Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>

And who can forget the original movie Zorro

• 1Solidarity

kroenen

Regimen Morum

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Came to post 7th seal, but was done already- carry on

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

The only move you named that I've seen is dirty dozen. So fuck you right back, I guess.

Pre 1970 movies are tough for me. I'll add barbarella, Reefer Madness, and Birth of a Nation.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like