Pre-1970 movies you haven't watched but probably should.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You also want to find films that were made before The Hays Code was enacted. Those old films have a much more modern feel to them.
This is very true. It was a big eye-opener to realize that none of today's culture war is new, particularly vis-a-vis complexities of sex and gender and their associated roles, that these conflicts were was just suppressed for a long time due to blatant art censorship and enforced by media monopoly.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist if you are sick of westerns than this is the western for you. It's an anti western. It's also fantastic. Not quite pre 1970 but close.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Black and white movies are as watchable as silent movies.

I get that historically its interesting or something, like maybe for film students or that kind of thing. But to actually sit down and watch for fun? Who are you trying to impress?

(not all movies recommended in this thread are black and white. this post was not directed at any particular movie or post, but at the idea of watching black and white movies on purpose in 2024)

• 1Cringe
  • 1Picard
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>

I get that historically its interesting or something, like maybe for film students or that kind of thing. But to actually sit down and watch for fun? Who are you trying to impress?
There are some great black and white movies.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I'm sure there are some Charlie Chaplin fans who are gonna try to convince us silent film is the shit, too.
Just got to list a few black and white films I've seen that are good.

Casablanca
Maltese Falcon
12 Angry Men
Citizen Kane
Psycho
Sunset Boulevard
Grapes of Wrath
Nosferatu
Night of the Living Dead
Clerks
The Big Sleep
His Girl Friday
High Noon

• 4Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

(not all movies recommended in this thread are black and white. this post was not directed at any particular movie or post, but at the idea of watching black and white movies on purpose in 2024)
The Apartment is really good. It's a time capsule of the time and timeless at the same time.

Burns

I want to second North By Northwest, as it's one of my all time favorite movies (top 5).

Old movies that I could (and probably have) watch over 10 times:

Kurosawa is the most influential director prior to Spielberg (who lists him as an influence) and is more than just Samurai stuff, but Kagemusha is still my favorite by him (it's not an action movie, really). The Bad Sleep Well is his best contemporary setting movie (it may be hard to find, I have it on my HD but dunno how best to share it):​
Has anyone really not seen this? I feel like it's on the same level as Gone with Wind, but maybe not.​
Same as above, has anyone not seen this movie? Maybe the best in it's genre. (I guess this breaks the 1970 threshold too, oops):​

The Western Question:
I would also rate The Searchers as the best American western ever made, with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance coming in second.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The Longest Day (might be 60s)
Towering Inferno
The Andromeda Strain
A Bridge too Far
Raise the Titanic
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Uncommon valor (might be 80s)
Zulu
Zulu Dawn
The Swarm
Invasion of the body snatchers

There are just so many good movies from back then. I had a conversation with one of my best friends who works in Hollywood as a stuntman the other day, just talking about the state of the film industry. He's trying to get a independent film off the ground currently, has investors and stuff but obviously there's a lot of logistics that is now starting to realize is a real pain in the butt.

We talked about the fact that both of us have been going back and watching the older films, YouTube specifically has a ton of great classic movies for free and if you've got premium that's commercial free.

I've been watching all kinds of things that I never knew existed or just heard about, and they're simply wonderful.

Point of the conversation was that we both agreed that my quality of movies back then didn't have CGI, or massive budgets, and it really was about telling a good story, and a director getting the absolute best performance from quality actors.

You can tell there's just a night and day difference between big studio films now versus the stuff that was produced back then. It's not to say they're still not good movies out there, and definitely in the independent world, people are taking even smaller budgets and making quality films that are wonderful.

Closest so much good cinema but still exists, but unfortunately we're being fed ridiculous amounts of just pure garbage. Go out and watch the old stuff, because most of it is aged like fine wine.

... I approve of this thread Mist Mist ...👍🏻

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I want to second North By Northwest, as it's one of my all time favorite movies (top 5).

Old movies that I could (and probably have) watch over 10 times:

Kurosawa is the most influential director prior to Spielberg (who lists him as an influence) and is more than just Samurai stuff, but Kagemusha is still my favorite by him (it's not an action movie, really). The Bad Sleep Well is his best contemporary setting movie (it may be hard to find, I have it on my HD but dunno how best to share it):​
Has anyone really not seen this? I feel like it's on the same level as Gone with Wind, but maybe not.​
Same as above, has anyone not seen this movie? Maybe the best in it's genre. (I guess this breaks the 1970 threshold too, oops):​

The Western Question:
I would also rate The Searchers as the best American western ever made, with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance coming in second.
I think John Ford gets overlooked. I believe Kurosawa even lists him as one of his major influences.

You have great taste in Westerns though. I also love Liberty Valance.

• 3Like

Burns

I think John Ford gets overlooked. I believe Kurosawa even lists him as one of his major influences.

You have great taste in Westerns though. I also love Liberty Valance.
Probably, they are defiantly neck and neck for impactful movies. I'm not a huge movie geek in that way, but it seems that when people talk about Kurosawa they talk about the revolutionary things he did in film making more than just about any other director.

Also, for anyone put off by the obsession he sometimes gets from the weebs: His "action movies" get the most love because they appeal to the widest audience, but most of his movies are not as action focused as Seven Samurai, they are just a byproduct of the story.

Few more:

Second favorite Hitchcock movie:​
Comedy about the Rabbit before he went crazy and met Donny Darko:​
Another Comedy (from John Ford) for a change a pace:​

Last edited:
  • 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
I've watched almost nothing made before 1970, never really was into it but now that most new movies/TV are shit i'm slowly catching up. not sure I can still do black and white but i am catching up on random shit

Recently just watched The Sting for the first time, its 1973 so not quite this cutoff but absolutely loved it, Robert Redford and Paul Newman classic con man movie.

probably check out 12 Angry Men next, everyone always recommends it. Haven't watched any John Wayne or John Ford movies either, really like westerns so thats probably a good genre/group to catch up on over thanksgiving period.

Not sure it counts but there are some great 60s and 70s Kung Fu hong kong movies that are fun to watch too

wish streaming was a little more consolidated, I have my own plex i can download all these onto but man it'd be cool if there was a single streamer that had every old movie made before 1970 on it organized by genre.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I've watched almost nothing made before 1970, never really was into it but now that most new movies/TV are shit i'm slowly catching up. not sure I can still do black and white but i am catching up on random shit

Recently just watched The Sting for the first time, its 1973 so not quite this cutoff but absolutely loved it, Robert Redford and Paul Newman classic con man movie.

probably check out 12 Angry Men next, everyone always recommends it. Haven't watched any John Wayne or John Ford movies either, really like westerns so thats probably a good genre/group to catch up on over thanksgiving period.

Not sure it counts but there are some great 60s and 70s Kung Fu hong kong movies that are fun to watch too

wish streaming was a little more consolidated, I have my own plex i can download all these onto but man it'd be cool if there was a single streamer that had every old movie made before 1970 on it organized by genre.
Slapshot is funny as fuck too. For kurosawa no samurai. Try Ikiru

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Mist got a little rambunctious with the date. I think you can find wonderful movies before the birth of the Blockbuster, which is either 1975 or 1977. The blaxpoitation era also had some great movies. Even if you don't like black people.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist got a little rambunctious with the date. I think you can find wonderful movies before the birth of the Blockbuster, which is either 1975 or 1977. The blaxpoitation era also had some great movies. Even if you don't like black people.
70's movies are totally different. Tonally, stylistically, even the people themselves changed. That's why I cut it off at 1970.

Also, blockbusters were a thing in the era I mentioned. If Ben-Hur wasn't a blockbuster, what was?

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
This is considered the last of the counter culture movies so it fits this requirement even though it's 1971.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
70's movies are totally different. Tonally, stylistically, even the people themselves changed. That's why I cut it off at 1970.

Also, blockbusters were a thing in the era I mentioned. If Ben-Hur wasn't a blockbuster, what was?
I'm not sure why that is, but Jaws 1975 is considered the first blockbuster film. Gone With The Wind isn't considered either. And you have some overlap from the 60s style to the 70s style and even vice versa. Good bad and Ugly I always thought was a 70s movie.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I cheated a little and looked at some movie dates. Listing just those I remember seeing and liking. More or less in order from 1 to whatever

Mr Smith goes to Washington. This is the movie that radicalized me.
Yojimbo because it has the most realistic sword fighting I've ever seen in a movie.
2001 a space oddysey. I'm honestly shocked this was done in 1968.
Can we just say any or all of the sean connery bond movies? I haven't seen them all but I don't' remember which ones I've seen.
The great Race / Chitty Chitty bang bang. Basically the same as the great race, but for kids. This concept has been rehashed a number of times and I liked them all.
The Birds. This movie might be why i hate birds today. Fuck those fucking CIA drones.
Pink Panther
Around the world in 80 days. Another concept that's been rehashed many times and I think I've liked them all.
Bridge on the river kwai. Watched this for the first time on history class and never could follow it. Watched it again a few years ago and it made more sense.

The Prisoner. This is a series, and that's the only reason I didn't put it at the top. But it's only 17 episodes so if you're looking for something to binge, try this.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

I think it was the one I was in maybe first or second grade, I used to just listen to various cassette tapes that my parents had, and one of them was The Sting soundtrack. If I had to guess it was probably something my mom had because we had piano and she used to play.

Reminds me another film with great music was Dr Zhivago, and I think that's in the same time period of movie productions.

My sister and I used to sit and play board games or whatever, and have that damn tape playing all the time on our little boombox. The score itself is legendary, and I didn't actually see the film until maybe about 10 years ago or something, and it's wonderful.

Movies were just better back in the day.