Pre-1970 movies you haven't watched but probably should.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Post elsewhere , but the wife loves the 2003 remake of the Italian Job. We watched it recently then watched the 1969 original. They do bad unspeakable things to a beautiful Lamborghini but it's a really good movie.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, those are good, almost made my original list.

I'm specifically looking to list movies that weren't simply good for their time, but are just good, timeless movies.

Oh I forgot to mention:

the 1960 version, the original, is a short movie filled with a gazillion laughs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kroenen

Regimen Morum

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Midnight Cowboy is very clearly a 70s movie that came out in 1969.

• 1Like

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Midnight Cowboy is very clearly a 70s movie that came out in 1969.
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

• 1Worf

Burns

Spencer Tracy favorites:

Comedy with a bunch of well known comics of the day:​
Historical court room drama about the Stokes Money Trial:​
Social commentary on race relations in 60s (outside of the South):​

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
70's movies are totally different. Tonally, stylistically, even the people themselves changed. That's why I cut it off at 1970.

Also, blockbusters were a thing in the era I mentioned. If Ben-Hur wasn't a blockbuster, what was?
I totally agree with you on 70s movies being different. I tend to think in general they are more cynical.

The first Blockbuster is widely believed to be Jaws in 1975.

Burns

If you are watching stuff on the TCM rotation, I would certainly keep an eye out for anything by Hitchcock. As others have also stated, it's hard to go wrong with his work. When I've looked at TCM, they almost always have at least one of his movies up at any given time. Even his comedy was ahead of it's time (although I would still rate it somewhere in the middle for his work):

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

little off topic, but if you really like 12 angry men, the original live broadcast is on youtube, this restored version is pretty watchable, the raw copy isn't

=
one of my all time favorites

even though maybe 2 people have ever gotten it (one being my dad), i will use "bottom land" when trying to get something better.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Tons of great pre-70s foreign movies. Seijun Suzuki made some bangers in Japan.
Hammer horror movies were great in the UK.
Michael Powell movies are fantastic
Other sperg stream of classic older movies

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Back in high school, I had a girlfriend that was all about Gone With the Wind. She wanted to watch it all the time, and I did watch it once with her. Very boring movie for my high school mind.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Watched this in film class. Great movie.

I'm a fan.

20240929_172411.jpg

• 1Popcorn
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I totally agree with you on 70s movies being different. I tend to think in general they are more cynical.

The first Blockbuster is widely believed to be Jaws in 1975.
The entire concept of summer blockbusters started with Jaws. It didn't really exist before then. Obviously there were massive hits, but the commercial exploitation of a movie into the zeitgeist wasn't really a thing before then.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Post elsewhere , but the wife loves the 2003 remake of the Italian Job. We watched it recently then watched the 1969 original. They do bad unspeakable things to a beautiful Lamborghini but it's a really good movie.

Hmm any insight into why my link doesn't look like the others?