Pregnancy Thread

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good luck! My wife was freaking out about the crampy while we were waiting. Even had a small amount of bleeding but it was pretty obvious it was implantation bleeding. After 4 years of trying I couldn't blame her for thinking the worst though. Even after a positive test I bet the "bonkers" won't go away. It finally got better for us after we got past the 1st trimester.

We have our anatomy scan on Wednesday for ours. I hope the baby cooperates as I don't want to have to pay for additional ultra-sounds to find out.
Just get the blood test, checks for chromosomal anomalies and as side benefit you can find out the sex at 10 weeks.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It is my understanding that the blood test has a greater chance of causing a spontaneous miscarriage than it does of finding anything (1/500 chance of there being an anomaly vs a 1/200 chance of causing miscarriage). Even if it did find something, unless it was a very extreme circumstance it wouldn't change anything with us in regards to our pregnancy.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is my understanding that the blood test has a greater chance of causing a spontaneous miscarriage than it does of finding anything (1/500 chance of there being an anomaly vs a 1/200 chance of causing miscarriage). Even if it did find something, unless it was a very extreme circumstance it wouldn't change anything with us in regards to our pregnancy.
Blood test is drawn from the arm, not sure how that would cause a miscarriage. We just did it so if anything was off we could be prepared early, but mostly just to find out the gender sooner. (Finding out next week)

No - you're thinking of an amniocentesis. Ishad is referring to a simple blood (as in from the arm) draw. They draw a shitton of blood over the course of a pregnancy anyways, one more tiny vial won't matter. some insurance cover it (its called Maternity21 typically because it looks for trisomies, the most famous obviously is downs) but a lot consider it 'experimental' and won't. in those cases typically the Maternity21 folks will just charge you 250 bucks if you have to pay out of pocket. It will also tell you whether there is a y chromosome in there and therefore the sex of the baby.

I wanted to get it to rule out DS, T18, T15 etc (not to find out the sex - we wait til delivery) with the first baby but our 13 week NT scan came back with such great odds that we decided not to do it. Now that I'll be basically 1.5 years away from 35 this time around (at best), and knowing someone who gave birth to a surprise downs baby (literally the 1 in 10,000 that the odds mention), I think we will get it this time around but then instruct the doctors not to tell us the sex.

Its also the only way to 100% (well 99.9999% or whatever) know. I also know a woman who was told unequivocally she was having a girl (based on ultrasounds - she didn't have the Maternity21 test done). Pink nursery, name picked out etc. Delivery date comes - surprise boy. She had MULTIPLE ultrasounds for various reasons - all the techs were wrong.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, that is the first I am hearing of that type of testing. As far as finding out the sex, a 3d ultrasound is only $90 so if the baby doesn't cooperate tomorrow we will probably go that route.

woot! post NUMBERZZZZZ
biggrin.png

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have no idea what that is supposed to even mean. Anyways, it is a girl, I'm going to start buying pink shit.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Ugh the wife decided to take a home pregnancy test at 3 in the damn morning and it came back negative. There went any hope I had for getting a decent amount of sleep before an early morning shift. She just left now (bout an hour drive to the lab she's going to today near her work) to get the blood work done for the blood test.

Peeing on sticks is really hard not to do. I did it until like 8 weeks. And with no history of IF or loss.

Update us today - will be thinking of you. I know its uber hard not to worry. (Have they done a karyotyping screen on her? For like any MTHFR mutations? I'm not saying its bad - though most HPT's detect aroung 50 HcG or higher and if her levels are hovering in the 50's still then your doubling times are off - I am hoping its just that the test was a bad batch.)

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Not looking terribly good after todays results. Her levels are sitting at a 61 which is obviously very low at this point. I guess it's not unheard of to still develop a pregnancy but odds are this wasn't the round for it to happen. She's having another blood test done Sunay.

Not looking terribly good after todays results. Her levels are sitting at a 61 which is obviously very low at this point. I guess it's not unheard of to still develop a pregnancy but odds are this wasn't the round for it to happen. She's having another blood test done Sunay.
Really sorry dude.
frown.png

lindz

#DDs
That is always heartbreaking and even more so in your guys' situation. So sorry.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well something F'd up is definitely going on. Beta went up to 67. Possibly an ectopic pregnancy. Probably going to have an ultrasound in a couple days. On top of this we just found out my brother has a growth on his pancreas. Do not know what it is just yet. Just that it is there. I hope to God, Allah, Xenu, or whatever God that will listen that it's just a cyst.