Pregnancy Thread

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My wife is taking zantac for the heartburn. Doctor said she could take it twice a day. Other than that she tried to avoid foods that gave her heartburn, like chocolate or citrus. It could also be the prenatal vitamins. My wife switched 3 different brands. First it was the gummy ones, she couldn't handle the taste of those. Then she had some big pill that had dha in it. That gave her aweful heartburn. Now she is using target brand prenatal and a separate dha and that seems to be fine

iannis

Musty Nester
Antacids are fine and all that, and might help a little bit. Prenatal vitamins... well, obviously do what your gyno says rather than random dudes on the internet but the truth is that nutrition is probably not a going concern for your wife.

As you are no doubt aware the problem is entirely physical -- it's a simple matter of volume. You're trying to pack 110 lbs of shit into a 100 lb bag... and as that baby expands it's pushing on her guts and making her urpy. The only real cure for that is to wear a condom.

Or just wait. She'll adjust. The disruption will move from her stomach down to her bladder before long.

Edit: If it really is bad on her, some women do get it bad, soft foods easy foods. Strawberry Ensure is actually pretty decent. Broths. A lot of winter foods. But I mean that's obvious and you know at least that much! I have the feeling you're looking for a life-hack. I don't think there is any particular one. Although women WILL trade "well, this is what I used to do and it helped" stories. The good news is that the morning sickness phase shouldn't last very long. The body does adjust.

My wife is taking zantac for the heartburn. Doctor said she could take it twice a day. Other than that she tried to avoid foods that gave her heartburn, like chocolate or citrus. It could also be the prenatal vitamins. My wife switched 3 different brands. First it was the gummy ones, she couldn't handle the taste of those. Then she had some big pill that had dha in it. That gave her aweful heartburn. Now she is using target brand prenatal and a separate dha and that seems to be fine
First tri I was able to get through with just chewing on a shit load of tums (which often times came back up). During second tri I upped to pepcid (once I stopped throwing up the heartburn REALLY started), then eventually zantac....

Two weeks into the third trimester my reflux was so bad the night drooling was just straight up stomach acids. In the entire 2 hours of sleep a night that I got because of the heartburn from literally everything that is. It was so bad. (My kid carried really high and had himself wedged into my ribcage til the day he delivered).

It didn't matter what I ate. They put me on nexium and it was the best fucking shit ever. And I don't like pills. I will avoid it at almost all costs (I refused anything but ibuprofen and alleve in the hospital after I gave birth). This was totally worth it. I could stop about 2 weeks post partum but my system hasn't been the same since on the reflux. I wake up on a non infrequent basis choking on my stomach acids in the middle of the night still.

I'm trying to decide what was worse. Morning sickness, the heartburn, tearing, hemmies, or night sweats. Probably heartburn, hemmies, night sweats, morning sickness, then tearing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While I'd never wish a preemie on anyone, now that we know that our kid is 100% fine, I can say stuff like I'm almost glad my wife didn't have to endure those last 2 1/2 months of pregnancy, nor the tore up vagina(C-section). That last trimester can be a bitch, she only had to endure 2 weeks of it
smile.png

heh yeah no one ever tells you about some of the stuff during pregnancy (ie drooling in your sleep ew wth)....and no one tells you at all about the postpartum stuff. The nightsweats were fucking awful. Stayed for about 4-6 weeks. I guess its from all the hormones leaving your body?

Apparently they can come back once you start weaning. I've been lucky - none so far but we've done a really slow/natural taper.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No one ever mentions that men can (and do) get postpartum depression as well. It's always fun to learn these things as you along.

iannis

Musty Nester
NO YOU DON'T.

You can get depressed after the baby is born, that's fine. No one is going to argue that. Stress, lack of sleep, just straight physical exhaustion, even philosophical confusion. Every check mark that exists for depression hits after a baby is born.

But that is not postpartum depression.

I think it hinges on the definition of 'postpartum'. If you're using it in a clinical sense a man cannot ever be pregnant. So he cannot be postpartum. Ergo he cannot have postpartum depression. I haven't a clue as to whether postpartum depression is hormonally linked or not - again if it is then a man can't have postpartum depression. Much like a man can't have PMS.

But men can be moody as shit, there is legitimacy to sympathy pain claims, and men can very much go through depression once the baby is here and if I read that study correctly there's averyhigh correlation rate with women experiencing PPD at the same time their partners do - so you have to look at root cause. Being around someone who is depressed very much can trigger depression with all sorts of other environmental factors going on. So if she has PPD then her root cause is the hormones/actual state of being post partum, whereas the man's root cause can be dealing with a new baby and a wife with PPD - but it isn't PPD.

But I don't know enough about PPD to know whether the root cause is hormonal or not so I can't say one way or the other whether a man can have PPD - it just seems more logical that it would be depression caused by surrounding circumstances since PPD is something that is to my knowledge extremely clinical and is actually just shorthand for a whole lot of PP spectrum issues. I had PPA for example.

All that being said whether its PPD or 'regular' (and I dont mean anything less severe when I say regular) depression, both are serious conditions that can present during those first months (all the way out to 6 months, a year) in both men and women and while they've done a decent job at bringing PPD into focus over the past decade or so with screening and awareness campaigns, and they've done a good job at getting rid of some stigma, I do think there's a deficit of attention paid to fathers in the same time period, and we've got a ways to go on women still too (see further PPA - many aren't even aware that this can happen).

iannis

Musty Nester
Postpartum depression is specifically hormonally linked to pregnancy. At best, claiming that men can have postpartum depression is a semantic game. At the VERY most there may be an incidence of sympathetic depression. Again, while that may be an interesting (and probably wildly overstated) effect I'm perfectly willing to believe that it does exist. Our bodies can, and do, effect each other in subtle and completely unexpected ways. That's very interesting. What that is not is postpartum depression. BY FUCKING DEFINITION.

It's just new age horseshit that some doctor is selling to dads who are sad they can't lactate. I guess, "Yeah. You're depressed. It's not that surprising" just isn't special enough.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

No one is saying that it's impossible for a father to become depressed after childbirth. But it is NOT called postpartum depression. And just because the JAMA published an article which calls it that doesn't make it so.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Actually, PPD is NOT (only) hormonally caused. You can have PPD without a hormonal cause. As such, women and men can meet the exact same diagnosis requirements, for the same reasons.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I read an article a while back about hormonal changes in men during their wife's pregnancy. I don't see why male ppd would be out of the question.

I read an article a while back about hormonal changes in men during their wife's pregnancy. I don't see why male ppd would be out of the question.
Yeah I mean frankly I just don't have enough information to rule it out. Logically it makes no sense to me because a man can't be postpartum but I'd need more than just one random JAMA study wherein there was an extremely high correlation between the woman having PPD and the man also having PPD. If you showed me a study where like 60% of the men who had it were with partners who didn't have PPD I'd be more inclined to believe it wasn't just associative.

I dunno. I can ask my pediatrician when I go to my kids 12 month appointment in a few weeks/a month. The pediatricians these days are the frontline PPD screeners (again though - they only screen the women so I'm guessing her answer will be no).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I was depressed I couldn't play as many video games as I used to after becoming a dad. I call that postnerd depression.