Pregnancy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cool, thanks.

I did a quick look and found this article:
Can the Shettles Method Help You Choose a Girl or Boy?

The first link I found was:
Characteristics of natural conceptual c... [Int J Fertil. 1992 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

which states:
article_sl said:
The birth sex ratio favored males when intercourse preceded ovulation/fertilization by two days or longer. While this association was statistically significant, the number of pregnancies involved is too small to conclude that the relationship is real
That was a little tangential though, since I was talking about genetic predisposition. I did find this link:
Trends in Population Sex Ratios May be Explained by Changes in the Frequencies of Polymorphic Alleles of a Sex Ratio Gene - Springer

which states:
article_sl said:
A test for heritability of the sex ratio in human genealogical data is reported here, with the finding that there is significant heritability of the parental sex ratio by male, but not female offspring
Like I said I never looked into that. We were more focused on getting pregnant than what gender the baby was.

This is all you need to know:

In 1995, the New England Journal of Medicine researchers proclaimed that, "the timing of sexual intercourse in relation to ovulation has no bearing on the sex of the baby." There are also studies found in The International Journal of Fertility and the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

At any rate Shettles wouldn't have even been dispositive in your case were it true/wasn't bs - my guess is that your wife wasn't monitoring BBT and neither were most of the family members so there's no way to tell ovulation as it relates to when all of those girls were actually conceived. Temping is the only way to confirm when ovulation actually occurred (past tense - you can't confirm when you are 'going' to ovulate - you can only do things to predict when its highly likely you will ovulate - monitoring cervical position, LH test strips, cervical mucous etc).

As an example when I was talking about how my cycles were fucked up due to breast feeding - they were 40 - 60 days long. Most doctors compute due date from LMP (first day of last menstrual period) because most women don't know exactly when they ovulated (again most women aren't temping) so they go with 'an average' which is around cycle day 13-16. And then sometimes the baby will 'measure ahead' or 'behind' in the first tri and its not because the baby is 'big' or 'small' (fetal development in first tri is actually extremely standard - that's why they can do the NT Scan at 11-13 weeks with any reasonable expectation of predictive outcome) - its because mom ovulated a little early or a little late. If its off by greater than a week as it relates to the ultrasound they will typically shift the expected due date, anything less than that they will leave it based on the LMP.

In my case, because I knew my cycles were long going into trying to conceive, I didn't want them to calculate my due date based on LMP in the event I did get pregnant. So I temped and charted and at my appointment a few weeks ago walked in with my chart that showed ovulation on cycle day 30. Low and behold at the ultrasound last wed the estimated due date was within 2 days of when I said it was - if they had gone by LMP I would have been over 2 weeks 'farther along'.

If you're temping you also can start testing earlier with some sort of reasonable assurance as to when you should be able to turn a pee stick positive. My first positive was 9 days post ovulation (so 5 days 'early' in the '2 week wait'). The other benefit to temping/knowing when you ovulated is that you know if there's a problem. In addition to having long cycles due to breast feeding, my luteal phase was really short (<10 days) - which is a problem. Typically the embryo needs a minimum of 10 days to be able to implant and begin to grow/continue to have the progesterone rise needed to accompany sustaining a pregnancy. My luteal phase my first postpartum cycle (at 7 months postpartum) was 7 days. The next was 9. So I started on a B6 supplement which helps and was on that for about 2 months before trying to conceive. It apparently worked. I also implanted at the way early end of the possible timeframe for implantation post ovulation - around 6 days - it is typically 6 to 10 days post ovulation. (I know this again because of temping). So I am sure early implantation did play a role.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm temping...

Why Temping is Good for Your Career | Fox Business

We actually predicted ovulation in four different ways: measuring her temperature, using pee sticks, using the microscope thing and examining mucus. We did this for a year and didn't notice any signs, the month we conceived we just gave up trying to measure ovulation and just porked a lot.

yeah I mean I've said it before - with PERFECT timing it can take a healthy couple up to a year to conceive. There's women I know that have been temping/charting/using fertility monitors for 8-9 months hitting every single day in the fertility window with no luck.

Given all that you were doing (which is a lot more than the overwhelming majority of the population) I'm still a little shocked that you are like "well I don't know stuff" - this is pretty advanced for the majority of the population if you were doing it religiously.

I never did the ferning/saliva/microscope thing (or the cervical position checks).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I found that book to be pedantic and shallow. Basically a waste of money.

Dad Is Fat - Kindle edition by Jim Gaffigan. Humor Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This book would be a better read and while it won't tell you how to parent but it will give you funny and interesting insights on what a parent goes through.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Too much worrying and checking gauges and dials while trying to get pregnant is ITSELF a hindrance to getting pregnant. We went through that for 2 years, said fuck this shit, we can't keep doing it, and bam, preggers.

Too much worrying and checking gauges and dials while trying to get pregnant is ITSELF a hindrance to getting pregnant. We went through that for 2 years, said fuck this shit, we can't keep doing it, and bam, preggers.
Had the opposite experience. Did all the things, knocked up first cycle both times. Stress has to be pretty extreme to impact fertility - like as in you're in a warzone/refugee extreme.

Those people above I mentioned who were doing all the things 8-9 months were not trying but not preventing (casually trying) for six months to a year before they started 'checking gauges'.

Your odds, every single cycle, of having successful fertilization, implantation, and development into a babywith perfect timingis <20%. It varies a bit based on maternal age but that's the general rule of thumb. Getting pregnant is actually pretty hard. I have all the feels for IF'ers.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
All 3 of ours we got pregnant on the third cycle after we started trying.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Had the opposite experience. Did all the things, knocked up first cycle both times. Stress has to be pretty extreme to impact fertility - like as in you're in a warzone/refugee extreme.

Those people above I mentioned who were doing all the things 8-9 months were not trying but not preventing (casually trying) for six months to a year before they started 'checking gauges'.

Your odds, every single cycle, of having successful fertilization, implantation, and development into a babywith perfect timingis <20%. It varies a bit based on maternal age but that's the general rule of thumb. Getting pregnant is actually pretty hard. I have all the feels for IF'ers.
100% on first cycle every time for us, would love to see some science on your 20% number.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My mom always punked my dad by saying he had to wait until after he finished a difficult semester of college before they were able to conceive me.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hell before I was fixed, if I sneezed on my wife unprotected, she got pregnant. If that figure is even remotely true color me shocked. When we had our second child, she got off the BC just the month before (first cycle).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hell before I was fixed, if I sneezed on my wife unprotected, she got pregnant. If that figure is even remotely true color me shocked. When we had our second child, she got off the BC just the month before (first cycle).
I was actually looking forward to maybe 3-6 months of trying to get pregnant once my wife went off of birth control. Nope, was knocked up within the month. Damn

Says its extremely variant. Your whole "knowing shit and checking gauges" thing isn't really the type of stress that impacts it. The studies do say it has to be extreme - the example I gave was hyperbole but normal healthy amounts of stress won't do anything is my point. If you're like extremely wound up about it (and thus much beyond 'checking gauges') then yes, extreme stress can have impact. Checking gauges=not extreme stress. Worry=not extreme stress.

Do you pregnant? The whole "just stop worrying and it will happen" is a whole lot of bullshit. As someone with lots of friends who have had IF issues (including MFI - as in the problem is you all with the penises), hearing people say shit like this is extremely heartbreaking and just plain untrue the overwhelming majority of the time. Very insensitive.