Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

My sarcasm sign may not have actually been visible in the last post, so, here we go again, with less assumption of intelligence this time:

I am not the only one who orchestrated that merger. But yes, it sucked, and I feel bad for my part in it. Rift was standard guild drama for us and while it may have sucked for me and a few others, it worked out fine in the end for most.
I know you were being sarcastic. However, I was being serious(except for the part about you blundering). The merger was 80% my decision. I just stuck you with the bill.

Anyway, I figured that enough time passed that we could speak about it openly.

Noahx

N00b
Finally took the plunge... its pretty close to classic. The danger, death, and starvation for pp etc makes for interesting times.

Pothe is the name... Enchanter. Rough going in the beginning.

Kaljin

N00b
Finally took the plunge... its pretty close to classic. The danger, death, and starvation for pp etc makes for interesting times.

Pothe is the name... Enchanter. Rough going in the beginning.
I'm going for it too, just waiting on my emu login etc stuff? Said my account may not have sufficient privileges, I'm guessing because I created it today.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm going for it too, just waiting on my emu login etc stuff? Said my account may not have sufficient privileges, I'm guessing because I created it today.
Going to do a little PSA here for all you guys giving it a go on the P99 blue server. I'm going to stick just to the things I observed in my most recent go at it.

The server stability, code, DB, etc. are all solid. The experience is very similar to the original experience at the Kunark expansion in that regard. However:

The economy is super inflated. Everything costs way more than it should because plat is abundant and items are hard to come by. The reason items are hard to come by is because everything is camped 24/7. Seriously, virtually every significant camp is permacamped. The server has been around for so long that people have numerous alts parked around the world specifically for locking down certain camps. You will likely never get to camp the AC or the FBSS or any other key items because they are NEVER free. You could BUY the Jboots MQ or an FBSS, but expect them to cost way beyond what any legit fresh character on the server could pay. What is worse, people have locked down several of the better experience spots and even sell access to those experience spots for plat.

These things completely demotivated me to play on blue and I wish I had known them before I invested the time to level the characters as far as I did before I realized how fucked the server was. Again, these are my person observations. You may have a different experience or not care about these things, but like I said, I wish somebody would have given me the heads up.

P99 red is a much cleaner server. Not nearly as crowded and the economy is actually really healthy. Red has its own "problems" I suppose, but so far I have found them much easier to deal with than blue's problems.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Just farm goblin gazughi rings in LOIO for plat in your early 20s. They sell for between 6-9kpp. It's an easy but long camp, and there are like 4 spawn points on a 30 second timer. If you go there around 18 and stay until 24 or so I'm sure you'll walk out with one, and be well on your way to a nice little pile of plat. Or just level way past the xp range of the area and burninate on a high level character.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FBSS and AC aren't totally locked down. you might have to sit there and stare at the screen for several hours waiting for whoever is currently at the camp to leave. but that's not that different than classic.

now, the raid scene.... ugh.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
G The reason items are hard to come by is because everything is camped 24/7. Seriously, virtually every significant camp is permacamped. The server has been around for so long that people have numerous alts parked around the world specifically for locking down certain camps.

These things completely demotivated me to play on blue and I wish I had known them before I invested the time to level the characters as far as I did before I realized how fucked the server was. Again, these are my person observations. You may have a different experience or not care about these things, but like I said, I wish somebody would have given me the heads up.

P99 red is a much cleaner server. Not nearly as crowded and the economy is actually really healthy. Red has its own "problems" I suppose, but so far I have found them much easier to deal with than blue's problems.
You're being overly negative here in my opinion. The only camp that people are selling xp spots for is Chardok AE and people looking to start up on aren't going to care about that. Yes the server is old and the economy is inflated but people give items away to newbies all the time and there are a ton of low level players levelling up at the moment selling lowbie items for cheap. Jboots and FBSS are almost constantly camped but I don't remember it being any other way on a busy server on live - you can get your shot if you are willing to wait. On the topic of Jboots AC spawn has recently changed so it can spawn pretty much anywhere in SRO - yes the MQ price has been pushed up but nobody can camp it now.

Fair enough about the raid scene - but an old server is going to have over crowding.

I played on red a couple of months ago and unless the population has drastically changed even basic things like getting ports, JC, levelling a melee of finding groups is a massive pain in the ass.

Edited to add: And p99 is certainly the closest classic EQ and is a ton of fun, even with the negatives.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I came back in August/September and played for a month, AC in SRO was never camped... but I didn't know they changed the spawn.

"Everything significant camp is permacamped" is certainly not true. If you only play during primetime, maybe. But during the day it was quite common for Sebilis to be empty and KC to have like 7 people.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I came back in August/September and played for a month, AC in SRO was never camped... but I didn't know they changed the spawn.

"Everything significant camp is permacamped" is certainly not true. If you only play during primetime, maybe. But during the day it was quite common for Sebilis to be empty and KC to have like 7 people.
I can only play prime time (unfortunately) and in my experience BOTH ACs, the FBSS, etc, were always camped and there was a line waiting for the next spot.

I probably am being overly negative. I admit it. For me, live could be bad, but it was never quite like this, even on crowded servers (but I quit in 2004 so I can't speak to after that).

In live people camped what they needed and moved on because (generally), there was always a state of progession. Unless you were in a bleeding edge guild you were probably working your way closer to the end game most of the time. *One* of the problems with this server having been suspended in Kunark area for so long is that "flow" of progression has slowed to a crawl and there are tons of people with nothing to do but camp stuff for alts and plat. This is just the 1-60 game- like someone said, end game is even worse.

Again, this is just my experience. Take it or leave it as you will. But it was enough to make me move to red until they open a new blue (if ever).

As far as red goes, yes, ports, JC, and exp groups are a little harder to find, but they are absolutely there (and MUCH more reasonably priced). And I do believe the server pop has risen a bit in the last few months.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, its sad, but the biggest reason to play on red is that blue is so bloated. it just sucks dealing with all the sociopaths on red once you hit the higher levels.

NotSure_sl

shitlord
Any one have some stuff for my level 1 gnome cleric Vizir. He hangs around freeport with his noob wooden club.
smile.png

edit: now level 3. cracked staff. No armor. Begging does not work on this server.
frown.png
Standing around bank looking sad.

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I can only play prime time (unfortunately) and in my experience BOTH ACs, the FBSS, etc, were always camped and there was a line waiting for the next spot.

I probably am being overly negative. I admit it. For me, live could be bad, but it was never quite like this, even on crowded servers (but I quit in 2004 so I can't speak to after that).

In live people camped what they needed and moved on because (generally), there was always a state of progession. Unless you were in a bleeding edge guild you were probably working your way closer to the end game most of the time. *One* of the problems with this server having been suspended in Kunark area for so long is that "flow" of progression has slowed to a crawl and there are tons of people with nothing to do but camp stuff for alts and plat. This is just the 1-60 game- like someone said, end game is even worse.

Again, this is just my experience. Take it or leave it as you will. But it was enough to make me move to red until they open a new blue (if ever).

As far as red goes, yes, ports, JC, and exp groups are a little harder to find, but they are absolutely there (and MUCH more reasonably priced). And I do believe the server pop has risen a bit in the last few months.
I have seen red's pop admittedly go up but I literally asked for JC for 3 or 4 days in /ooc and guild and had no joy so its possible I'm being overly negative about red. On the other hand being in the UK I don't often play at peak times. JC and other regular services on blue are priced fine in my opinion but you're right about the high demand and big ticket items - prices keep escalating.

AC spawn changed with last patch so it could now spawn at night from a much larger number of ph's wandering the desert rather than that specific one that everyone had nailed down and as its now a wanderer isn't campable anymore.

Its been implied that p99 is one big long beta for what I imagine will be a timeline specific server that will launch a couple of years down the line after Velious. I can't imagine that they are programming on/off switches for changes that they have already made for any other reason.

Kaljin

N00b
Here is a serious question and asking because I was on spare PC that I mainly use to do minimal things while I'm upgrading my main PC which is on the table atm.

Is Kelethin totally lag central when you first login or was it the PC? I mean it's only 2 years old for crying out loud and it's just EQ!

Noahx

N00b
Inflation might be crazy but you can also make pretty quick cash on HQ bear pelts and silk just to get up and running. At the speed of which you level, I don't think I care much about the raid scene atm.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
With Rogean's changes, raid scene on p99 has never really been better. Just so many more goddamn mobs and 16 hr variance makes tracking a breeze in comparison. Still gotta have giant guilds, batphone and ball hard when shit spawns but it's really not all that. Even Taken gets mobs now. Hell, I got a shissar apothic staff today. I'm ready for the velious donals nerf now :p