Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Watched Resident Evil : The Final Chapter

It's not a great series but this one was bad even in relation to the others. I thought the previous one was alright as it was mostly a series of homages to previous horror films but this one was just so terribly written. It doesn't do much of anything with what the previous film set up, a problem this series has always had, and it's just really really dumb.

The action is alright, most of the effects are fine, but the writing is just dumb. Did I mention the writing is dumb? It's dumb.

It's happening to us all but there were scenes where Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter just looked old. It was distracting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Just watched Disney Nature's Born in China. They got some pretty amazing footage of the wildlife. I was definitely not prepared to go on the feel trip at the end, though, fuck.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I just finished watching Speed Racer

. . . my head hurts from all the color and spinning-ness.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
My review for Speed Racer: Mildly entertaining Visuial vomit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Just watched The Mist. Bunch of people trapped in a super market during some kind of outbreak. It's from 2007 so the visuals are a bit dated but I had no problem with them and they got the job done. The ending is pretty intense and not for every one (quite bleak.) 7.5/10.

There are two cuts of the movie. I'd suggest tracking down the black and white version. The color version makes the effects look even more dated.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just watched The Mist. Bunch of people trapped in a super market during some kind of outbreak. It's from 2007 so the visuals are a bit dated but I had no problem with them and they got the job done. The ending is pretty intense and not for every one (quite bleak.) 7.5/10.

There are two cuts of the movie. I'd suggest tracking down the black and white version. The color version makes the effects look even more dated.

Watching it on my computer the VLC player I was using had a setting to just make something black and white. I'd guess most video players can do that?

So if you're a cheap fuck you don't have to buy the special edition.

• 1Like

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I wouldn't watch that if you plan on watching The Mist. They don't spoil the ending but they do show a pretty big "holy shit" moment near the end of the video.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I watched The Greasy Strangler (2016) - IMDb with friends yesterday. I thought it was hilarious and great. One of my friends was mad at me for choosing the movie, because it grossed her out so hard. So much what the fuck, but well done in my opinion and a awsome score.

Would recommend for drunken bad taste movie watching with friends. Watching it alone will make you feel like a crazy pervert most likely.

iannis

Musty Nester
I watched The Greasy Strangler (2016) - IMDb with friends yesterday. I thought it was hilarious and great. One of my friends was mad at me for choosing the movie, because it grossed her out so hard. So much what the fuck, but well done in my opinion and a awsome score.

Would recommend for drunken bad taste movie watching with friends. Watching it alone will make you feel like a crazy pervert most likely.

Can confirm. Watched alone.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Dredd - 8/10. Don't know how I avoided seeing it until now but when I saw it for sale on bluray for $3.50 that was easy to fix.. Was excellent, obviously has a lot in common with The Raid. Action not as tight, but Urban did a pretty good job as Dredd.
The Nice Guys - 8/10. Noir is probably my favourite genre. This one is no Chinatown but it is a lot of fun. Main letdown was how weak the twists were.. As soon as the main villain appears on screen it's obvious.

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

Quick notes on some of the best asian films I saw at a festival out of the 60ish:

I am not Madame Bovary - 5/5. Chinese arthouse administrative comedy about a women trying to get her fake divorce anuled so that she can divorce for real. A kind of satirical tongue in cheek version of Yimou's classic The Story of Qiu Ju. Very oddly, everything that takes place in the rural town uses a circular format. It takes a while to get used to it as it feels somewhat suffocating, but some of the compositions using it are absolutely stunning. Scenes that take place in Beijing use a seldomly seen square format, that also allows some very graphic compositions.

At the Terrace - 5/5. At the end of a posh party the hosts and some guests chat, argues and embarass themeselves and others on a terrace. A pure comedy of social interactions set like a theater play. Hilarious, witty and well paced.

Confidential Assignment - 4/5. A korean buddy movie thriller with a good dose of comedy and action. A super cop from north korea is teaming with a sly cop from south korea to find a north korean criminal in Seoul. The thriller elements come from the fact the NK cop is on a personal revenge mission on top of the official mission and the SK cop is tasked to make sure the investigation goes nowhere. The comedy elements come from the contrast between the two characters. Without being outstanding, everything works very well, but it sorta loses steam along the way as it adds another 20min after what could have been a decent ending.

Szlia

Cont...

Hamon: Yakuza Boogie - 4/5. A semi slacker that works as a middle man between mobsters and contractors finds himself teaming with an old school yakuza to find an old hustler more slippery than an oiled fish that conned too many powerful people. Nothing spectacular, but consistently entertaining.

Scoop! - 4/5. A crafty aging japanese paparazzi is teaching his trade to a young and naive journalist. The first half of the movie is pretty amazing, but the second half has many elements that I found dubious. Be it the discourse on journalism, the out of place romanticism of the love story and the parachuted conclusion. Still, the excellence of the first half, my unconditional love of Fumi Nikaido and some great performances (including the always brilliant Lily Franky) pushes the score to 4.

Other 4/5 movies. Korean drama about lost girl going back home, Canola. Japanese mental illness drama Over the Fence. HK mental illness drama Mad World (amazing performance by Eric Tsang). Surprisingly polished chinese goofy comedy Duckweed. Well made chinese teacher life comedy Mr Zhu's Summer. Taiwanese misanthropic monster movie Mon Mon Mon Monsters (who are the real monsters????). Korean feel good sport movie (as long as bowling is a sport...) with a retard Split. Delicate japanese dramedy with a young girl abandoned by her mother who ends up living with her uncle who happen to happily live with a transsexual, Close-knit. I'll put a trailer for that one too as it won both the public award (2nd was Split and 3rd Canola) and the Black Dragon award (voted by the people who have the highest accreditation level, so supposedly the more savvy movie goers).

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kong: Skull Island- 6/10 Soulless and paint by numbers. Totally forgettable.
It rustles me that they turned Kong into some protector god. Maybe they hope to go the Godzilla route and have every movie introduce a new threat to humanity/the island folk...

[edit] Just saw that there's an after credit scene/watched it... the most interesting part of the movie.

Last edited:

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Colossal (2016) - IMDb

It's a pretty different movie from what the trailers suggest. Tone is all wrong in the trailers, darker than I expected. It's from the 'Timecrimes' director, a movie that I loved. This is okay I guess. The concept is weird and interesting and while I get what they were trying to do but I just didn't really care. I think I just don't like looking at Anne Hathaway's creepy ass face.

6/10

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Kung Fury 8/10 (blaze up type movie 80s parody)
Drive 7/10 (not sure why everyone sucks this movies dick)

Oldbased

> Than U
Somehow I managed to go 25 years and never see Scent of a Woman until tonight. It aged well.

• 1Solidarity