Reacher

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Although I have not read nearly all of the Jack Reacher novels, I've gone through over a half dozen of them. Persuader, was my least favorite. Probably because it is NOT a Jack Reacher solo story. He always seems to be working for some other motivation than "Reacher justice." (ie., for the DEA or his new-found family, etc). The layers of distrust, conspiracy, obligations to others that the reader cannot align himself with (and the conflicts from these relationships) are overly convoluted. At times, you literally hate him and the things he is doing. He becomes a freak.

It's one thing to be a hulking force of nature enforcing his own rules; there's a vengeful justice in that. In Persuader, he and some of the side characters are so amoral and brutal that it is hard to stomach.

It's not one of the simplest stories, for certain. But it is also way over the top (even for Reacher). It is definitely NOT a feel-good tale or anything akin to "Die Hard" / "Under Siege" 80's action films.

It is the DARKEST of the Reacher novels I read and that is why it was the last one I read as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Banshee Is on a way different level. That show is a hidden gem
Agree on all the Banshee comments. I like Reacher when its just Reacher, the supporting cast in both seasons is not good due to the crappy "support" acting. Is there not a book written for Reacher when its just Reacher?

spronk

FPS noob
Not as good as season 1, never really felt any tension even though Robert Patrick was a pretty good villain. He just didn't have enough to do and it got a bit silly with how many employees he was losing and nobody seems to give a shit lol. It was kinda neat seeing Reacher in his "prime days" with a team but it really doesn't work for the character, him plus a few mini Reachers just made it felt like the Avengers vs nobodies the whole time. They really missed an opportunity to keep the old black guy, he woulda been fun to dole out advice in a "i'm too old for this shit" kinda way.

I guess it didn't help the show I watched before this was Slow Horses, which is one of the most bizarre spy shows I've ever seen but thoroughly enjoyable due to good writing and acting, while Reacher just has a massive dude getting into shit and thats pretty much the show

No Homo but I did wonder during the awkward sex scenes if reacher has a big dick due to genetics or if its tiny due to roids

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just started watching. I love violence solves everything in this show, feels very 80's like. Tits are a bit small on the cop sidekick, meh. Otherwise fine s1 so far. Is Reacher a big Mike Haggar type in the books as well? Tom cruise plays the character in the movies, right?

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just started watching. I love violence solves everything in this show, feels very 80's like. Tits are a bit small on the cop sidekick, meh. Otherwise fine s1 so far. Is Reacher a big Mike Haggar type in the books as well? Tom cruise plays the character in the movies, right?
The movie was much closer to the books, the issue people was Tom not being huge. books detailed him at like 6'6"and scared up or something like that. I rewatched the movie with Tom a week or so ago and its still holds up

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The movie was much closer to the books, the issue people was Tom not being huge. books detailed him at like 6'6"and scared up or something like that. I rewatched the movie with Tom a week or so ago and its still holds up
I had never heard about the books and when I watched the Cruise film and I really enjoyed it. After I heard about the books I understood the issue with the casting.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had never heard about the books and when I watched the Cruise film and I really enjoyed it. After I heard about the books I understood the issue with the casting.
I never watched the second movie, might put it on. First movie had a bunch of great scenes, Duvall is always great (93 years old sadly). Trying to find a Giant blonde A list actor in Hollywood is going to be impossible, Hemsworth or Skarsgard is maybe the only 2 I can thing of

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I read that the character in the books was described more like Alan Ritchson's Reacher.

That being said, one of the things I enjoyed about Tom Cruise's Reacher was how Innocuous his character is. You do not look at Tom Cruise(5 foot 5) and think of him as some badass motherfucker who can really hurt you. He is calm and calculating. He even warns you and makes sure you really want to do this. His character came off better as a thinker who used skill over brawn to win his battles. This is similar to the Equalizer movies with Denzel Washington. I appreciated the movie's character a lot more.

The show decided to go with "The Mountain" as Reacher and for me that takes away one of the elements I enjoyed with Tom Cruise's character. There is no way I would fuck with Alan Ritchson's Reacher just due to his physique. Six foot Two and 230 solid pounds is not innocuous. He would have a hard time of "blending in" as that kind of physique stands out. He is dangerous in appearance.

I preferred the thinking fighter over the mountain version.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I read that the character in the books was described more like Alan Ritchson's Reacher.

That being said, one of the things I enjoyed about Tom Cruise's Reacher was how Innocuous his character is. You do not look at Tom Cruise(5 foot 5) and think of him as some badass motherfucker who can really hurt you. He is calm and calculating. He even warns you and makes sure you really want to do this. His character came off better as a thinker who used skill over brawn to win his battles. This is similar to the Equalizer movies with Denzel Washington. I appreciated the movie's character a lot more.

The show decided to go with "The Mountain" as Reacher and for me that takes away one of the elements I enjoyed with Tom Cruise's character. There is no way I would fuck with Alan Ritchson's Reacher just due to his physique. Six foot Two and 230 solid pounds is not innocuous. He would have a hard time of "blending in" as that kind of physique stands out. He is dangerous in appearance.

I preferred the thinking fighter over the mountain version.
Ritchson is definitely more like the book character. He is imposing and his presence alone is enough to back people down. The intro in season 1 where he intimidates the dude coming out of the diner without saying a word is as accurate as you can get. Reacher also is not an innocuous character he is supposed to stand out. Although he is smart and methodical Reacher is also very violent.

The reason Reacher fans didn't like Cruise was because if it was named something besides Reacher, you wouldn't equate the two characters really.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Details Payattention GIF by Tonya Kubo

Just watched s1e8. Aaaaw, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Solid 80's rambo style raid. Haha, the ending of the black guy, splat. Good times with his bro. I liked the ending. Sure hope S2 is as good :)

• 1Like