Retro and New Video Game Picture/Video Thread

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm one of the handful of people in the entire world who figured out how to land on the aircraft carrier in top gun, and I was still a child when I did it.
rrr_img_94241.png
Bullshit! Level 1 was impossible and you know it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bullshit! Level 1 was impossible and you know it.
Newp. I beat the game. The final boss was a space shuttle that fired missiles at you. There were refueling segments that were almost as bad as the carrier landings.

rrr_img_94260.png

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
lol no its not bionic commando or metal gear. Those are incredibly obvious
biggrin.png

It was a side scroller if I recall but i also recall it being both horizontal and vertical scroller.

I have like every NES ROM imagineable, I should one day just spend hours to try to find it.
Legend of Kage?
rrr_img_94261.jpg

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Kabuki Quantum Fighter was oriental and definitely had too much brown, but the level names don't match and that was one of the only things he remembered.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Just like to throw this out there every now and then. I'm one of the handful of people in the entire world who figured out how to land on the aircraft carrier in top gun, and I was still a child when I did it.

rrr_img_94241.png
OMG fuck that game right in the ass. (Insert "Not Even Once" jpeg)

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Holy fuck Tanoomba, that collection is one way to practice safe sex. Anyone ever play Solar Jetman? Can't remember if that was real of the product of some bad drugs

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just like to throw this out there every now and then. I'm one of the handful of people in the entire world who figured out how to land on the aircraft carrier in top gun, and I was still a child when I did it.

rrr_img_94241.png
Landing on the carrier wasn't too tough, never did beat it though. Never forget the theme music to it either.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Was Top Gun considered really hard? I know my friend and I beat it several times, but we(my friend and I) went so long without any new games, that we'd probably just played it an insane amount of time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It wasn't a difficulty issue, it was the problem that the prompts for landing on the carrier were just plain wrong and if you followed them you would crash every single time. You had to learn how to do it by eyeball without paying any attention to the prompts, but once you learned how to do that the game wasn't too hard. I actually found an exploit where you could skip through most of the air combat in the levels just by steering your plane left the entire time, only correcting back to the middle long enough to shoot down locked on missiles.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah no lie, I beat that game by flying to the upper left corner of the screen through every level. They never lock onto you and you dodge all their attacks. The hardest part was not losing lives trying to land the plane or do the refueling.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Was Top Gun considered really hard? I know my friend and I beat it several times, but we(my friend and I) went so long without any new games, that we'd probably just played it an insane amount of time.
I remember landing in this game was just fucking impossible.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If we played it now, we'd probably be able to figure it out. But man, I had Top Gun as a kid and I don't think Ieverlanded properly.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I finally beat it but only because there was a contest (through Nintendo Power?) to see who could get the highest score. I remember beating the Space Shuttle level by the skin of my teeth and taking a picture of my final score next to the Top Gun Trophy. Landings took me a few times to get the hang of, but I found using the NES advantage controller helped a lot in that game.

TMNT on NES however?....Fuck that game. Impossibru.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
If we played it now, we'd probably be able to figure it out. But man, I had Top Gun as a kid and I don't think Ieverlanded properly.
I don't think we'd have the patience to go through it again. Like most NES game we fire up every now and then, we play it for 5 - 10 minutes and say "fuck this shit" lol. We had much more patience as kids.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Which design do you prefer? NES or Famicom?

I much prefer the small size and design of the Famicom but I don't like the fact that the controllers are permanently attached to the console. I also like the red/gold colors of the Famicom more than the boring NES colors. The controllers also look like they can be more comfortable to hold in the hands since the corners are rounded and not square like the NES controllers. Having a speaker on the second controller is pretty cool and I don't know why Nintendo would remove that on the NES version. Also, having an eject button is also a much better design choice than having to put the cart in and push down until it locks in place on the NES version console. I like the small design of the Famicom carts as well but I don't like that there are no labels at the top of the carts. The NES carts got that part right, at least. The NES looks like it was designed to look like a VCR which I believe was intentionally done by Nintendo so that it doesn't look like a toy since they just released almost right after the video game crash and wanted a more serious approach to video games. They even used the term "Entertainment System" and not "Video Game System" just so there's no reference to the video game crash. At the end of the day, what really matters are the amazing games we got to play on this timeless machine. Thanks to Nintendo, we are still playing games to this day and the gaming industry is bigger than ever!

rrr_img_117181.jpg

rrr_img_117182.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think we'd have the patience to go through it again. Like most NES game we fire up every now and then, we play it for 5 - 10 minutes and say "fuck this shit" lol. We had much more patience as kids.
And much lower expectations. That shit was the height of gaming when it came out. 30~ years later, not so much. That and Top Gun was just a terrible game.