Rings of Power: Tolkien's Shambling Skinsuit

Chris

Potato del Grande
The narrator was shit, Cate Blanchett read that poem x100 better.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The title reveals alot, though they could just throw it all out wheel of time style and just make shit up.

The history of this time was deeply sad as most of the very best people died here. I don't necessarily mean big heroes or generals, just large numbers of high elves.

The way I would do it: Spend a season in Eregion with the making of the lesser rings. Season 2 will be about the three, the one, and the fall of Eregion. Season 3 will be the rescue of the north by the vast power of numenor. Season 4 the subjugation of the south, capture of sauron, fall of numenor. Season 5 the last alliance.

There is so much amazing story in there. Big betrayals and mysteries and romance. The growing jealousy and greed for life that always seemed inevitable for the half elven, regretting the choice of Elros. It is something I think we can all relate to and echoes our own distant legendary history with the hyperboreans and atlantis.

The first thing to get right are the elves. The movies mostly just pasted ears on humans, though they made a bit of an effort with galadriel. These are vastly old and powerful people, tall and radiant with the light of the two trees from near the beginning of time. They deserve a bit more effort than digging the vulcan ears out from an old startrek set.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
465 million dollars for just season one buys you a lot of ear.

1642708501682.png

New Zealand government said spending on season one is already booking around 650 million

1642708582397.png

In 2018 Amazon stated they could shoot two seasons of LOTR for 500 million dollars, that's turned into 600 million for one season.

Tax rebate from New Zealand's government is 114 million dollars-- more in tax rebates than an entire season of Game of Thrones cost in it's prime.

Amazon’s spending will trigger a tax rebate of NZ$160 million ($114 million U.S). This is somewhat controversial in New Zealand as the government could end up on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars to help subsidize Amazon’s elves-and-hobbits drama series. Stuff reported that the country’s treasury has labeled the show a “significant fiscal risk” given there is no capped upside to how much Amazon — and therefore the government — might spend. But others point out that the boost in local spending by the production plus the potential tourism surge from Lord of the Rings fans far outweighs the taxpayer-funded kickbacks.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the show runners lack the humility to trust the source material, no amount of money will make the show enjoyable. We've seen this with WoT and Foundation. Narcissistic millennials cannot resist thinking they can do better than the author of the story they are working with.

• 14Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 16 users

spronk

FPS noob
was there a date? Sep 2nd will be when the first (more than 1?) episode drops

thats the new character, Fisty McFisty

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
<-------- Is what Sauron should look like in his fair/maiar form; Tolkien made it clear he had a dark elegance & charisma that deceived many in order to forge the rings of power. If they make him look beefy and grizzled in the beginning it'll be fucken stupid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
2nd age is a very dramatic time, they have a ton of good material to work with. High hopes..

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll definitely be waiting for some of my friends or folks here's opinions before I even bother.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'll definitely be waiting for some of my friends or folks here's opinions before I even bother.

Pretty sure folks here already have their minds made up.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Pretty sure folks here already have their minds made up.
Nah. There's always a handful of the ones who cannot help themselves, no matter how convinced they are beforehand.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nah. There's always a handful of the ones who cannot help themselves, no matter how convinced they are beforehand.

Oh I wasn't saying they won't watch. People on this board love to tune in to shows they hate week after week just so they can come on here and bitch about them.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Friend, I will be watching this for you. I'll let you know my opinion.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users