Rings of Power: Tolkien's Shambling Skinsuit

Sevens

Log Wizard
for the money they spent, they could have had actual Peter Jackson running this thing instead of two guys they found off the street with no past credits of any kind. i guess if they had hired Jackson, he would have required crazy shit, like keeping to what Tolkien would have intended instead of this retardation. and people saying the second trailer was better. they just chumped everyone by taking out the parts they know you wouldnt like in hopes to fool you into watching it.
Ahhh, you do know Jackson went far off of the story in LOTR, right (Just look at Faramir).
Christopher Tolkien actually HATED LOTR and refused to meet Peter Jackson.

Don't get me wrong, this show looks like trash and there is no way I will watch it, but dont hold Jackson up as some kind of Tolkien purist...he wasnt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ahhh, you do know Jackson went far off of the story in LOTR, right (Just look at Faramir).

Don't get me wrong, this show looks like trash and there is no way I will watch it, but dont hold Jackson up as some kind of Tolkien purist...he wasnt

the only criticism i had of the LOTR book trilogy was how much faggy songs/poetry was in it. if Chris is all pissy about that then he needs to calm down. you cant make this a musical. it would be unwatchable. i was very happy that Jackson nixed most of that in favor of story. yeah he went on a few detours from the book, but he kept things pretty close as possible to make a good movie and try to keep the purists happy. i think he did fine. he fucked up with the Hobbit because he tried to make a 200 page book into a trilogy like LOTR

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
the only criticism i had of the LOTR book trilogy was how much faggy songs/poetry was in it. if Chris is all pissy about that then he needs to calm down. you cant make this a musical. it would be unwatchable. i was very happy that Jackson nixed most of that in favor of story. yeah he went on a few detours from the book, but he kept things pretty close as possible to make a good movie and try to keep the purists happy. i think he did fine. he fucked up with the Hobbit because he tried to make a 200 page book into a trilogy like LOTR
I remember playing the 1990 LOTR game as a kid and hating every second of the poem shit that was put into that game from the book (only covered 1/3 iirc).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Some of the city shots look great but many of the character shots feel awfully sterile, it's just so obvious it's people in a studio with a cgi backdrop. It's not bad-bad, just lacks that authenticity to everything that made the Jackson LOTR trilogy so amazing. For the amount spent they could have done much better although probably it'd all have taken way more time.

View attachment 422164
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of these shots are side-scrolling shots with CGI, and they look boring.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
crazy thing is HBO's new Game of Thrones show will debut just 12 days before Rings of Power, each show cost hundreds of millions of dollars and it will be fascinating to see how the world reacts to both

Both are also prequels to giant IPs, both have huge fanbases who are very opinionated, both had severely disappointing recent releases (season 8 / The Hobbit), both have a "We Wuz Kangz" vibes, its gonna be a lot of fun shitty memes everywhere

oh and Star Wars Andor and She Hulk is also gonna be right in the mix as well, jesus christ!

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't mind Bombadil being cut but he gutted Faramir, Merry, Pippin, and Gimli, bungled Denethor, and action scenes involving Legolas started a little over the top and ended up completely cringeworthy by the third movie.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
for the money they spent, they could have had actual Peter Jackson running this thing instead of two guys they found off the street with no past credits of any kind. i guess if they had hired Jackson, he would have required crazy shit, like keeping to what Tolkien would have intended instead of this retardation. and people saying the second trailer was better. they just chumped everyone by taking out the parts they know you wouldnt like in hopes to fool you into watching it.

But the visuals would be better for it. Nobody has done it like Jackson.

The CGI looks sterile and fresh out of the box.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
But the visuals would be better for it. Nobody has done it like Jackson.

The CGI looks sterile and fresh out of the box.
for all the money they say they spent to produce this, i think its a bit misleading because they built infractructure for scenes and probably included the cost for all the seasons, not just one. either way i bet a lot of dummies eat this shit up. yeah it looks like the Star Wars prequels with all the fake backgrounds.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've been re-reading and just got through that bit a few days ago. I kind of skipped over the songs.

The barrow treasure pages were fascinating. I loved how Tom remembered who wore a brooch, and took it to give to Goldberry. Makes you wonder who it was.

In the mmo that particular barrow was one of the princes of Cardolan. So maybe the brooch belonged to his wife or daughter.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't mind Bombadil being cut but he gutted Faramir, Merry, Pippin, and Gimli, bungled Denethor, and action scenes involving Legolas started a little over the top and ended up completely cringeworthy by the third movie.
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

• 1Worf

Sevens

Log Wizard

legolas.jpg

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande

Imagine your life's work being to edit your father's hobby, not being your own man at all.

I don't like a few changes Peter Jackson made in the 2nd and 3rd movies, but they were 95% faithful and that first movie was actually PERFECT.

I only read The Silmarillion and fell in love with Tolkien's work because of those movies, being salty about it like Christopher Tolkien is pathetic.

• 1Solidarity

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
New trailer was definitely an improvement but still not optimistic. They just saw all the backlash and felt the need to make a better trailer.

The visuals looks good but the costume designs still look awful. I don’t understand the homeless hobbit look. Pretty much the opposite of what a hobbit is.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I recently rewatched LotR a few months back and I finally understood why fellowship is my favorite of the movies. The stuff that Peter Jackson changed is extremely non-intrusive in fellowship, but have pretty far reaching consequences. The further you get in the movies, the heavier the effects of what he changed. They all initially feel superficial but pretty much everything Tolkien wrote was intertwined (except for bombadil, which is arguable, but that's a different conversation).

The barrow dens are huge, for example. It seems like just an interesting set piece that you can ultimate skip for time, but in reality, they tie DIRECTLY into the fall of the witch-king. The barrow blades that the hobbits get were specifically made to fight the ring wraiths, and merry used that blade to wound the witch-king, which is what allowed eowyn to kill him. The barrow blade specifically broke the enchantment on him.

And that's what made that scene so cringe in the movie, because it was a "girls get it done" scene that didn't fit in with anything else. One of Tolkien's main messages is how even the most unlikeliest of things can change the world, like hobbits, like banged up old swords, and yes, women who were relegated to housework.

The scene works in the books because it demonstrates ALL of those things perfectly, as well as the idea that things happen for a reason, no matter how insignificant they seem. But the movie ignores all that and completely misunderstands the entire point of the moment.

Listen, Peter Jackson will always hold a special place in the hearts of nerds everywhere for taking the genre seriously, and while he definitely made a point to try not insert his own politics into someone else's work, he misunderstood that work in a lot of places

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I recently rewatched LotR a few months back and I finally understood why fellowship is my favorite of the movies. The stuff that Peter Jackson changed is extremely non-intrusive in fellowship, but have pretty far reaching consequences. The further you get in the movies, the heavier the effects of what he changed. They all initially feel superficial but pretty much everything Tolkien wrote was intertwined (except for bombadil, which is arguable, but that's a different conversation).

The barrow dens are huge, for example. It seems like just an interesting set piece that you can ultimate skip for time, but in reality, they tie DIRECTLY into the fall of the witch-king. The barrow blades that the hobbits get were specifically made to fight the ring wraiths, and merry used that blade to wound the witch-king, which is what allowed eowyn to kill him. The barrow blade specifically broke the enchantment on him.

And that's what made that scene so cringe in the movie, because it was a "girls get it done" scene that didn't fit in with anything else. One of Tolkien's main messages is how even the most unlikeliest of things can change the world, like hobbits, like banged up old swords, and yes, women who were relegated to housework.

The scene works in the books because it demonstrates ALL of those things perfectly, as well as the idea that things happen for a reason, no matter how insignificant they seem. But the movie ignores all that and completely misunderstands the entire point of the moment.

Listen, Peter Jackson will always hold a special place in the hearts of nerds everywhere for taking the genre seriously, and while he definitely made a point to try not insert his own politics into someone else's work, he misunderstood that work in a lot of places

He understood perfectly. But, you can only fit so much of a book into a movie and things were cut for time as well as trying to make the movies reach a wider audience.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users