Routers & Other Networking Stuff

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like overkill for a church? Do they need gigabit to speak to the man upstairs? :)

I have a couple of the home office grade Cisco routers, they would certainly do the job supporting vlans, ipv6, as well as vpn
Exactly what @a_skeleton_03 said. They want it because of the live streaming, and when 200+ members all swamp your WiFi, I suppose it can be useful.

The Edgerouter X is for sure probably overkill, but at that price, who cares? That, and I didn't see any other clear winners on Amazon, but I admit I didn't look very hard.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
You can always get a cheap older server and put a couple 4 port NICs in it then install pfsense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
@a_skeleton_03 said. They want it because of the live streaming, and when 200+ members all swamp your WiFi, I suppose it can be useful.

The Edgerouter X is for sure probably overkill, but at that price, who cares? That, and I didn't see any other clear winners on Amazon, but I admit I didn't look very hard.[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like WiFi coverage is the primary concern, you could recycle all the old routers you have and turn them into access points, or consider something like this...saw it the other day not sure if its just marketing...
Canada Computers & Electronics | Networking | Netgear Orbi High-performance AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBK50)

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you want good access points, Ubiquity enterprise equipment is solid. I also hear good things about the orbi.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Just installed a bunch of Ubiquiti stuff at home, 2 APs and a Gateway. Great stuff so far. Got a key for remote management because reasons. Lots of data about what's going on w/ my network.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Just installed a bunch of Ubiquiti stuff at home, 2 APs and a Gateway. Great stuff so far. Got a key for remote management because reasons. Lots of data about what's going on w/ my network.
A key? Lots of data? This sounds interesting. What do you mean?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, online demo here - UniFi

The key just runs the controller, provides remote access. Otherwise the controller has to run on a PC to allow you to configure and manage things. Doesn't have to be running all the time but then it doesn't gather data (as I understand it)

Key - Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® Cloud Key

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Which Gateway did you get? I recently added the Uniti Pro AP to my house and I love it. Considering replacing my router with theirs as well.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I got theirs, Amazon.com: Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG): Computers & Accessories

Not gonna lie, was supper happy to see green all the way across the dashboard in management. Could have gotten something else, more ports, etc. But really wanted to play with the full stack of their hardware. Too bad I already had a decent switch (a 16 port Netgear)

(not my image)

dashboard.png

I need to enable the VOIP as a standard port still, but that's just a quick command line thing I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Spent about 3 hours on the phone with my buddy trying to help him out with his networking issue. He's got the Edgerouter X router, Cisco SG200-26 switches, and then the new Google Wifi he's trying to use APs, which I'm not even sure he can.

It's a hot mess, and it shouldn't be, but it's been a hot mess.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
He should be able to run the google stuff in bridge mode. I'd honestly dump the router though and just hang the switch off of the google unless there is something super special he needs that he can't get from google.

Crone

He should be able to run the google stuff in bridge mode. I'd honestly dump the router though and just hang the switch off of the google unless there is something super special he needs that he can't get from google.
Well I suppose the setup was getting too technical. This all started a week ago when he was having issues, because he was trying to use multiple subnets on the same network, and he didn't realize you can't just assign an IP on a device and have it work with that IP address.

I said you can have multiple subnets, but need to work with VLANs, and his home router didn't support VLANs that I could figure out or find, so he ordered the ERX.

But now the ERX won't hand out any address other than what was automatically setup in initial setup, which is DHCP server from ports 1-4 (Eth1, 2, 3, 4) while Eth0 is where the WAN connection plugs in.

So after initial setup he created a VLAN 11, setup it's default gateway of 10.10.11.1, and setup a DHCP server for it. This is created as a sub-interface of Eth1, so Eth1.11.

Then on the Cisco SG200-26 he's plugged into GE10, as Untagged. GE25 is the trunk and has it as Tagged.

And it's not working. The video below basically did exactly what we did, and it worked, and had no conflicts with the existing DHCP server, but for some reason ours is.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone think of what installing, launching, and connecting to a VPN would leave behind within some Network setting on a computer that would persist after disconnecting and uninstalling the VPN client?

I can't find my other work networking issue thread so I'll just leave this here.

Longer story is there were a bunch of devices on our network my application couldn't see and was saying may be http or https blocked. After months of on / off testing one of our field techs mentioned his new laptop was having difficulty connecting to these devices locally (he had no issues previously). So connected to his VPN to do something on our network, then noticed his machine could connect.

So on my test server I tried the same thing and all of a sudden it could see like 40+ devices spread across 4 states without issue. I tried to break it again by uninstalling the VPN, rebooting the computer, etc, but it has stayed fixed.

Now, because I have no idea why / how that would have fixed an issue that I don't know why it exists, I can't fix it on my primary server. Network Security won't let me install VPN on our data center servers where my production app is running that our different NOCs monitor. And since I can't break my test app again, can't test.

That's the long story. Along with all the other shit that was in the other thread months ago.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'll see if I can figure out what is included with the Cisco VPN install package. If I can find those and delete them and manage to rebreak my test server that'd be pretty awesome.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Can anyone think of what installing, launching, and connecting to a VPN would leave behind within some Network setting on a computer that would persist after disconnecting and uninstalling the VPN client?

I can't find my other work networking issue thread so I'll just leave this here.

Longer story is there were a bunch of devices on our network my application couldn't see and was saying may be http or https blocked. After months of on / off testing one of our field techs mentioned his new laptop was having difficulty connecting to these devices locally (he had no issues previously). So connected to his VPN to do something on our network, then noticed his machine could connect.

So on my test server I tried the same thing and all of a sudden it could see like 40+ devices spread across 4 states without issue. I tried to break it again by uninstalling the VPN, rebooting the computer, etc, but it has stayed fixed.

Now, because I have no idea why / how that would have fixed an issue that I don't know why it exists, I can't fix it on my primary server. Network Security won't let me install VPN on our data center servers where my production app is running that our different NOCs monitor. And since I can't break my test app again, can't test.

That's the long story. Along with all the other shit that was in the other thread months ago.

Without knowing your network topology maybe some of your devices are on a subnet that you don't have routes set up for in your local networking hardware, but when you VPN, the routes are set up correctly from wherever the VPN host is. So those hosts are unreachable from your default state, but when you VPN to the home office, you can reach them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've been in the lab most of the day trying stuff out. A guy that works in another dept on web development stuff had a program called Zenmap we were using to scan stuff out between working and non working sites against the two different servers.

It definitely looks like certain sites are trying to, for some reason, hit the proxy server...

One idea we have also is that it looks like the proxy server is severing connection to the end device because we can see a lib.js file fail to load and the response has an error from our proxy server address with an error HTML file....

So maybe when we connected the VPN the server cached this/these lib.js files it is pulling and on subsequent connections doesn't need to re d/l or create so many connections, so the proxy and/or problem node isn't timing out and cutting us off.