Runescape Nxt

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So Runescape is the undying MMO, it's been around for as long as I can remember. It seems to be getting another huge upgrade soon. They're finally leaving Javascript back! Just thought it'd be interesting to talk about. I always pop into Runescape every few months. It's hard to believe this game is still around and growing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
So Runescape is the undying MMO, it's been around for as long as I can remember. It seems to be getting another huge upgrade soon. They're finally leaving Javascript back! Just thought it'd be interesting to talk about. I always pop into Runescape every few months. It's hard to believe this game is still around and growing.

but its runescape...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They go for realistic water but then the rest still has the "old as fuck" look.

Only people I ever heard playing this were young kids(8-15ish) who couldn't get parents to pay for a sub to the other mmos.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't know... looks as good, if not better, than Albion Online.

Whatever happened to Tibia? Speaking of the 8-15 year olds, they were always using our Public Library and College lab computers to play Tibia. Drove me crazy. They were so obsessed with it.

Why could EQ do something like this though? Whenever they updated their zones, they looked worse. You could have easily recreated EQ classic and possibly even Kunark via Unity or other engines and made a good attempt at this. I've thought about making some zones myself just to try to keep some people together to at least bring Classic EQ to life but not sure if it would be worth the time. If I would have known the MMO genre would have been so stale this long, I probably would have tried at last a piece of it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They go for realistic water but then the rest still has the "old as fuck" look.

Only people I ever heard playing this were young kids(8-15ish) who couldn't get parents to pay for a sub to the other mmos.
I have 4 nephews that still play this and they pay for the "old school" server.

It's that generations EQ that there is no reason to still be playing but people still do.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have 4 nephews that still play this and they pay for the "old school" server.

It's that generations EQ that there is no reason to still be playing but people still do.
What generations EQ? Ours? The games are practically the same age.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I just think it's impressive considering the game started out as this...

rrr_img_127450.jpg

As for why this never happened with EQ... I'm guessing because Runescape just gets fully revamped, where as EQ just got loaded down with half sassed revamps and sequels. As for weather adults play Runescape, yeah, they do. There's quite a few Runescape twitch players. When this NXT thing releases I might give it a whirl. There's nothing else out worth a damn.

As for Tibia online, it's still around... Looks the same as it always has, though.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Do they have traditional servers? I've never played Runescape but it is slightly intriguing. Is there a server with old school MMO players? Can't help but cheer for these guys a little now as they seem to have taken care of their core game and not, as previously mentioned, added crap around it.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I got suspended for a bit from EQ for training people and played Runescape. Only thing I really remember doing was scamming people into paying for shitty weapons thinking they were runite or whatever the best shit was.

iannis

Musty Nester
I played runescape for a little while. It's a neat little game. Considering their obvious lack of a budget, they managed to do a lot with a little.

It is/was a LOT like EQ. Except there was no real group content. But back when I played it was mostly kids playing it.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Do they have traditional servers? I've never played Runescape but it is slightly intriguing. Is there a server with old school MMO players? Can't help but cheer for these guys a little now as they seem to have taken care of their core game and not, as previously mentioned, added crap around it.
Negative. They have tons of servers, some with a focus on minigames, or bossing, but you can go on to any of them

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
NXT is now live.

For some reason it is running my GPU warmer than WoW/FFXIV lol. Sitting at the login screen tho, to download the cache data (about 8gb).