Running

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
As a part of the route I took this weekend, I ended up on some sand. While the instability on running on it wasn't great I could feel less "action" on my knees compared to the asphalt/concrete/tar I was normally running on. Are there any paths you could run on instead of streets?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If you're getting in to running, it's very worthwhile going to a store dedicated to running where the staff is knowledgeable to help you pick the right shoes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you're getting in to running, it's very worthwhile going to a store dedicated to running where the staff is knowledgeable to help you pick the right shoes.
A million times this.

I forgot my shoes one morning when I drove over to a friend's place to run with him... and I didn't believe the difference between my running shoes and my regular shoes that happen to also be a different style of running shoes.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with the above as well. When I was properly sized it made a big difference. I also order the same shoe every time, I haven't changed in years, I think that consistency is important and that you don't keep changing brands/models.

Also don't let your shoes get too old, that will lead to injuries.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I concur. As I said, I've only been running for a bit over 2 years, but when I started, I got sized/analyzed/whatever at a running store, and haven't worn a different brand/size/style since. It's great.

Last edited:

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
So i started taking my phone on my short runs today and playing pokemon go for shits and giggles. Ran 10km, it recorded 0.8km...I won't be taking it again.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Pokemon Go tracking is shitty. The speed limit is aggressively low so you can't even bike, the tracking is shit so straight lines are the only way to continually add in mileage, and recording of the data is just all over the place. I have been tempted to run Pokemon Go, Strava, and Spofity on the short runs, but Pokemon Go is the last app so I'm not going to bother.

Any recommendations for a GPS watch? I dislike taking my phone but I really want to record my splits/runs/routes.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I use the Garmin Forerunner 220. This is the model before they started to have built in heart rate monitors. I love the watch, its not bulky like my old Garmin but it picks up a signal way faster and it tells the time too! I don't know how well the heart rate monitor works on newer models, maybe someone who has one of those can chime in.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I don't know that I need a HR monitor yet (though I have a wireless one I can wear). I just want timing. I'll have to check that out.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I use a Forerunner, forget which model #, but wasn't overly expensive. Supports heart rate strap as opposed to measuring the wrist. I read that the wrist measurements aren't as good as the strap but idk how true that is. I don't use the heart rate monitor most of the time though. Mainly used it during training periods.

Also 100% agree about the shoes... buy from a running store. Socks are also a big deal imo. Make sure to wear what you train with. I made a big mistake using different socks for my last marathon which totally fucked me. The thickness was slightly higher which pressed on my toes, had 2 big black toenails that had to fall off and re-grow. 9 Months later they are back to normal again. They went numb during the race, was annoying.

Basically what happened was I couldn't find 1 of my compression sleeves and ended up buying a pair of compression socks the day before at the convention but I should have just said fuck it and went with a normal pair of socks for the day and nixed the compression stuff altogether. The difference in thickness wasn't evident at first but by mile 20 it was killing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I use a Forerunner, forget which model #, but wasn't overly expensive. Supports heart rate strap as opposed to measuring the wrist. I read that the wrist measurements aren't as good as the strap but idk how true that is. I don't use the heart rate monitor most of the time though. Mainly used it during training periods.

Also 100% agree about the shoes... buy from a running store. Socks are also a big deal imo. Make sure to wear what you train with. I made a big mistake using different socks for my last marathon which totally fucked me. The thickness was slightly higher which pressed on my toes, had 2 big black toenails that had to fall off and re-grow. 9 Months later they are back to normal again. They went numb during the race, was annoying.

Basically what happened was I couldn't find 1 of my compression sleeves and ended up buying a pair of compression socks the day before at the convention but I should have just said fuck it and went with a normal pair of socks for the day and nixed the compression stuff altogether. The difference in thickness wasn't evident at first but by mile 20 it was killing.
Yeah I just bought socks. On my last half I wore thicker socks and it gave me blisters on the tips of my toes. So now it's bodyglide and thin socks :|

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Rule #1 Do not try anything new on race day!

I use double layer socks, helped solve some foot problems I had early on.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I need some advice, dudes. When I run, the only things I can focus on is how long I've been running for, how far I've gone, and when I can stop running. I can never lose myself in the run, and I dwell on this shit so much it makes running fairly unpleasant and almost stressful. I've tried music, podcasts, running inside, running outdoors...

Do I just super hate running? How do you guys not get so painfully bored during a run?