Running

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I need some advice, dudes. When I run, the only things I can focus on is how long I've been running for, how far I've gone, and when I can stop running. I can never lose myself in the run, and I dwell on this shit so much it makes running fairly unpleasant and almost stressful. I've tried music, podcasts, running inside, running outdoors...

Do I just super hate running? How do you guys not get so painfully bored during a run?

I go with podcasts, concentrating on breathing, on straightaways ill close my eyes and listen to the birds and shit.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I need some advice, dudes. When I run, the only things I can focus on is how long I've been running for, how far I've gone, and when I can stop running. I can never lose myself in the run, and I dwell on this shit so much it makes running fairly unpleasant and almost stressful. I've tried music, podcasts, running inside, running outdoors...

Do I just super hate running? How do you guys not get so painfully bored during a run?
Thinking about the run will always make it worse. Music usually becomes background noise. Most of the time I'm thinking about stuff, RL or even gaming related. Planning out my day, week, life or thinking about some gaming strategy. If you can occupy your mind then the runs become a breeze.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
One thing i did was streamed LoL Worlds during my run last year and only listened to the commentary... since it was like 6am my time when it started

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm

haha.
well, one are you doing treadmills/tracks or road running.
like, I can not stand treadmills/tracks. boring as hell. Road running, on the other hand.. I also bike/hike, etc. so, I can just go and look at trees, and the like.
My route:
I have an apartment complex (wave to locals, often out+their dogs.), beach(always people), some rural houses-people/kids rarely out, other side is woods occasional deer, grapes/trees. then the horse field-wave to the horses. past that, the tree farm. past that, more rural houses-dogs, and then the dairy farm. wave at the cows and farmhands. from there closer to downtown, houses always have people out on porchs/kids playing. most of the way back home.

so thats just the "enjoy nature", smells/sounds of spring/summer/fall. and saying hi to neighbors. Checking out their flowers, decks, houses, etc. Also, yeah, totally decompress thinking of work, plans. game systems, internet arguments, what I SHOULD have said!", etc..

Have done music before of course as well. not recently, but that should help as well.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got a new pair of socks and it seemed to help with the toe-tip blisters... but one toenail is turning red/black, so I think I'm gonna lose that one eventually. C'est la vie.

I've got the incredible ability to completely zone out anything I'm doing while focusing on something completely unrelated. So I'll put on music if I'm alone and just think about my next bike race, or setting game night, or about the next meal I'm going to cook, or...

radditsu

I had one of my braces being washed so i went without it. I may have gained enough power back in my left knee to drop it entirely. My right may be a lost cause. I pushed my pace a little more and did well. I still think everything is just too heavy. I plod like a fucking mule.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

I think you just super hate running. Not everyone likes every type of exercise. Lots of people force themselves to run just because they feel like they're supposed to, despite not enjoying it at all. I have a theory this is the source of a lot of people's complaints about exercise feeling like work and being miserable; they want to start exercising so they go for a run (because that's the standard cardio exercise) and they end up hating it and quitting. They don't realize exercise can be enjoyable IF you pick a form of exercise that is actually pleasurable for you.

I feel the same way as you about running, and as soon as I start all I can think about it how awful it is. My suggestion would be to try a form of cardio that you actually enjoy. You could try biking, hiking, jumping rope, playing any number of sports, swimming, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't enjoy the act of running about half the time but when I'm done a run I feel awesome. It's the payoff at the end that's worth it. I can enjoy a run when I get lost in my thoughts, weather is great (nice and chilled) and roads are peaceful. Also prefer AM runs as opposed to PM.

I dislike runs when I'm hurting for whatever reason (didn't eat right night before, soreness, weather is poor/hot, etc) or if I'm in a time crunch or have something I want to attend to and it feels like running is taking time away from whatever else.

Running is great for relieving stress but usually I don't feel the relief until mid-end of run. The beginning is always hard.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've been running ultra marathons for the last three years. A couple months ago I started getting this stiffness/pain in my ankle every morning when I woke up and now it's actually progressed to any time I've been immobile for more than an hour or so it feels really stiff, but if I get too active on it (going for a run) then it gets pretty sore. The pain isn't so severe that it would really be a problem for me, it's more the fact that it indicates some sort of injury that has me worried.

Also my diet matches my running schedule, so I'm going to get fat as fuck soon.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I only run outside, my long runs take me down along the lake, through parks and next to multi million dollar homes. I run early so I see lots of animals on my runs (Deer,Foxes, Coyotes, squirrels, Rabbits etc.) Having great scenery really helps the time go by although at around the 15km mark there is this bakery...it smells so good...then I get hungry and run faster so i can get home.

35km training run happening this Saturday...followed by a pool party an hour after...going to be so tired.

• 1Like

Caliane

Got bit by a dog out running yesterday. Same route I usually go. They were unattended today, and 1 of the 3 was unchained/leashed. He/she came out into the road to bite me.

Caliane

nah. bite to the arm, is just a scratch/abrasion a bit. bite to the side/back on the ribcage is deeper. I thought it punctured for a while, but when cleaning it, it just seems like a deep surface wound as well. like someone doing scarification. So, just anti-biotic oinments on it.
Aches/bruised bad. Annoying to sleep on.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Well my next marathon is fast approaching on Oct 2nd. I started breaking in a new pair of shoes today that I will be using for race day. Training has been good overall but my nutrition hasn't been the best. I'm not overly optimistic at hitting 3hrs but we shall see what the race day conditions are like.

I need some good midday snack ideas. Thoughts?

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well my next marathon is fast approaching on Oct 2nd. I started breaking in a new pair of shoes today that I will be using for race day. Training has been good overall but my nutrition hasn't been the best. I'm not overly optimistic at hitting 3hrs but we shall see what the race day conditions are like.

I need some good midday snack ideas. Thoughts?
I don't think I can give you tips on it, I'm still struggling.

I tried to hit 20 to start to taper after and failed out at 16 due to knee pain. I was finally satisfied with hydration and nutrition (though I was 10 miles out but I thought my planning was ok). My marathon (first) is on Oct 9th... I'm not sure if I want to go get new shoes or if I should just halt any changes to my routine.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>

I tried to hit 20 to start to taper after and failed out at 16 due to knee pain. I was finally satisfied with hydration and nutrition (though I was 10 miles out but I thought my planning was ok). My marathon (first) is on Oct 9th... I'm not sure if I want to go get new shoes or if I should just halt any changes to my routine.

Since its your first I wouldn't change anything. Just remember to start the race a bit slower, number one mistake people make is going out too fast and paying for it on the back half.

I've been running awhile so I know i can break the shoes in within the next two weeks, they are the exact same size/make/model as my old shoes.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Shoes can be a cause of knee pain though. Usually I don't feel the affects of poorly fit shoes until 15+ mile mark. You might want to hit up a running store and see what they have to offer. Getting in a few 15+ mile runs on a new pair will break them in quickly. I have always hit my 20 mile target during training. A lot of affects don't start occurring till those later miles.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Shoes can be a cause of knee pain though. Usually I don't feel the affects of poorly fit shoes until 15+ mile mark. You might want to hit up a running store and see what they have to offer. Getting in a few 15+ mile runs on a new pair will break them in quickly. I have always hit my 20 mile target during training. A lot of affects don't start occurring till those later miles.
I got them from a running store though. I'm not even slated to hit another 15 mile before the marathon :|

radditsu

Changed out my insoles last night. It made a good bit of difference, albeit I am still getting used to going without braces so my calves were on FIRE by the end of 5k. You apparently use a ton of muscles to stabilize knees. Who would have thought?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I got them from a running store though. I'm not even slated to hit another 15 mile before the marathon :|

Ah yea, 2 weeks out, you are tapering off. Well, at this point you gotta trust your training.