Salem's Lot (2024)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That one's not too bad. I think I read a lot of them and enjoy them because my stepmom used to read all of his stuff. We used to take family trips in the minivan driving up to Wisconsin or out to Colorado, etc.

It'll be a 24-hour trip, and she used to read his novels with my sister and brother and my dad and I and the vehicle. Dad would be up late driving and we'd stay up just listening to her read.

I just ended up reading a bunch of his books because of that. I think I still have all of her copies of his novels that she had bought from used bookstores and what have you.

I was one of those things that we could always talk about, or watch the movies or miniseries together. Once I got older, I was able to suggest other books and stuff and we have great conversations his work his work.

She's the reason I've seen all of the horror movies as a kid. Every weekend you go to the video rental store, and pick out a scary movie.

Fuck, I really miss her., but thanks for making me remember that stuff. No bullshit.
I love to see horror bring family together. Thanks for sharing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I love to see horror bring family together. Thanks for sharing.
It screwed up because I remember asking her when my dad started dating her what's the scariest movie you've ever seen, and she said The Thing.

I know the first time I saw it as a kid it blew my mind, but Alien was still the scariest movie I ever watched when I was young.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You want to read the book, it's one of his best works. I read it every few years. There's a fantastic audio version available.

It's from the legendary era when King was doing copious amounts of Coke and drinking a case of tall boys every night. Then when he got on the wagon, became A faggy leftist.

Salem's Lot (the book) was from 1975. King was drinking heavily at the time, but it was before his coke days, which wouldn't start until a few years later. Salem's Lot was from the era where King's books had a super tight narratives and great pacing. Just the right amount of character building- enough to get you invested in the characters, but not so much that you have pages and pages of internal character dialog.

Don't get me wrong- King is such a good writer that even his 80's coke-era writing is extremely readable. I mean, It was classic coked up King and it was fantastic.

You basically have three different King eras:

Alcoholic King
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining

The Stand
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
etc.

Cocaine King
Cujo
The Running Man
Christine
Pet Sematary
The Talisman
It
Misery
etc.

Sober King
Everything since roughly 1988

My personal favorite King era was alcoholic King, but frankly it's all great.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Salem's Lot (the book) was from 1975. King was drinking heavily at the time, but it was before his coke days, which wouldn't start until a few years later. Salem's Lot was from the era where King's books had a super tight narratives and great pacing. Just the right amount of character building- enough to get you invested in the characters, but not so much that you have pages and pages of internal character dialog.

Don't get me wrong- King is such a good writer that even his 80's coke-era writing is extremely readable. I mean, It was classic coked up King and it was fantastic.

You basically have three different King eras:

Alcoholic King
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining

The Stand
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
etc.

Cocaine King
Cujo
The Running Man
Christine
Pet Sematary
The Talisman
It
Misery
etc.

Sober King
Everything since roughly 1988

My personal favorite King era was alcoholic King, but frankly it's all great.
Proud Of You Yes GIF