Science Ethics and Racism in Drug Enforcement Thread

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If there's no enforcement mechanism then it's like the league of nations, a good idea only. I mean there's some soft power there and influence but nothing is going to stop a country like china if they want to do it.
No. The enforcement mechanism is multifold. There are the state and local regulatory bodies, there are the academic regulations and rules, there are international regulatory processes that inform the lower systems. Since it is an international effort, there is no military enforcement short of a world war, which everyone wants to avoid.

So then hodj, and I'm not baiting you here, what is ethics? Who decides what is ethical?
Ethics is a branch of philosophy that involves creating systems that recommend concepts of right and wrong.

ethics - Google ?j?M

And the people who decide what is ethical in science is the international scientific consensus and community.

You've godwin'd this argument two posts after I told you to make your final statements, ergo you lose. Cad is the winner. If you guys want to continue an ethics discussion do so in another thread.
You can't Godwin an argument about medical ethics when the fucking Nuremburg Code is the foundation of modern medical ethics.

Also the only reason I responded is because Cad responded.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.[2]

Godwin's law does not claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons. "Although deliberately framed as if it were a law of nature or of mathematics, its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust", Godwin has written.[11]
No one is glibly comparing someone else to Hitler or the Nazis. No Godwinning of anything has occurred.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
How is talking about the ethical implications of biomedical research a derail from the sciences?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Summation of the argument:

Cad: "Governing bodies determine what science is and isn't definitionally ethical, therefore a body that has no authority on a group of scientists can not define what is ethical for them."

Hodj: "Here are some bodies who have no authority on these groups of scientists. Therefore what they did is definitionally unethical."

khalid

Unelected Mod
Hodj, you have claimed that ethics are universal. I don't agree with this or perhaps I am not understanding your pov.

I mean, in practice, there is some sort of consensus on ethics. However, it isn't universal in that it changes over time and will change in the future as more things become possible and we see possible benefits to risky procedures (or perhaps discover that things are doing now are riskier than we thought). It seems these standards are malleable and will be malleable. I don't really think this is a bad thing. As rational human beings, we can have discussions and move what is ethical and what isn't as we get more information.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How is talking about the ethical implications of biomedical research a derail from the sciences?
Because I am the governing body that determines the ethics of your shit posting. So it is definitionally unethical for you to damage my beloved science thread with philosophy, law and governance.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Cad: "Governing bodies determine what science is and isn't definitionally ethical, therefore a body that has no authority on a group of scientists can not define what is ethical for them."

Hodj: "Here are some bodies who have no authority on these groups of scientists. Therefore what they did is definitionally unethical."
+1

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

Governing bodies, as in, governments, don't determine ethics, or again, every act we consider a crime against humanity committed during the second world war is now, by your definition, entirely ethical.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Governing bodies don't determine ethics, or again, every act we consider a crime against humanity committed during the second world war is now, by your definition, entirely ethical.
There are a lot of people who consider retroactively applying our laws and feelings on people as we did at Nuremberg and calling it "crimes against humanity" patently unfair.

Who are we to say what is or isn't a crime against humanity in another country? Isn't that country a sovereign? We can choose to place trade restrictions on them to influence them, or we can invade them to militarily impose our ethics on them, but that doesn't make what they did per se unethical.It means we won, and we won the right to impose our ethics on them.

If people in another country choose to follow their own ethical guidelines that do not mesh with ours, how do we have the stones to say "no, *OUR* ethics are correct, yours are wrong!" These are all matters of opinion.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm still stuck at why you think ethics has mystical power. I think it's unethical that there's basically indentured servants making products in Asian countries for me, but fuck if I'm going to pay $25 for a plain t-shirt so I guess pragmatism wins out. Loomers gotta loom.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There are a lot of people who consider retroactively applying our laws and feelings on people as we did at Nuremberg and calling it "crimes against humanity" patently unfair.
Name some.

Who are we to say what is or isn't a crime against humanity in another country?
We're human beings who aren't going to just sit by and watch human rights be violated on a daily basis without saying something. We're people with a sense of morality and fairness, and justice. Or at least, some of us are. The others are what we define as sociopaths. People incapable of empathy

Isn't that country a sovereign?
No. North Korea putting its citizens in concentration camps for folding the newspaper the wrong way such that the crease falls on the face of Dear Leader, is unethical. Their sovereignity is irrelevant. In fact, nations are artificial lines we've drawn on a planet that are arbitrary and ultimately meaningless. We are one species.

We can choose to place trade restrictions on them to influence them, or we can invade them to militarily impose our ethics on them, but that doesn't make what they did per se unethical.
No, what makes it unethical is that it is a violation of basic standards and guidelines which are followed for the purpose of best protecting the stakeholders involved.

Your layman's understanding of how ethics in the sciences works is the real issue here.

How do you handle human remains in archaeological excavations, Cad? Can you tell me? Well I'll tell you, if we can tie those remains back to any populations, be they Native, be they African American, be they White, etc. wecontact the stakeholders, and get their input before moving forward with the exacavation. This can stop an entire excavation for weeks or months. The teams of lawyers, legal counsel, federal, state and local governments, representatives for the communities/families/etc involved all get to come in and have their voices heard. Then a decision is made as a group.

The sciences are generally very well self regulated. Places like China are the wild west, but that doesn't make their conduct ethical, moral, or good, just because they are engaging in that research in a place with no accountability. In fact the lack of accountability is thesingle best argument for why the research is unethical in the first place.

I'm still stuck at why you think ethics has mystical power. I think it's unethical that there's basically indentured servants making products in Asian countries for me, but fuck if I'm going to pay $25 for a plain t-shirt so I guess pragmatism wins out. Loomers gotta loom.
This is just a non sequitor strawman. No one thinks ethics is some magical power coming down to us from the sky. Our sense of morality, fairness and justice is a result of mutually beneficial positive selection for pro social behavior, actually.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Name some.
The drafters of the U.S. constitution, for one. Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3.

We're human beings who aren't going to just sit by and watch human rights be violated on a daily basis without saying something. We're people with a sense of morality and fairness, and justice. Or at least, some of us are. The others are what we define as sociopaths. People incapable of empathy
Interestingly, we do all the time! See: any recent genocides in Africa. See: Genocide in China prior to Japan attacking us. See: the Cultural Revolution in China or the purges in the USSR. "We will not sit by and watch..." ... unless it doesn't happen to coincide with a world war that we had to wage for other reasons. Then we absolutely will sit by and watch! Happy genociding!

No. North Korea putting its citizens in concentration camps for folding the newspaper the wrong way such that the crease falls on the face of Dear Leader, is unethical. Their sovereignity is irrelevant. In fact, nations are artificial lines we've drawn on a planet that are arbitrary and ultimately meaningless. We are one species.
And we've done what to stop North Korea from doing that?

No, what makes it unethical is that it is a violation of basic standards and guidelines which are followed for the purpose of best protecting the stakeholders involved.
Well thats a hand-waving fucking vague standard if I ever heard one.

This is just a non sequitor strawman. No one thinks ethics is some magical power coming down to us from the sky. Our sense of morality, fairness and justice is a result of mutually beneficial positive selection for pro social behavior, actually.
What I want you to do is define ethics such that I can see what it draws from. And since I know you're not going to do that since it would undermine your argument, I'll do it for you: ethics derives from our cultural standards of decency and morality, a lot of which derive from our social structure and religious experiences and indoctrination. News flash bro: their culture is different. Their religion is different. Their history with religion is different. Their social structures from top to bottom are different. Your ethics don't work for them. And acting like you can just impose what you think on them because reasons is stupid.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Because I am the governing body that determines the ethics of your shit posting. So it is definitionally unethical for you to damage my beloved science thread with philosophy, law and governance.
Lol-worthy, btw

Would +1 you if I could

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Hodj trying to connect the is to the ought and failing.

Our sense of morality, fairness and justice is a result of mutually beneficial positive selection for pro social behavior, actually.
And when someone else disagrees with you, how do you resolve which ethical system is the one true system? Burn the heretics?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The drafters of the U.S. constitution, for one. Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution in Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3.
So...to make it clear...the people you're citing for proof of the claim that
Is a group of people who lived and died almost 200 years prior to the events under discussion?

El. Oh. Fucking. El.

The Nuremburg Code isn't a law. Its a code of ethics. And it isn't ex post facto. Everyone knew what the Germans were doing at the time, and the Japanese, it was no secret, and it wasn't considered ethical or moral by anyone except the Eugenicists movement.

Interestingly, we do all the time! See: any recent genocides in Africa. See: Genocide in China prior to Japan attacking us. See: the Cultural Revolution in China or the purges in the USSR. "We will not sit by and watch..." ... unless it doesn't happen to coincide with a world war that we had to wage for other reasons. Then we absolutely will sit by and watch! Happy genociding!
Two wrongs fallacy

And we've done what to stop North Korea from doing that?
Two wrongs fallacy

Well thats a hand-waving fucking vague standard if I ever heard one.
Proof by assertion fallacy

What I want you to do is define ethics such that I can see what it draws from.
What we derive our ethics from is our mutually beneficial positively selected evolutionary paths for pro social behavior. And I already said that so everything you say after this is lolworthy tripe.

And when someone else disagrees with you, how do you resolve which ethical system is the one true system? Burn the heretics?
Debate and discourse with the stakeholders and other involved parties, unless of course the people violating that ethical system are doing so by invading their neighbors and slaughtering them. Then we have a war.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's funny that hodj thinks the academics are ultimately in charge.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
it's funny that hodj thinks the academics are ultimately in charge.
The sciences are, in fact, an academic venture.

Its funny that Cad thinks regurgitating multiple fallacies of reasoning per post is a rebuttal.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
yeah and who pays for your research? cause it's not the academics. The hand that feeds is always above the hand that receives.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No, the funny thing is that you're not addressing the actual issue, which is who decides what is ethical and who enforces that.

You're basically saying, Western Science decides whats ethical, and sure, nobody can enforce it, but it's still unethical for them to do it!

According to our standards, yes. What about according to their standards?