Science Ethics and Racism in Drug Enforcement Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hodj is either incapable of understanding your point, or unwilling to respond to the core issue.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No, the funny thing is that you're not addressing the actual issue, which is who decides what is ethical and who enforces that.
I've addressed that multiple times. When it comes to the sciences, the scientific community reaches a consensus that includes all relevant stake holders.

The funny thing is you have not a single person you can name that agrees with you claim that there are lots of people who think what the Germans did was ethical or that it was wrong for us to label their actions as unethical retroactively (I can name a group of people who most definitely think what the Germans did was ethical, but I really don't think you mean them, or want to side with them, since, you know, they're all literally Neo Nazis). There were lots of people screaming to the world that what the Germans and the Japanese were doing was immoral, unethical, a violation of every human right and every concept of scientific and medical ethics, including the Hippocratic Oath, which has existed in one form or another for thousands of years.

You're basically saying, Western Science decides whats ethical, and sure, nobody can enforce it, but it's still unethical for them to do it!
No, there is no "Western Science" and "Eastern Science" just like there isn't "Your logic" and "My logic"

There's just "Science" and there's just "Logic".

According to our standards, yes. What about according to their standards?
There is no "our standards" and "their standards". There's just "Standards".

Hodj is either incapable of understanding your point, or unwilling to respond to the core issue.
You can repeat this tripe until you're blue in the face, not only have I directly addressed his point repeatedly, but he has devolved to repeatedly regurgitating fallacious appeals, appeals to non existent people that he claims supports his point of view, and fallen into a realm of moral relativism that is devoid of absolutely any functional use or value.

Further, my position is theposition of the broad body of scientists globally

So the only people misunderstanding here is you, and Cad.

iannis

Musty Nester
It is unethical for them to do it. Yes, Reasonable Men can differ... but then on the other hand kill all Faulty Armors.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The funny thing is you have not a single person you can name that agrees with you claim that there are lots of people who think what the Germans did was ethical
Are you fucking stupid hodj? This is not what I said, at all. Move those goalposts, moon bat.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
While the governing body should not dictate the ethics, in science research, the body potentially controls the money. Thus inadvertently controls the ethics. By controlling what is funded.

Say you as a researcher has a topic you was to research, that is contrary to the consensus about the subject... But you think you are right... The body does not Grant the money, hindering the science. The research gets done, your research confirms your supposition, you publish... And get thrown to the wolves by the consensus.... Get tossed in an insane asylum for years....

Years later your career ruined.... Your research that got you ruined.... Is proved correct, and the consensus wrong...

Ethically you were right, you did sound research, which was right. ethically, the people who ruined him, thought they were right, because "everyone" knew that research was wrong .... Who wins then... The person was ruined... Yet according to consensus, both parties, were ethical.

Btw that research was about sterilization of surgical instruments.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Are you fucking stupid hodj? This is not what I said, at all. Move those goalposts, moon bat.
I wasn't trying to imply you said people think what the Germans did was ethical, that's how it came out but I've clarified the point I was trying to make.

Its time for you toput up or shut upwith some names of some people who think "retroactively calling what the Germans did unethical is wrong".

However you want to phrase it. You made the claim. Your "Evidence" was to cite the fucking Founding Fathers.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Hodj,

My issue is that you can state: "X is unethical." and substantiate it with "Plus, these guys agree with me" until you're blue in the face but if the Chinese scientists say ("lol no") then there really is no discussion to be had. Appealing to some objective codification of ethics in science based on some idea of "well we think this is best for society" is exactly what any other man or group can do, is doing, and will do. It's a pointless argument; why not just fast-forward to consequential ethics?

"You guys shouldn't do that, it's bad for these reasons..."
"We disagree."
"Okay, well, then I'm going to stop you." OR "Well, we'll be really upset about it. Btw can you share your results?"

This appeal to some lofty international idea of ethics is just absurd -- when has the worldeverbeen united on a question like: ("What is right and what is wrong?") All I parse when I'm reading your posts is that you're introducing the idea that a group (maybe the majority) has tentatively agreed on some issues of right/wrong and therefore it objectively encompasses the whole of human behavior in this field? What the fuck? This is typically the realm of JDI theists.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This appeal to some lofty international idea of ethics is just absurd -- when has the worldeverbeen united on a question like: ("What is right and what is wrong?")
Nuremberg trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here ya go Cad, I found someone who agrees with your claim that the Nuremburg trials were wrong because they ex post facto applied ethical standards to past conduct

You'll see. A few years from now the lawyers of the world will condemn this trial. You can't have a trial without law.[64]
-Joachim von Ribbentrop
20 November 1945

Joachim von Ribbentrop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ulrich Friedrich Wilhelm Joachim von Ribbentrop (30 April 1893 - 16 October 1946) was Foreign Minister of Nazi Germany from 1938 until 1945. A successful businessman, he was appointed German Ambassador to London in 1936.

Ooops.

Now I can legitimately Godwin this discussion because we literally have Cad repeating the arguments made....by the Nazis....for why they shouldn't be able to be held accountable...for their crimes against humanity.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't trying to imply you said people think what the Germans did was ethical, that's how it came out but I've clarified the point I was trying to make.

Its time for you toput up or shut upwith some names of some people who think "retroactively calling what the Germans did unethical is wrong".

However you want to phrase it. You made the claim. Your "Evidence" was to cite the fucking Founding Fathers.
Bzzzzt! You're wrong! Smelly butts fallacy!

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Nuremberg: A Fair Trial? A Dangerous Precedent - The Atlantic

EJIL: Talk! Was Nuremberg a Violation of the Principle of Legality?

The Nuremberg Trial: Landmark in Law | Foreign Affairs

The Nuremberg Trial: A Beautiful Idea Murdered by Ugly Facts?

This is easy hodj, because criminal law has such standards. If you want to convict people of crimes, a LOT of conditions have to be met. Nuremberg was nothing more than Victor's Justice, applying our laws to their conduct. Had the Germans won, they would have executed our leaders too, so no biggie. Just so you realize, thats all it was.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
if Germany had won the war they would have put the allies on trial and they would have lost those trials and been hung instead, that's only determined by the winners, another way to look at this this is, if every US president were held accountable by the principles of the Nuremberg trials they would have been all been found guilty.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Not to mention, the Allies had plenty of so-called "war crimes" as well. Hodj is just going to say "TWO WRONGS FALLACY LOLOL" but it shows that Nuremberg was nothing more than making sure the losers were punished for losing.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I know, you've already linked that. An appeal to majority rule? This dialogue doesn't go any further than someone saying: ("I disagree with the outcome of the Nuremberg trials.") and me saying ("Well, I think you're wrong. If you do shit like that again, maybe we'll stop you again.")

You can reduce any ethical argument down to: X pisses me off, Y really pisses me off. If you do X I'll be mad. If you do Y I'll go stop you. It's all a matter of opinion until you invoke some objective derived-from-God set of rules.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
if Germany had won the war they would have put the allies on trial and they would have lost and been hung instead, that's only determined by the winners, another way to look at this this is every US president if they were held accountable by the principles of the Nuremberg trials would be found guilty.
Had the Nazis won the war there wouldn't have been trials at all. There would have just been people being marched off to the new Concentration camps formed across the globe.

See also my edit to my previous post where you are now simply regurgitating the arguments made...by the Nazis...to defend themselves.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Had the Nazis won the war there wouldn't have been trials at all. There would have just been people being marched off to the new Concentration camps formed across the globe.

See also my edit to my previous post where you are now simply regurgitating the arguments made...by the Nazis...to defend themselves.
Just because the Nazis did it doesn't automatically make it incorrect. You're just Godwin'ing yourself all over the place here, Tanoomba.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Go look at how they had to shut up Goring at Nuremberg because there was no way to convict him against his logic and they said that his line of reasoning and defense was forbidden for all other defendants.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Hodj is now trying to deflect from his original indefensible position and will argue the minutia of Nuremberg and other war crimes. Classic Tanoomba tactic.

WHEN WILL HE ADMIT IT WAS ABOUT HITMAN. FUCK.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nuremberg: A Fair Trial? A Dangerous Precedent - The Atlantic

Before I come to the discussion of the legal and political questions involved, let me make it clear that nothing I may say about the Nuremberg trial should be construed as a suggestion that the individual Nuremberg defendants or others who have done grievous wrongs should be set at liberty. In my opinion there are valid reasons why several thousand Germans, including many defendants at Nuremberg, should either by death or by imprisonment be permanently removed from civilized society. If prevention, deterrence, retribution, nay even vengeance, are ever adequate motives for punitive action, then punitive action is justified against a substantial number of Germans. But the question is: Upon what theory may that action properly be taken?

It is sometimes said that there is no international law of war crimes. But most jurists would agree that there is at least an abbreviated list of war crimes upon which the nations of the world have agreed. Thus in Articles 46 and 47 of the Hague Convention of 1907 the United States and many other countries accepted the rules that in an occupied territory of a hostile state "family honour and rights, the lives of persons, and private property, as well as religious conviction and practice, must be respected. Private property cannot be confiscated. Pillage is formally forbidden." And consistently the Supreme Court of the United States has recognized that rules of this character are part of our law. In short, there can be not doubt of the legal right of this nation, prior to the signing of a peace treaty to use a military tribunal for the purpose of trying and punishing a German if, as Count 3 charges, in occupied territory he murdered a Polish civilian, or tortured a Czech, or raped a Frenchwoman, or robbed a Belgian. Moreover, there is no doubt of the military tribunal's parallel right to try and to punish a German if he has murdered, tortured, or maltreated a prisoner of war.

In connection with war crimes of this sort there is only one question of law worth discussing here: Is it a defense to a soldier or civilian defendant that he acted under the order of a superior?

The defense of superior orders is, upon the authorities, an open question. Without going into details, it may be said that superior orders have never been recognized as a complete defense by German, Russian, or French law, and that they have not been so recognized by civilian courts in the United States or the British Commonwealth of Nations, but they tend to be taken as a complete excuse by Anglo-American military manuals. In this state of the authorities, if the International Military Tribunal in connection with a charge of a war crime refuses to recognize superior orders as a defense, it will not be making a retroactive determination or applying an ex post facto law. It will be merely settling an open question of law as every court frequently does.

The refusal to recognize the superior-order defense not only is not repugnant to the ex post facto principle, but is consonant with our ideas of justice.
Your very first link contradicts you. Should I continue?

EJIL: Talk! Was Nuremberg a Violation of the Principle of Legality?

Was Nuremberg a Violation of the Principle of Legality?

his is, remarkably, the question raised by yesterday's judgment of the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights in Kononov v. Latvia, App. No. 36376/04. In short, the applicant was a former Soviet partisan convicted by a Latvian court for war crimes, because during World War II he and the unit under his command killed a group of Latvian villagers who collaborated with the Germans. The case raised many issues of the law of armed conflict/IHL, such as combatant and civilian status - but importantly, how the law applied inter-temporally, i.e. what the law was in 1944, when the alleged crime was committed.

The Chamber 4:3 judgment in favour of Kononov was much criticized for various methodological reasons, and not just for its ultimate result. The Grand Chamber reversed the Chamber's judgment, finding in favour of Latvia by 14:3, and is technically of significantly better quality. The ultimate result of the case and some nitpicking I would have with certain elements of the Grand Chamber's reasoning aside, what interests me the most is its basic approach, and the broader implications that it might have....

So, would it have been? Logically, the London Charter was either declaratory of pre-existing custom, or a substantive retroactive imposition of criminal responsibility. The position of the IMT itself on this point is ambiguous, as it both stated that the Charter 'it is the expression of international law existing at the time of its creation,' and that nullum crimen was a 'principle of justice' that was satisfied merely on the count that the defendants knew that what that they were doing was wrong - IMT judgment, at 38-40. In effect, the IMT held that nullum crimen did NOT necessarily mean what the Latin says - that there has to be law criminalizing specific conduct at the time of the offense. This, however, is not an interpretation of the principle that seems to be open under Art. 7 ECHR - and therein lies the rub.

There has always been a tension in international criminal law between the requirements of strict legality and considerations of substantive justice. Time and again, the positive law has proven inadequate precisely when it was most needed. This, in turn, lead judges either to downgrade nullum crimen to a mere 'principle of justice,' as was arguably done by the IMT, that would be satisfied even by a showing that the perpetrators of heinous acts knew that what they were doing was wrongful - if not illegal - or to creatively 'discover' supposedly pre-existing law to fill in the gap between the factual and the normative, as was done on so many occasions by the ICTY and the ICTR.
Did you read these links at all Cad, yes or no?

The Nuremberg Trial: Landmark in Law | Foreign Affairs

The defendants at Nuremberg were leaders of the most highly organized and extensive wickedness in history. It was not a trick of the law which brought them to the bar; it was the "massed angered forces of common humanity." There were three different courses open to us when the Nazi leaders were captured: release, summary punishment, or trial. Release was unthinkable; it would have been taken as an admission that there was here no crime. Summary punishment was widely recommended. It would have satisfied the immediate requirement of the emotions, and in its own roughhewn way it would have been fair enough, for this was precisely the type of justice that the Nazis themselves had so often used. But this fact was in reality the best reason for rejecting such a solution. The whole moral position of the victorious Powers must collapse if their judgments could be enforced only by Nazi methods. Our anger, as righteous anger, must be subject to the law. We therefore took the third course and tried the captive criminals by a judicial proceeding. We gave to the Nazis what they had denied their own opponents -- the protection of the Law. The Nuremberg Tribunal was thus in no sense an instrument of vengeance but the reverse. It was, as Mr. Justice Jackson said in opening the case for the prosecution, "one of the most significant tributes that Power has ever paid to Reason."

The function of the law here, as everywhere, has been to insure fair judgment. By preventing abuse and minimizing error, proceedings under law give dignity and method to the ordinary conscience of mankind. For this purpose the law demands three things: that the defendant be charged with a punishable crime; that he have full opportunity for defense; and that he be judged fairly on the evidence by a proper judicial authority. Should it fail to meet any one of these three requirements, a trial would not be justice. Against these standards, therefore, the judgment of Nuremberg must itself be judged....

What really troubles the critics of Nuremberg is that they see no evidence that before 1945 we considered the capture and conviction of such aggressors to be our legal duty. In this view they are in the main correct, but it is vitally important to remember that a legal right is not lost merely because temporarily it is not used. What happened before World War II was that we lacked the courage to enforce the authoritative decision of the international world. We agreed with the Kellogg Pact that aggressive war must end. We renounced it, and we condemned those who might use it. But it was a moral condemnation only. We thus did not reach the second half of the question: What will you do to an aggressor when you catch him? If we had reached it, we should easily have found the right answer. But that answer escaped us, for it implied a duty to catch the criminal, and such a chase meant war. It was the Nazi confidence that we would never chase and catch them, and not a misunderstanding of our opinion of them, that led them to commit their crimes. Our offense was thus that of the man who passed by on the other side. That we have finally recognized our negligence and named the criminals for what they are is a piece of righteousness too long delayed by fear.

We did not ask ourselves, in 1939 or 1940, or even in 1941, what punishment, if any, Hitler and his chief assistants deserved. We asked simply two questions: How do we avoid war, and how do we keep this wickedness from overwhelming us? These seemed larger questions to us than the guilt or innocence of individuals. In the end we found an answer to the second question, but none to the first. The crime of the Nazis, against us, lay in this very fact: that their making of aggressive war made peace here impossible. We have now seen again, in hard and deadly terms, what had been proved in 1917 -- that "peace is indivisible." The man who makes aggressive war at all makes war against mankind. That is an exact, not a rhetorical, description of the crime of aggressive war.

Thus the Second World War brought it home to us that our repugnance to aggressive war was incomplete without a judgment of its leaders. What we had called a crime demanded punishment; we must bring our law in balance with the universal moral judgment of mankind. The wickedness of aggression must be punished by a trial and judgment. This is what has been done at Nuremberg....

It is this principle upon which we must henceforth rely for our legal protection against the horrors of war. We must never forget that under modern conditions of life, science and technology, all war has become greatly brutalized, and that no one who joins in it, even in self-defense, can escape becoming also in a measure brutalized. Modern war cannot be limited in its destructive methods and in the inevitable debasement of all participants. A fair scrutiny of the last two World Wars makes clear the steady intensification in the inhumanity of the weapons and methods employed by both the aggressors and the victors. In order to defeat Japanese aggression, we were forced, as Admiral Nimitz has stated, to employ a technique of unrestricted submarine warfare not unlike that which 25 years ago was the proximate cause of our entry into World War I. In the use of strategic air power, the Allies took the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians in Germany, and in Japan the destruction of civilian life wreaked by our B-29s, even before the final blow of the atomic bombs, was at least proportionately great. It is true that our use of this destructive power, particularly of the atomic bomb, was for the purpose of winning a quick victory over aggressors, so as to minimize the loss of life, not only of our troops but of the civilian populations of our enemies as well, and that this purpose in the case of Japan was clearly effected. But even so, we as well as our enemies have contributed to the proof that the central moral problem is war and not its methods, and that a continuance of war will in all probability end with the destruction of our civilization.

International law is still limited by international politics, and we must not pretend that either can live and grow without the other. But in the judgment of Nuremberg there is affirmed the central principle of peace -- that the man who makes or plans to make aggressive war is a criminal. A standard has been raised to which Americans, at least, must repair; for it is only as this standard is accepted, supported and enforced that we can move onward to a world of law and peace.
The Nuremberg Trial: A Beautiful Idea Murdered by Ugly Facts?

THIS CONTENT WAS WRITTEN BY A STUDENT AND ASSESSED AS PART OF A UNIVERSITY DEGREE. E-IR PUBLISHES STUDENT ESSAYS & DISSERTATIONS TO ALLOW OUR READERS TO BROADEN THEIR UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IS POSSIBLE WHEN ANSWERING SIMILAR QUESTIONS IN THEIR OWN STUDIES.
I'm not even going to read past that on the fourth link. You're citing a students essay for their final undergraduate project. Please. Spare me.

Hodj is now trying to deflect from his original indefensible position and will argue the minutia of Nuremberg and other war crimes. Classic Tanoomba tactic.
At this point, you cited four separate links to justify your position, and upon reading them, none of them do. So you're going to try and slander and attack. Because you're pathetic, and know you've lost this debate.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Is this the new Kentucky thread?
This shit is getting old.

When you guys realize that you've laid your gauntlet down on a topic that your best defense of is to appeal to fucking Goering and Ribbentrop's appeals to the invalidity of the international Nuremburg trials to judge them, let me know.

I'm gonna take a break now, and let Cad pick up the pieces of his shitty and unsupported opinion.