Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

iannis

Musty Nester
I was going to try to get a paragraph together for maximum points, but decided that i didn't want to.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Read that list and found you guys tend to score higher than me when we argue. I make a few points, but the list is poisoned in a way that makes it almost impossible not to score some points via interpretation when you talk about anything related to science.
which items are poison?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
A few of the very early ones and #16 are pretty easy to score points on. The list for the most part is very fair though. I guess the -5 points to start is there to acknowledge the fact that some points will happen.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Wait so if furry doesn't believe in Quantum physics, does he believe in alternate models or is this some kinda cookoo lumie shit? Bohm or pilot-wave or something?

Troll_sl

shitlord
We don't know. He's only said that foundational aspects of QM are wrong and he knows better. He's never actuallytoldus anything.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
QM is mostly fine with me. My problems are mostly with QE, and a couple various fringe theories. QM, especially the parts used in particle physics/QFT is fine with me. This is also the part of QM that was developed before QM even existed. It was only later added to the theory. Troll likes to say I hate all of QM, despite my repeated correction of that belief.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If I can add to that, I think Furry has been pretty clear about it. He believes in QM, but thinks a lot of physicists overstate the applications or function of QM in many fields, ex: QE and intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent what is happening in QE experiments.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I remember it, I just didn't understand it. I don't know if anyone understood it. Including Furry.
My rant was against negative -RESULTS- being irrational, if they can't be calculated with a frame of reference that makes them positive. Not even QE falls to this standard. Of course, people here heard negative numbers and assumed I hate all negatives, which is not true. The main culprits of negative results being used to base real theories are in completely unproven science fields, such as holographic theories and string theories.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Great conversation about the irrational nature of physics between Max Tegmark and Sam harris that is very applicable to this discussion.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...ou-you-you-you

As for Furry's argument, pretty sure he used the argument of not being able to see negative numbers in the real world. Well, I can't see viruses either. Of course we can see some evidence of those though, but what if we go down to the quark level? It is a vacuous statement and argument. The universe doesn't have to make sense and in many ways is directly counter-intuitive. Whenever you say to some result that you don't like it because "feels", that is a problem.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Great conversation about the irrational nature of physics between Max Tegmark and Sam harris that is very applicable to this discussion.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...ou-you-you-you

As for Furry's argument, pretty sure he used the argument of not being able to see negative numbers in the real world. Well, I can't see viruses either. Of course we can see some evidence of those though, but what if we go down to the quark level? It is a vacuous statement and argument. The universe doesn't have to make sense and in many ways is directly counter-intuitive. Whenever you say to some result that you don't like it because "feels", that is a problem.
You obviously don't have the slightest understand of what im talking about. Again, I'm not talking about negative numbers, I'm talking about absolute negatives which aren't based off frames of reference. Concepts that fall into this void are things like negative mass and negative volume.

Troll_sl

shitlord
You obviously don't have the slightest understand of what im talking about. Again, I'm not talking about negative numbers, I'm talking about absolute negatives which aren't based off frames of reference. Concepts that fall into this void are things like negative mass and negative volume.
Okay. You've completely proved you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Negative mass and volume are purely hypothetical and only being used as exploratory tools. Nobody has actually said they exist or that they even could exist.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Okay. You've completely proved you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Negative mass and volume are purely hypothetical and only being used as exploratory tools. Nobody has actually said they exist or that they even could exist.
plenty of theories say they exist, and I think they're bullshit.